Customize

April 12th Global Speech

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by exanon, Mar 15, 2008.

1. exanon Member

April 12th Global Speech

I think we should do another one, in light of Operation Reconnect that focuses on the disconnection policy.

We should start this early, to give us maximal opportunity to write a perfected speech and allow for distribution around the decentralised regional networks of Anon. I think that last point was very short notice in this instance.
  2. Flinders Member

Re: April 12th Global Speech

agreed. The speech on the 15th was great... now we want perfect!!
  3. anoothernon Member

So where can we see the speech? What feedback is the public giving? Did it get any media?
  4. A_nonchalant Member

Enturbulation being down has delayed the production of the video, I'd assume. Although, er, that was sort of the flaw in our plan - we didn't really start arranging for videographers. However, you can view some speeches here.
  5. anony428 Member

Imagine your life without your son, daughter, father, mother or friends. Imagine if you could not speak to those whom you cared most about. Imagine if everyone that you have relied on your whole life for emotional support were no longer allowed to speak to you.
    You are not alone when that chill runs down your spine. You are not alone when your stomach turns at the thought of your loved ones gone. You are not alone because in this building (point to org.) there are people who do not have to imagine. In this building there are people who know!
    They know because the Church of Scientology enforces on them a policy of Disconnection. A policy wherein they are not allowed to speak to anyone who is critical of their Church. Not anyone who is critical of their beliefs; anyone who is critical of the the organization that sells them enlightenment for $400,000. A policy that tears good and wholesome families apart. A policy that the current president of Scientology has enforced on his own brother's family. (possibly read selections from Jenna's statement here.)
    These poor citizens do not speak to their friends, family and loved ones not because of disagreements, but because their leaders tell them not to.
    (possibly insert LRH's original disconnection policy here)
    All of us here, and around the world, have family and friends who we love and cherish. However for far to many of those caught in the vile clutches of this so called "Church", the hope for a joyful reunion is lost. Perhaps one day they can sit and exchange pictures and gossip for an hour or so while a staff member watches on. Perhaps one day they will be allowed to spend a weekend at their parents house. If they are very lucky then perhaps one day they can receive unlimited phone calls, but those who have been disconnected can never truly be with those who matter most to them while they are still inside.
    To those who are still inside we bring you this message:
    Your family still loves you.
    No one will say "I told you so."
    No one will say "how could you."
    Your family will just want you back.
    To those poor souls to whom fate has dealt a most sorrowful card let it be known:
    We may be strangers, but we love you with all our hearts.
    We stand here with open arms ready to bring you back into your life.
    We can help you.
    It will not be easy, but freedom is the greatest joy of all.
  6. Dux0r Member

I just watched a bunch of the Global Speech videos and thought they were awesome. A good idea for a video would be to have a few lines from each and every video compiled into the one speech. Not sure how well this would work? Perhaps someone with more video editing skill than I could attempt it.

From watching the Global Speech videos a few things stand out.

1. It's too f**king long. To be effective it needs to be short and up front.
    2. It lacks structure. It needs to address a few points, quickly and to the point. Namely:
    a) Who we are (very brief)
    b) Why we're against the CoS
    c) Explanation of the theme of the month

Other minor points:
    Most of the videos focus on one person, and don't show the scope of the protest.

A lot of the speeches sound forced or awkward. I think everyone who intends to read the speech out should change the words around til they are happy it sounds more like something they would say. I think most of this had to do with the choice of words and structure of the sentences in the speech.

Some of the videos have other things going on (i.e. a tram going past, honks sounded), this makes it look very good and happening and makes it seem credible.

Again, I think these videos were absolutely awesome and I hope with a little work we can create some epic media material. Congrats and thanks to everyone who read out the speech, it really is awesome.

P.S. I also really like the idea mentioned in the post above:

That would be a nice simple gesture which everyone could do and would show the global scale very nicely in a fade echo of videos. Other acts or gestures or icons to be used globally would really help. I.e. having a national flag, having two people stand behind the speaker with V masks, whatever.
  7. endCOSsoon Member

Two people in masks standing behind a speaker with national flags on view sounds a bit too much like an IRA or a PLO announcement.
  8. AnonymousSup Member

The speech doesn't need to be from the person on camera at the time, record it and on the day (for a few seconds or a minute) and play it over the video and show other stuff going on, not just the same person reading it. It's f$%7ken boring watching someone read a long speech when so much other sh... stuff is going on.
  9. A Nonnamus Member

Proofs and edits:

10. CoastalAnon Member

changes in italics

Imagine your life without your son, daughter, father, mother or friends. Imagine if you could not speak to those whom you cared most about. Imagine if everyone whom you have relied on your whole life for emotional support were no longer allowed to speak to you.

You are not alone when that chill runs down your spine. You are not alone when your stomach turns at the thought of your loved ones gone. You are not alone because in this building (point to org.) there are people who do not have to imagine. In this building there are people who know!

They know because the Church of Scientology enforces on them a policy of Disconnection. A policy wherein they are not allowed to speak to anyone who is critical of their Church. Not anyone who is critical of their beliefs; anyone who is critical of the the organization that sells them enlightenment for $400,000. A policy that tears good and wholesome families apart. A policy that the current leader of Scientology has enforced on his own brother's family. (possibly read selections from Jenna's statement here.)

These poor citizens do not speak to their friends, family and loved ones not because of disagreements, but because their leaders tell them they will not be allowed to continue in Scientology if they remain in contact with critics. This forces them to choose between their closest friends and family and what they are told is the future of their personal well-being.

All of us here, and around the world, have family and friends whom we love and cherish. However, for far too many of those caught in the vile clutches of this so-called "Church," the hope for a joyful reunion is lost. Perhaps for one day they can sit and exchange pictures and gossip for an hour or so while a staff member watches on. Perhaps for one day they will be allowed to spend a weekend at their parents' house. If they are very lucky, then perhaps one day they can receive unlimited phone calls, but those who have been disconnected can never truly be with those who matter most to them while they are still inside.

To those who are still inside, we bring you this message:

Your family still loves you.
    No one will say "I told you so."
    No one will say "How could you."
    Your family will just want you back.
    To those poor souls to whom fate has dealt a most sorrowful card, let it be known:
    We stand here with open arms, ready to bring you back into your life.
    We can help you.
    It will not be easy, but freedom is the greatest joy of all.
  11. anony428 Member

Does anyone else have a comment or proof?
    Should we kick it to the translators?
  12. A Nonnamus Member

My changes in bold. I also adjusted some spacing for ease of reading; I would recommend that speeches be printed double-spaced (if they aren't already :) because they're much easier to read that way.

Great work, anony428!! :cool: :mrgreen:
  13. tiggernew Member

My take (streamlined in places, according to Elements of Style)

Imagine life without your son or daughter, father or mother, or any of your lifelong friends.
    Imagine you cannot spend time with those you care most about.
    Imagine everyone who has supported you in life is no longer allowed to speak to you, or you to them.

When the thought sends a chill of fear down your spine you are not alone.
    When that isolation brings a tear to your eyes, you are not alone.
    When your stomach turns as you wonder where you might turn, you are not alone.
    Because in this building (point to org.) are people who do not have to imagine. In this building there are people who know that isolation and fear all too well!

They know because the Church of Scientology traps them with a policy called Disconnection.
    A policy which forever separates families and friends.
    A policy under which they are permitted to speak to NO ONE critical of Scientology.
    NO ONE critical of its beliefs,
    and NO ONE critical of the organization that sells enlightenment for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and years of their lives.
    A policy the leader of Scientology enforced on his own brother's family, and which drove his own niece to speak out. (Possibly read selections from Jenna's statement here.)

These victims of Scientology cut all ties with their friends, family and loved ones not because they've disagreed, but because leaders within the cult tell them they cannot progress within Scientology if they communicate with critics. Those caught within Scientology are frightened and coerced into a cruel choice between their loved ones and what their Scientology supervisors present as the only hope for total freedom and immortality.

All of us, here and around the world, have family and friends we love and cherish. But for so many of those in the clutches of this so-called "Church," the dream of a joyful reunion is just that -- a distant dream. Perhaps one day they will be permitted to visit and catch up with loved ones as a chaperone watches closely. Perhaps one day they will be allowed to spend a weekend at their parents' homes. If they are very lucky, then perhaps one day they can receive direct and private telephone calls. But those who have been disconnected can never truly be reconnected as long as they are clenched within the iron grip of Scientology and its policy.

For those inside, we carry this message:

Your family and friends love you.

We will not say, "I told you so."

We will not say, "How could you?"

We will just be glad to have you home.

To those Scientology has entrapped and deceived, we say:

We stand with open arms, ready to bring you back into your life.

We know it is frightening to think of leaving, but we can help you.

Ultimately the other side of every fear is a freedom.

We deliver what Scientology cannot -- unconditional love and support.