Customize

Are sleepovers really necessary for OWS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Just asking. I'm not sure when it's freezing outside and no one is outside anyway that there is a need to "occupy" a park or whatever by staying 24/7. What would the drawbacks be of just having groups there at different hours protesting? Like, 7am to 10pm? Is the message weakened by not sleeping in the park?
  2. James Spader Member

If you don't mind, I'd like to move this thread to the OWS Discussion subforum.
  3. Anonymous Member

Yes.
  4. 00anon00 Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

Police raids are always pre-dawn. If no one is in the park, there is no one to arrest.

I think OWS will need to adapt their tactics for the winter. We don't need people dying of the cold.
  6. SOJOA Member

Yes and so is sex with many anonymous partners while there.
  7. Anonymous Member

What we really need to concern ourselves with is not inequality, but who's zooming whoooooom.
  8. SOJOA Member

BBBAAAZZZIIINNNGGGG!
  9. Durga Member

I think they are for a couple of reasons. It's easier to hold a space than to re-take it every day (police would have time to set up barricades or use other methods to block protesters re-entry if they were so inclined); 24/7 presence makes it possible for more people to participate in whatever time they have available; in cities where tents and other infrastructure are allowed to exist, it would be very difficult to set up and break down every day; and most importantly it's my belief that the act of not leaving until something changes is in and of itself a form of political speech.

One thing that I think all OWS protesters have in common is the belief that the current system is not honoring its responsibility to address the grievances of the people. By refusing to go home unless and until their concerns are addressed in a meaningful fashion, they are making the statement that they do not trust the government to listen to a damn thing they're told.

It's also important to remember that some of the participants don't have homes to go to. Not all, not even most, but they do exist and a number of the more fortunate protesters would be concerned about the well being of their homeless compatriots if everyone got sent home at 10pm.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 00anon00 Member

They would stay on the space but stay awake. Think shifts day/night/swing. Just like at work (except there is no work).
  11. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Glenn Beck Member

LOL, we only occupy when its convenient.

Because "OCCUPATIONS NEVER WORK" is so 2004.
  13. xenubarb Member

[IMG]

Head for the trees! (Is it cops or tigers that can't climb trees?)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. xenubarb Member

Shit, now I want to buy one of these!
  15. cafanon Member

I think this is an excellent answer.
  16. Anonymous Member

Me too. However I do think there is a little raw defiance in the term "occupation", it does have a slight militaristic tone that openly defies the powers that be.

Which is good, but as long as everyone understands the rules.
    Rule number one: The government can legally kill you. They don't give a shit about you.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

You Tiny thing, you could curl right up in one of those. I would need a rack to straighten me out f I tried it.