Customize

Attention Devil's Advocates!

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Consensus, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

Attention Devil's Advocates!

Scientologists have started to try to argue! This is good and bad news.
    First, it means they realize they can't overwhelm us when it comes to commenting on online articles. They realize we're a forbidible opponent. This is good.
    The bad news is, our early responses to online articles were fairly devoid of content themselves. I'm very glad to see that articles coming out this week have brilliant people responding to lengthy rebuttals by scientologists.

This is what I envisioned when I came up with 'devil's advocate' threads. i want an elite crew of people trained in debate and with relevent information at hand ready to debunk the lies and refute the arguments provided by these elite CoS posters.

Consider the discussions at http://rinf.com/alt-news/sicence-technology/anonymous-why-we-fight-scientology/2560/ or http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/02/kids-against--1.html. This is going beyond what we saw in late Jan or early Feb. Now, the Anons I'm seeing in those threads are doing a fantastic job. Those of us that participate in Devil's Advocate threads, however, ought to consider collecting the lengthier, more persuasive CoS posts and research the ideal refutation for each claim. They likely have a checklist of points to make, we can reverse-engineer that checklist from their posts, and create a resource of refutations that our guys can use in response.

So what can you do? Post any lengthy CoS comments you find on online news articles here. Research the points made in any of those, formulate a refutation, brainstorm on the most effective and persuasive way to express that refutation, and post it here.

Ideally, this thread should be a resource for anybody that's combating the OSA posters on those sites.
  2. Me Member

Re: Attention Devil's Advocates!

Good idea is good.

Although it's been posted before, the video of Andreas Heldal-Lund (xenu.net) debating with Joel Phillips (religousfreedomwatch.org) is brilliant. Everything about it's right: he's humble, he's amusing, he's generous and his arguments in the main are bang on.

In a nutshell, Joel Phillips must have hobbled for a good month after. :wink:

Andreas and Joel star in A Whole Lotta Lovin'[/url:215ro8b9]
    Just ignore the majorly dodge camera shaking for the 1st minute or so.
  3. googoomuck Member

Great idea, and here is a scilon post to get us started, from the comments section at http://people.monstersandcritics.com/ne ... cientology

Edited to add my response, constructive criticism/edits plz:
  4. southernstate Member

I think it would also be worth pointing out his statement that if you take psychotropic drugs, the CoS can no longer help you and must turn you away. Beings as they think drugs are the root of all evil in mankind, what kind of supposedly charitable organization would do this to the people who needed the most help?
  5. Anonamour Member

May I suggest:

1. CoS's position on any/all pharma including seizure medication for epileptics resulting in the death of __________ -sorry, don't rememer the man's name.

2. Introspection Rundown procedures for Scilons who snap?

3. The iodine/purple sweat scam from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5529

:lrhcries:<Bwaaaaahhhhh
  6. Scythe Member

They also creates fake account on youtube claiming to be anonymous only to make us looks like fools by posting embarrassing stupidities. Just look at the original Message to Scientology video or the call to action one for example.
  7. WMAnon Member

On the topic of "fancy cars," maybe you should direct your friend's attention to the ridiculously lavish "celebrity centers" in NYC and LA (anywhere else?), the massive and well-funded team of lawyers retained by the church, and our dear Mr. Miscavige. Good job calling him on the tangent.
  8. Marc Abian Member

9. southernstate Member

Why are people posting and re-posting the link to that Scientology Myths site? Are they trying to get the site hit numbers up?
  10. AnonRobot Member

Perhaps not Fancy cars, but how about the cruise ship, gold base, and buying church buildings at $4 Million cash. That might not be what they mean by that comment, but if the idea is "Why are the higher-ups not rich" just take a look at David Miscavige.
  11. googoomuck Member

Be my guest to let them know :)
    And yeah, to say that there are no Scientologists making $ is pretty ridiculous. Maybe he meant to say "No Scientologists I know drive fancy cars because we make $50 a week and can barely afford to eat, much less pay for insurance and gas." :cry:
  12. Re: Attention Devil's Advocates!

I've noticed this too and I've been trying to write up a concise copypasta to quickly interject when needed. I've had some luck so far in isolating one trait that's usually a dead giveaway (it could use a lot of work):

• X is a Scientology plant. It's not hard to tell. Apparently LRH did not provide his cult with any tech for the art of nuance.

You'll notice all fake Anonymous accounts are created post-February 10, 2008. This is the date of the 1st global Scientology protest, at which time they registered a lot of accounts to try to manipulate the youtubes. They do this by posing as Anon members and posting video and written threats. Very Churchly.

It's way too long, pretty awkward and may not be the way to go. Let me know what you think and maybe we can up with something.
  13. Ann O'Nymous Member

In my opinion, this site is quite dangerous.

At first, the gentle style can fool people into thinking that it is a reasonable and documented critic of scientology.