Customize

Barrett Brown: Threats To FBI & Raid by FBI

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Sep 11, 2012.

1. RavenEyes Member

Yes, he can. It's great to see his talent with a clean and sober mind. I enjoyed his piece.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Nancy Beazley Member

Why give that asshole [EDIT: Sabu] ANY publicity?
  3. RavenEyes Member

He can be an asshole and yet still be a talented writer...right?
  4. Nancy Beazley Member

Right. I meant Sabu was the asshole.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. A.O.T.F Member

js.jpg

"You never faced a 100 years in prison you self righteous prick.
    Most of my friends are locked up and rotting away because they talked to Barrett, one too many times, - why!?

They wanted to expose government surveillance, the prism program, embezzlement, abuse, fucking torture, lies!. You're a journalist, who gives a shit .. We're fucking soldiers. It's personal for me now. I don't have a choice, but you still do."

Hmmmmm
    • Like Like x 1
  6. A.O.T.F Member

GjV4d3p.jpg

What would you do?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Nancy Beazley Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Thanks Nancy, very interesting.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RavenEyes Member

I can't wait until "24" comes back on 5-5-14.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. hasnulife Member

Oh my, poor Barret. The story is almost quixotically comical and I enjoyed it very much. A narrative well written at the least and potentially career starting as a writer at best. He is immensely stronger than most. When I imagine being confined in an area with large dangerous people with small minds , constantly subjected to the butchery of the English language and violence it invokes something worse than fear or disgust, certainty that I would succumb to the Cobain solution.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Nancy Beazley Member

Uh, he is a writer.

Really.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Nancy Beazley Member

• Like Like x 3
  13. A.O.T.F Member

Told ya so .. :D

Nice one Gregg .. Well done.
  14. muldrake Member

Lots of people are writers, including some really dumb ones.

Barrett Brown is actually a really good writer, though. Those are rarer.

He had struck me as basically an annoying dick earlier in his career, but damn, he's managed to write some good things behind bars. Time to let him go. What possible purpose does it serve to keep a guy like this in prison?
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Disambiguation Global Moderator

So well rit.
  16. Disambiguation Global Moderator

He is a wonderful trophy for the US prosecutor there.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. A.O.T.F Member

I'm hoping that Barrett will get to see this .. Somehow.

Discuss
  18. hasnulife Member

This should be the top priority for any U.S. citizen who wants to impact our broken political process. The two party system is ludicrous. In the modern era there are too broad a range of political issues to be divided amongst two parties, so many things swept under the rug thanks to quiet "gentleman's agreements" among party leaders. Protecting a free and open internet with real privacy rights is one such issue. The legalized bribery of legislators and bureaucrats has spiraled out of control. Corporations are now people, Billionaires can have more impact on elections than the electoral votes of 10 states combined. There are so many more problems that would likely have never happened if we had a multi-party congress, I could go on for awhile longer but most of us around here know these things all too well. We should all spread the word , get everyone with half a brain and a fragment of a conscience anywhere near California to attend. They should approach Bernie Sanders to speak there as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. muldrake Member

The problem is any single member plurality voting system tends almost inevitably toward a two-party system. This is one of the few principles in political science so well established it is actually called a law, specifically Duverger's law.

Part of this is the perverse result of voting for a minority party candidate more in line with your beliefs, which is likely to have the exact opposite result you want, that is, the candidate you like least gets elected. This forces voters into the pattern of basically voting against what they don't like rather than voting for what they do like.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. hasnulife Member

Which only makes negative ad campaigning all the more effective, further empowering extremely wealthy individuals and PACs. I had not read Duverger's law and have limited understanding of political science itself on the whole. Thanks for some needed exposure. Although I'm in no position to make any assertions within this field, I still believe the ascension of the Independent party would be the best course for remodeling our current electoral college system(Which both Republicans and Democrats have caused and obviously do not wish to change). The fear of an individual's vote working in favor of the major party they oppose is a difficult obstacle as many would view this as their vote having note counted in a winner take all election. Those individuals would of course be wrong. Every vote counts even if your chosen candidate did not win.

I will not let myself be caged between my disappointment in the Democrats and outright disdain for Republicans. Recent polling shows that I am not alone in that sentiment
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/record-high-americans-identify-independents.aspx
  21. A.O.T.F Member

22. A.O.T.F Member

The Criminalization of Journalism: Icelandic MP Birgitta Jonsdottir Pens Open Letter in Defense of Jailed Journalist, Barrett Brown

The Criminalization of Journalism

by Birgitta Jonsdottir

If Barrett Brown is found guilty we will all be forced to rethink how we use the Internet and share information, knowledge, blog, report, tweet, use facebook and google.

His case has been like a long drawn out fiction since he was arrested in Dallas at gunpoint by a heavily armed raid on his apartment on the 12 of September 2012. He has been kept in prison ever since, charged with 17 counts that include threatening a federal agent, concealing evidence and disseminating stolen information. He faces a maximum sentence of 100 years in custody and has been placed under gag order by specific request of the government.

Continued - http://www.sparrowmedia.net/2014/02/barrett-brown-birgitta-jondottir-letter/
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Is sparrowmedia blocked in the US? Because it aint loading.
  24. laughingsock Member

It loads for me.
  25. Disambiguation Global Moderator

It loaded, but slowly. Thanx for the link
  26. What's up with our "leader"?
  27. Disambiguation Global Moderator

This is so hard. He is charged with something we do as a matter of course but got arrested for being an idiot.
  28. What?
    Threatening FBI agents.
    He crossed the line from journalism to being Anon's unofficial spokeshole/lleaderfag.
    Does he deserve the harshness of the sentence
    No.
    Are the government making an example, no doubt.
    Was anything of value lost.jpg?
  29. muldrake Member

Actually, he was already being prosecuted for absolutely nonsensical charges. They were basically gaslighting him. Then he lost his shit, and yes, he fucked up there. He gave them an actual reason to arrest him, and I hate to say that they have a case of some sort against him, but they do. At least enough of one to have a chance of surviving a motion to dismiss.

So much for that speedy trial bullshit in the Constitution. They certainly aren't rushing him to trial when they have him exactly where they want him.
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Barrett is very valuable.
  31. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Applause-o.gif
  32. PresidentShaw Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. Only as a prisoner.
    Unless of course you mean opcartel and then trying to blame it on the jester.
    Then getting paranoid about hit squads from endgame.
    Or barretts claim that he took part in op payback against Amazon, then makes a book deal with Amazon.
    Or op metalgear on irc, which did fuck all.
    If you can pinpoint something of worth that I have missed, feel free to post it.
    Although I get the impression you weren't around in late 2010.
  34. PresidentShaw Member

Is barrett brown a cunt? That depends on the opinion of individuals, I personally think he is.

Does he deserve such harsh charges when you think that some pedos and wife beaters, or other violent criminals face much less? I don't t hink so.

See? That is how you go past your bias and look at things objectively.

LBKkj9v.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  35. I posted above,about the severity of the sentence.
    But you are right, barrett is a sore point for me.
  36. A.O.T.F Member

^^^ Smack, will fuck you up, and spit you out. He's not "That Guy" today.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. A.O.T.F Member

38. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Barrett Brown Strafor
    lol