Customize

attn: musicAnon

Discussion in 'Production Studio' started by eddieVroom, May 17, 2011.

1. eddieVroom Member

If you've ever played around with a biofeedback device, you may have noticed that the "tone" runs down to a tick-tick-tick sound as you relax. What this should tell you is that what is perceived as Tone and what is perceived as Beat are separated by only a few octaves. These timings will harmonize your BPM with your key chord. You don't have to use the root of the chord, but you may want to stay with the thirds, fifths etc.

harmonictimings.jpg

Say you're playing something in the key of G Major, and you want a fast dance tempo, about 140 BPM (beats per minute). Since D is the Fifth of G Major, go with 137.658 BPM, and your Beat is now tuned to an octave of D, and harmonizes as a Fifth of the key chord, G Major.

The timings, in milliseconds, reading down the D column now form half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, and so on. These are what you will want to dial in to your effects so that, for example, delays "repeat" with the beat, reverbs are "tuned" and harmonize, and things like phasers and chorus effects cycle on the measure.

Alternatively, if you're playing in the key of A and want a common Rock tempo, since C is the Third of that chord and is close to 120 BPM, you might try the timings in that column.
  2. Durga Member

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what this is about or could be used for. Would you mind expanding on the idea a little?
  3. eddieVroom Member

You harmonize everything else (if you dare call it music), so why not your time?
  4. Anon_1HG Member

This is relevant to my interests
  5. moarxenu Member

I don't even.
  6. Zak McKracken Member

ITT: E-meter in reverse
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eddieVroom Member

I mention the biofeedback monitor only as an example of a sound-emitting device you may or may not have heard run down an eight or more octave drop. The application here is Music, not Mysticism. Sorry if I've confused anyone.
  8. Zak McKracken Member

In your application, the Music is the subject being audited,
    and the meter is YOU.
  9. adhocrat Member

I'm more confused about how to interpret the chart. It looks interesting, I could do something on my music software, if I understood the terms. Any chance of some explanation?
  10. eddieVroom Member

Say you're playing something in the key of G Major, and you want a fast dance tempo, about 140 BPM (beats per minute). Since D is the Fifth of G Major, go with 137.658 BPM, and your Beat is now tuned to an octave of D, and harmonizes as a Fifth of the key chord, G Major.

The timings, in milliseconds, reading down the D column now form half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, and so on. These are what you will want to dial in to your effects so that, for example, delays "repeat" with the beat, reverbs are "tuned" and harmonize, and things like phasers and chorus effects cycle on the measure.

Alternatively, if you're playing in the key of A and want a common Rock tempo, since C is the Third of that chord and is close to 120 BPM, you might try the timings in that column.
  11. adhocrat Member

12. eddieVroom Member

No prob. I'm now thinking I should add that to the op...