Customize

Applied Scholastics - Infodump & summary thread - background and current events 2011

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by OTBT, Mar 7, 2011.

1. AnonLover Member

unfortunately - not really... the federal NCLB statutes are written in such a way the decisions are made by & wholly owned by each individual state & its results-based performance that keeps them in once approved. So the offending states a) dont have to consider anything but their own info, and b) dont really have a leg to stand on to bounce an SES provider for results in another state.
  2. RightOn Member

:(
    can't hurt? Maybe someone would listen?
  3. AnonLover Member

I've tried, and mentioned in my 2010-11 harpoons the latest intel we have: states have reportedly dropped applied scholastics due to under utilization and the response as consistently been of the "Meh - only thing that matters is performance in our states" vein.

and their right - that fed laws does justify that attitude.
  4. RightOn Member

sad
  5. Anonymous Member

The issues around the former mis-use of the NCLB Supplemental Educational Services (SES) program are complex. Suffice it to say, AS was able to get in under the Bush/Rod Paige/Scientologist John Danielson (who was Chief of Staff to Sec'y of Education Rod Paige from 2001-2005) NCLB guidelines. Initially states had virtually no say in stopping any faith-based or non-faith-based group from signing up to get federal monies for these after-school "tutoring" programs that were held off school grounds with virtually no supervision by the districts. Many of these untested programs were put on the states' lists and school districts had to sign on for some of them, for the schools that had high numbers of failing students.

As the years went on and dis-satisfaction with the SES program grew, a model was formed and implemented that these programs had to be "utilized" by the parents (never quite clear about the numbers on that measure) and they had to show either annual or bi-annual progress on academic measures, plus be relatively free of parental complaints. Many groups dropped out as these guidelines came in.

Under Obama/Duncan states were given NCLB "waivers" to having to use these private off-campus groups and the tutoring programs became on-campus after-school programs, staffed by trained people and supervised by the schools and districts. So we have a list of SES available off-campus programs (of which AS is on in several states) but the utilization is down and many of these SES listed programs cannot get contracts with the districts.

If you want to know how successful the questioning of AS in the SES programs has been, just look at the number of AS programs who get contracts in various states. That is the important measure, not whether or not AS is listed in the almost defunct SES state programs list.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RightOn Member

Rod Paige is one of the people that Cruise met for lunch in DC quite a while back, when he lobbied for AS to be put in every school
  7. AnonLover Member

where/how do we look for contract holders?
  8. Anonymous Member

Two responses:

1. RE: TOM CRUISE

In each of the four "Tom Cruise meltdown" YouTube videos that were posted by Anonymous back in Jan./Feb. 2008 there was a snippet of information about Cruise in the "corridors of power" at the federal Dept. of Ed building, or Danielson talking about using his role to further SCN, or a SCN narrator saying that AS was/is used in NASA. (Nope.) For those of us dealing with the SES issues, especially in regards to AS, those snippets were appreciated and it got out into the mainstream how dedicated SCN was to being part of the public educational system here in the U.S. (This is still continuing, BTW, with the latest from SCN'er Nancy Cartwright trying and failing to get the re-packaged "The Way to Happiness" [morphed into "The Good Choices Program"] into the Illinois educational system. See above posting.)

2. RE: STATE SES CONTRACT HOLDERS
    State contract holders and how much the state/districts pay them: I am sure that every state is publishing this information differently. Please contact the individual state departments of education and find out.... then please post the 12 states' information here.
  9. Anonymous Member

Sorry about any confusion. You are not stupid. This can be confusing.

I think that every state has two legislative bodies. In California it is the Assembly and the Senate. Each of these entities has a committee devoted to public education. Laws are passed about public education by negotiations within and between these committees, in alignment with federal regulations. (Feds trump state trump local.) The separate committees also serve as fact-finders, complaint receivers, investigators and in other roles.

Therefore, if you want to know if "The Good Choices Program" has come up on the radar in your state (as it did in Illinois) check with BOTH of the education committees.
  10. Anonymous Member

On Aug. 9, 2011, the current Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, effectively put a stop to some of the worst of the NCLB abuses: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/08/09/exp.nr.duncan.edu.waivers.cnn?hpt=hp_t2

By permitting states to apply for waivers from the most expensive and unneeded federal reform provisions of NCLB (created in part by Scientologist John Danielson when he was the Chief of Staff to Secretary of Education Rod Paige [2001-2005], chosen by Pres. George W. Bush), Arne Duncan handed the states back the autonomy that is needed for them to regulate and mandate their own educational improvement services, thereby de-centralizing much of the onerous and, at times, ridiculous mandates of the federal NCLB testing and improvement program.

How does this affect the state SES programs and Applied Scholastics? We will see.

The SES program has been considerably modified, especially in the last 3 years, from the entity that was created in the early Bush/Paige/Danielson years, where there was little over-sight or accountability but very large paychecks ($30 to $80 per hour per student) to "after-school tutors," whether qualified for that role or not. My best guess is that the SES program will be even more modified, by each state, in order to assist the neediest students (special needs and English as a Second Language) and probably undergo a name change at the states' levels.

Please check with your individual state as the school year rapidly approaches. And post here what you discover.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnonLover Member

Thank you!!!! I was waiting for this big freaking clown shoe to drop... were so close to the new school year SES approval season, i wrote it off last week figuring it would take another year for NCLB reform to go anywhere aside from "dead in it tracks & grinding a gear" phase.

Current list of existing approved SES states:
    http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/List_of_States_Using_Applied_Scholastics

can we get a show of hands by state from anons who got their own ground covered on current list? (so we can cut down the number of states with no local cells that always need followed up from afar)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Dear All:

Although there is the accurate above current list of existing SES approved Applied Scholastics (AS) states, please remember that things in the educational world are changing rapidly. And that although Applied Scholastics may appear on a state's list, many of the lists have 2-year cycles and so the name is being carried over, even if the AS program is no longer offered. And that the measure of Applied Scholastics use is not by being on a soon-to-be-obsolete SES list but by the number of contracts they have with individual school districts within a state.

And that will take some research. Please be polite when you talk to the state and district agencies.... I know you will be <gr> but this is just a gentle reminder. The people on the phone are NOT the decision makers.... and things are changing. But it would be good for there to be contact made about the whole issue of the SES program as a whole in individual states, with a focus on Applied Scholastics, of one wishes. Please do not be exasperated if the people on the phone ask you to check back come mid-to-late September or early October.... it will take that long for these many changes to be implemented in the various states and districts.

Texas has already stated that they will not apply for these NCLB waivers (duh!) but almost all other states will do so. I will be checking on Louisiana and the District of Columbia myself soon when the federal Department of Education has begun publishing the names of the states that are applying for the NCLB waivers.

Many states had already applied for and won waivers about some of the components of the SES program, even before the Obama/Duncan administration took over in Jan. 2009, as the wealth of data from independent organizations evaluating of the SES program as a whole almost from the beginning found it too expensive and wanting in terms of benefiting the very students who were, of course, supposed to be the recipients of this extra help. Many SES programs did help, of course, and could demonstrate that with both qualitative and quantitative evaluations, after the first year of implementation. But also many SES programs were found to not be useful and were quietly dropped, did not receive another contract in any state's districts or were kept off the list. Every state handled this differently.

Where you have big money, you have politicking and intense politicking did occur around both the SES issue and the AS approved by SES issue.

Happy research, All!
    • Like Like x 3
  13. AnonLover Member

Thanks for fabulous guidance. Do let us know when/where fed DofE publishes list of states filing for waivers when u sees it. TIA!
  14. Anonymous Member

I've often wondered why the cocks & balls of various high schools are drooled all over...
  15. hushpuppy Member

Much excellent research here!

I always was of the opinion that Applied Scholastic deserved its own Situation Room - Narconon has one, and kids are even more vulnerable than the down ridden IMHO.

(I know it's a lot of admin work to make one, so just sayin')
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

Something you may not have noticed.... but.... Please go and view the video of Arne Duncan, Sec'y of Education, on Aug. 9th, 2011 discussing one of the reasons why he thinks it is necessary to make this change away from the worst of NCLB.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/08/09/exp.nr.duncan.edu.waivers.cnn?hpt=hp_t2

At the tape point (1:42), he talks about having to come to the federal department of education, as the Superintendent of Chicago Public Schools, and plead, futilely, for permission to tutor 82,000 pupils in after-school programs the way he wanted to during the reign of NCLB. And he was refused permission to deviate from the rigid, strict, NCLB system that had one and only program for all after-school tutoring. And that was the SES program.....

And, yes, Applied Scholastics is still on the SES list in Illinois, although I do not know if there have been any contracts lately.

Now I wonder who he was able to speak to that day... in those days under the worst of NCLB, under Bush/Paige/Danielson. And I am pleased that he mentioned the refusal by the federal department of education at that time in this video, which I hope will be forwarded by you all to any and all interested parties.
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Anonymous Member

Applied Scholastics link, proxy up

Code:
    http://appliedscholasticsonline.com/products/products_new.php
    62 BRAND NEW Applied Scholastics books, from their online bookstore.
    Sample of some titles added around May 2011.

Seeing; The World Around Us Teachers Guide

Multiplication Study Guide

Fractions Study Guide

Even, Odd, etc. Study Guide

Equations Study Guide

Division Study Guide

Decimals Study Guide

Beginning Geometry Study Guide

Addition Study Guide

Calendar Math Elementary Level

Math Is Music To My Ears Math 54 First Edition Study Guide

Introduction to Algebra

What is Math? Math is a Game!

Advanced Fractions

I'd Rather Have a Fraction

Stories Forever Loved Study Guide

SPELLING BOOK 6th grade

High School Dreams Come True with Word Study

And so on. See the Applied Scholastics link posted above for details, book covers and pricing of all 62 new books.
  19. AnonLover Member

dammit, i dont liek the looks of ^^That...not one bit!

those titles at-a-glance match your avg sylvan learning center or similar after-school (legit) commercial tutoring for rich kids book/program selections.

in the past - that was applied scholastics big weakness, the old rehashed study-tech books were ridiculous looking on the surface & it was easy for a parent to spot the lameness just by comparing the materials :(

so as soon as i get a chance to go proxy diving, i'll gather that shit up for further investigating & mirror it on scribd *sigh*
  20. Anonymous Member

In true Elron manner, the book covers proudly declare &quot;Applied Scholastics&quot;.

But no prominent mention of &quot;based on the works of L. Ron Hubbard&quot;, which is what all the previous Applied Scholastics books used to say.

Elron's name is getting swept under the carpet.

appliedscholasticsnewbo.jpg
  21. Anonymous Member

Images of the book covers pasted into this thread would serve as a handy reference.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

Most of the book covers are basically the same, with just the titles at the bottom changed.

asnew.jpg
  23. AnonLover Member

^^Thanks... keep it coming!

i'm tied up in loose-end followup stuff on other fronts today, so keep dumping interesting stuff & info gotten thru proxy swooping ITT, and I'll compile it all into pretty mirror dox tmo.
  24. Anonymous Member

Screencaps from the web site. Covers, pricing and release dates of the 62 new Applied Scholastics books.

asnewpage1.jpg

asnewpage2.jpg

asnewpage3.jpg

[IMG]

asnewpage5.jpg

asnewpage6.jpg

asnewpage7.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  25. AnonLover Member

^^thank you anon - i will <3 you long time for the proxy halps
  26. Anonymous Member

I've always wondered if the unrelated school book publisher &quot;Scholastics&quot; has considered or tried to prevent Scientology from publishing books using the word Scholastics.
  27. Anonymous Member

Applied Scholastics 2011 Online Graduation YouTube vid.

28. Anonymous Member

Some of the information was found on: http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/List_o...roved_Cult_Infiltration_In_Our_Public_Schools
    Please feel free to update the information on the above posting with the new information listed below.
    Since this is a large amount of information, it will be posted in several postings.

1. District of Columbia

No 2011-12 list yet

Listed on: 2010-11 Approved SES Provider List

http://osse.dc.gov/seo/frames.asp?d...2011_approved_ses_providers_list_10_14_10.pdf

Over 75 Public Schools at risk
    See page 5 of the ASI Vendor Profile document above for full list.

2. Illinois

2011-12 Approved SES Provider List

Applied
    Scholasti

Applied
    Scholastics International

Mary
    Cockburn

(314) 355-6355
    (314) 355-2621

m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org

www.appliedscholastics.org

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/ses/html/service_providers.htm

Over 244 School Districts at risk
    See isbe.net school improvement data for 2010 for the full list.

3. Indiana

No 2011-12 list yet

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/dg/ses/SES10-Provider-list.cfm

Applied Scholastics put on probation school year 2010-2011

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/applied-scholastics-put-on-probation-this-school-year-2010-2011.64949/

128 School Districts were previously at risk (prior to suspension)
    See 2010-2011 SES PPEs (per district) for fulltext list.
    See 2010 SES Providers by County for interactive map.

*************************************************************************************

• Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/List_o...roved_Cult_Infiltration_In_Our_Public_Schools

4. Iowa
    2011-12 Approved SES provider list
    Applied Scholastics International Subject Areas Covered: Reading, mathematics
    Grade Levels to be Served: K-8
    Number of Students to be Served: 300
    Service Area: Iowa City and Cedar Rapids School Districts
    Time of Service: After school, weekends, summer, holidays, school breaks
    Student/Instructor Ratio: 3/1 Cost: $45/hour/student
    Approved: 07/10
    Program Description: At the beginning, students are tested to pinpoint their academic weaknesses. They can work individually or in small groups, where learning gaps that prevent them from succeeding in school are repaired through ctivities that engage the senses.
    Contact Information :Mary Cockburn 11755 Riverview Drive St. Louis, MO (505) 212-0208 Fax – (505) 212-0208 m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org www.appliedscholastics.org
    NEW TARGET! Added to the list April 2011, approved July 2010

http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1635&Itemid=2441
    Only 2 School Districts at risk
    Includes public schools in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids districts as per SES Simplified Chart for 2010-11
    Iowa City Community School District, has eighteen elementary schools, three junior high schools, and two senior high schools.
    Cedar Rapids Community Schools, has 24 elementary schools, 6 middle schools, and 4 high schools.
    ************************************************************************************
    5. Louisiana

No 2011-12 list yet

10 Schools Districts and 5 Charter Schools at risk
    2010-11 Approved Provider list includes Avoyelles, City of Baker, East Baton Rourge, Lafayette, Orleans, Jefferson, St. Landry, Rapides, RSD-LDE, and Tangipahoa school districts.
    In addition to Esperanza Charter, Algiers Charter Association, Andrew Wilson Charter elementary schools, plus
    Glen Oaks Charter and Prescott Charter middle schools.

*****************************************************************************************
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Anonymous Member

Posting #3

Some of the information was found on: http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/List_o...roved_Cult_Infiltration_In_Our_Public_Schools
    Please feel free to update the information on the above posting with the new information listed below.
    Since this is a large amount of information, it will be posted in several postings.

6. Massachusetts

http://www.doe.mass.edu/ses/details.aspx?ProviderID=130

6 School Districts at risk
    According to the ASI Vendor profile link above, these include Boston Public Schools, Brockton Public Schools, Dedham Public Schools, Milton Public Schools, Quincy Public Schools and Randolph Public Schools

************************************************************************************

7. Missouri
    Protip: St. Louis is the international headquarters for Applied Scholastics, and would be the ideal location for an investigative journalist to look into why ASI was dropped from the approved SES Providers list in other states
    http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/fedprog/grantmgmnt/Supplemental_Services/documents/qs-ses-all-approved-2011-2012.pdf

557 School Districts At Risk
    According to the 2010-11 Provider service summary, unlimited statewide approval granted.

8. New Mexico

No 2011-12 list yet
    2010-11 Approved SES Provider List

http://www.ped.state.nm.us/titleI/dl10/ses/Provider List by District 09-10.pdf

Only listed in the Albuquerque Public School but
    Over 600 Public Schools at risk
    According to the 2010 District Summary Report, with eligible schools for Title I (AYP Status Not Met) noted with a Y in the last column.
    Nearly all school districts in NM potentially affected in one or more locations.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Anonymous Member

Posting #4

9. Tennessee
    http://www.tn.gov/education/fedprog/doc/SES_ProvidersCh._7.22.pdf

Applied Scholastics International

Mary Cockburn 11755 Riverview Dr. St. Louis, MO 63138 314 355-6355 FAX: 314-355-2621 m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org www.appliedscholastics.org

Sessions per week: 2 to 4 Hours
    per session: 1.5 hours
    Cost per hour: $40.00 (May be negotiated by school system.)
    *Please note: A per pupil spending limit for each student is set by the federal government. Please consult with your school to determine the actual number of sessions your child will receive.

Subjects: Reading/Language Arts
    Tutor to student ratio: 1 to 3; 1 to 5
    Tutor Qualifications: Minimum of 60 college credits, must be certified teachers with BA and training in our methodology.
    Grade levels: K-8 Services available for special populations: Migrant and underachieving students
    Snacks/refreshment provided: Yes
    Memphis City
    Location of Services:
    Student’s home,
    student’s school,
    Bickford Community Center,
    Whitehaven Recreational Center, 661 East Shelby Drive, Memphis, TN 38109

Applied Scholastics, Tennessee is located at 4384 Stage Road, Suite 108, Memphis

Evaluation Results Student Achievement

Reading/Language Arts Insufficient data
    Math Insufficient data

Customer Satisfaction

Communication Instructional Plan Local & State Standards
    Insufficient data

Special Ed. and ELL Students Assessment of Provider Overall
    The provider says this about its services: “Tutoring session is a small group of 3-5 students per tutor. Student works on individual step-by-step program for their academic need. Student will learn study skills to help them become independent studiers. Program allows student to increase vocabulary and at the same time use clay, drawings and sketches to help make subject more understandable. Tutor works with students throughout program checking for comprehension and student’s ability to apply information. Each day there are drills/exercises for student to do to help gain confidence in skill

Over 1180 Public Schools at risk
    See Title I School List 2010-2011 for complete list of all schools by district.
    In addition, there is also a list of 100+ schools on the Title I High Priority Schools List dated March 2011, that indicates where the highest amounts of funding are available

***********************************************************************************
    10. Texas

http://www.sirctexas.net/ses/approved_provider_applications_11_12.html

218 Public Schools at risk
    See Final List of Schools in Improvement 2010-11 for the full list of schools by district.

*************************************************************************************
    11. Washington

2011-2012 Approved SES Provider List

http://www.k12.wa.us/TitleI/TitleI/SESProvidersList.aspx

5 School Districts at risk
    According to the Approved Provider List link above, these include
    Seattle, Edmonds, Evergreen, Spokane, Vancouver
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

Note info in red.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

What is very interesting about Iowa is that when you look at the AS program description is that there is NO LOCAL ADDRESS given. Do the students trot over to St. Louis, MO? I do not think so. It is time for someone to research this. Where are these after-school classes being held? Who is administering them? How are the "tutors" being paid that $45/per hour/per student from tax-payer monies:

2011-12 Approved SES provider list
    Applied Scholastics International Subject Areas Covered: Reading, mathematics
    Grade Levels to be Served: K-8
    Number of Students to be Served: 300
    Service Area: Iowa City and Cedar Rapids School Districts
    Time of Service: After school, weekends, summer, holidays, school breaks
    Student/Instructor Ratio: 3/1 Cost: $45/hour/student
    Approved: 07/10

Program Description: At the beginning, students are tested to pinpoint their academic weaknesses. They can work individually or in small groups, where learning gaps that prevent them from succeeding in school are repaired through activities that engage the senses.

Contact Information : Mary Cockburn 11755 Riverview Drive St. Louis, MO (505) 212-0208 Fax – (505) 212-0208 m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org www.appliedscholastics.org

NEW TARGET! Added to the list April 2011, approved July 2010

http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1635&Itemid=2441

Only 2 School Districts at risk
    Includes public schools in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids districts as per SES Simplified Chart for 2010-11
    Iowa City Community School District, has eighteen elementary schools, three junior high schools, and two senior high schools.
    Cedar Rapids Community Schools, has 24 elementary schools, 6 middle schools, and 4 high schools.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

And is anybody researching these SES state lists to see if "A Plus Tutoring" (common name, I know) the one that is another Scientology front group is being represented in any of the SES lists for 2011-2012. It is not being represented in Iowa.

Have fun researching.

35. Anonymous Member

Does anyone know anything about "EDUCATION ALIVE," which is mentioned in the following article as a program licensed by ASI? Is it in America?

http://www.cisionwire.com/csi/r/mee...-doors-for-the-youth-of-south-africa,g9117774

Meet a Scientologist—Sonja Botha, Opening Doors for the Youth of South Africa

If there is one thing preventing South African youth from moving up, it is lack of quality education. Scientologist Sonja Botha is determined to give young people in her country the opportunity to accomplish their goals, and make it possible for South Africa to truly live up to its promise.

According to a report released last month by the University of Stellenbosch near Cape Town, South Africa, 80 percent of the nation’s children who are raised in low income households fall behind academically by the time they are 8 years old, and this trend continues throughout their schooling and closes the door to opportunity on the many.
    Sonja Botha, a second-generation Scientologist, took education for granted until it was time for her own two children, now 21 and 22, to enter the system. It was then she realized she needed to take greater responsibility for the education not only of her son and daughter, but also for children throughout her city.
    “I began studying various educational methodologies, but the one I kept coming back to as most effective was Study Technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard,” says Botha.
    That was why she sought out Education Alive, a program licensed by Applied Scholastics International to deliver L. Ron Hubbard Study Technology in the public and private sector. And when the group’s executive director retired, Botha stepped up to take over the position.
    “It has been an incredible challenge,” she says. “I wanted to do something to make a difference in our city. I saw exceptionally bright children headed for menial jobs and mediocre lives because of a system that was holding them back. I decided we were going to change that."
    Botha initiated a project called “Study Tech Intervention” to help underachieving high school students qualify for university or vocational college admission.
    “We tutored them for 40 hours in each subject,” says Botha. “The result was a 30 to 40 percent increase in test scores, with the end result that 95 percent of the students could continue their education.”
    Since then, Education Alive has carried out this program in 100 schools and achieved similar results. And the program not only improves grades, it also changes lives.
    When one young man who repeatedly failed his classes and had not been attending school for six months learned his girlfriend was pregnant, he decided to quit school altogether to go to work. The principal challenged him to attend Botha’s program. Not only did he pass matric (for ‘matriculation’—signifying the student has fulfilled university entrance requirements in South Africa), the new father also went on to university, earned a bachelor’s degree and is creating a better life for himself and his family.
    A young woman who dreamed of becoming an engineer abandoned her goal when her brother went to prison and her study time became consumed by his problems. Encouraged to attend Education Alive classes, she passed her exams and was accepted at a university where she is now pursuing her engineering degree.
    While continuing the intervention program for high school students, Botha devised a way to start young students off right in the first place. In her “Reading Adventure Rooms,” children in grades 1-3 double their literacy level in child-friendly, interactive environments. With corporate sponsorship, the program now operates in five schools, with five more in the pipeline.
    Botha’s latest project involves the opposite end of the student spectrum. When launched, 1,000 undergraduates from the University of Cape Town will attend workshops on Study Technology.
    To date, Botha’s group has trained 480 in Study Technology who have gone on to use it in more than 400 classrooms to the benefit of some 150,000 students.
    “We are creating a ripple effect with our programs,” says Botha. “My wish is that the children of South Africa can ride this wave to a better life for themselves and use their knowledge and skill to create a new civilization.”
    To learn more about Study Technology and Applied Scholastics International, visit the Scientology website at http://www.scientology.org/activity/applied-scholastics/study-technology.html.
    ###
    The popular “Meet a Scientologist” profiles on the Church of Scientology International Video Channel at Scientology.org now total more than 200 broadcast-quality documentary videos featuring Scientologists from diverse locations and walks of life. The personal stories are told by Scientologists who are educators, teenagers, skydivers, a golf instructor, a hip-hop dancer, IT manager, stunt pilot, mothers, fathers, dentists, photographers, actors, musicians, fashion designers, engineers, students, business owners and more.
    A digital pioneer and leader in the online religious community, in April 2008 the Church of Scientology became the first major religion to launch its own official YouTube Video Channel, which has now been viewed by millions of visitors.

Karin Pouw
    Phone: (323) 960 3500Email: media@scientology-news.org

Church of Scientology International
    6331 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 1200
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    Phone: 1 323 960 3500
  36. AnonLover Member

I havent had a chance yet to run thru the new info for 2011-12 ITT yet (but i will next weekend, and get both wiki page + info pack updated for changes)

And I've checked lots of the A+ places in the past, by looking up state-level corporation registration records for scilon names... and for all the states approved as of last year - they all came back clean.

^^Thats a new one i never heard before :/

Separate status questions for when i dig into documenting stuff for new school year -

Have all the previously approved states released their new SES provider lists w/ ASI still listed? (IOW - nobody dropped off our list this year??)

Have all the other states been checked yet for new approvals, or does that still need done?
  37. Anonymous Member

FOUR states who have had AS in the immediate past have NOT released their 2011-2012 SES lists yet...... District of Columbia (not a state, I know), Indiana, Louisiana (!), and New Mexico. California was on the 2009-10 list (which was a 2-year listing), but not on the 2010-2011 nor the 2011-12 listing. California, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Georgia, New Jersey and Ohio all have had AS listed on their SES providers' list at one time or another since 2007 but none of them are on the current list, although I am going to re-check them all (along with all the states not ever listing AS on their SES list) today and will post this information if there are new states offering AS on their 2011-2012 approved SES providers list. One of the most interesting states is Washington, which has been on-and-off with some regularity. Anyone from Washington know what is going on? It is currently listing AS for 2011-2012.

RE: DOE NCLB Waivers:

And remember that these SES lists may be moot for the states that have signed the NCLB waivers. And no I have not found the federal list of states that have signed the NCLB waivers but as soon as I do find it, I will post it.

This was posted here previously on Aug. 12th:

"Something you may not have noticed.... but.... Please go and view the video of Arne Duncan, Sec'y of Education, on Aug. 9th, 2011 discussing one of the reasons why he thinks it is necessary to make this change away from the worst of NCLB.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/08/09/exp.nr.duncan.edu.waivers.cnn?hpt=hp_t2

Already posted but needs repeating: At the tape point (1:42), he talks about having to come to the federal department of education, as the Superintendent of Chicago Public Schools, and plead, futilely, for permission to tutor 82,000 pupils in after-school programs the way he wanted to during the reign of NCLB. And he was refused permission to deviate from the rigid, strict, NCLB system that had one and only program for all after-school tutoring. And that was the SES program.....

And, yes, Applied Scholastics is still on the SES list in Illinois, although I do not know if there have been any contracts lately.

Now I wonder who he was able to speak to that day... in those days under the worst of NCLB, under Bush/Paige/Danielson. And I am pleased that he mentioned the refusal by the federal department of education at that time in this video, which I hope will be forwarded by you all to any and all interested parties."
    • Like Like x 1
  38. AnonLover Member

^^THANKYOU Anon! Great work...

DC tends to be off-schedule from everybody else. April/May is when i've caught new SES info for a given school year in the past.

My Louisiana poonage response indicated decision-making delay due to re-evaluation, so no surprise on that one lagging either.

New Mexico also no surprise - my notes from past digging on followup-checks is that their stuff was updated Nov/Dec timeframe last year.

Awesome, I'll try 'n get wiki page updated asap, and then start in on info pack updates next weekend.

it looks like i never personally hit Washington w/ poonage (unless i accidentally'd a copy from one of my snail mail drops) so i dont know :/
  39. Anonymous Member

The following states now have AS on their 2011-2012 SES provider lists:

Colorado
    Applied Scholastics International 11755 Riverview Drive St. Louis, MO 63138
    3672 S. Lee Court Lakewood, CO 80235
    Approved: 2006‐2007 Reapproved: 2010‐2011
    Provider Name
    Margo Barnhart, Ed. D.
    Mary Cockburn
    Jeanette Banks
    Phone Number/ Email
    (970) 631‐5917 drmargo@earthlink.net
    (505) 281‐5377 m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org
    (303) 781‐8071 jeanette@aplusco.org
    Avg. Hrs. of Tutoring
    Reading/ Math [R,M]
    R,M
    R,M
    Learning/ Tech‐ based Learning N/A
    N/A
    Tutoring Setting
    Individual & Small Group
    Individual & Small Group

Kansas
    http://www.ksde.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PAwxh1mpm7E=&tabid=3567&mid=11917
    Supplemental Educational Services Provider Contact Information
    Provider/Company Name: Applied Scholastics International
    Contact Person: Mary Cockburn
    Address, City, State: 11755 Riverview Drive, St. Louis
    Zip Code: 63138
    Phone: 314- 355-6355
    Email: m.cockburn@appliedscholastics.org
    Fax: 314-355- 2621

Twelve states have not yet posted, in addition to the ones cited above as not yet having posted.

• Like Like x 1
  40. DeathHamster Member

As I recall, the Mississauga school is long gone.