Customize

Anonymous - Why We Protest Raising Funds

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by sue, Dec 10, 2010.

1. sue Administrator

Anonymous - Why We Protest Raising Funds

An Invitation

Recent developments regarding WikiLeaks and the corporate and political control of information have led to increased interest and participation in WhyWeProtest.net. We are inspired by this influx of energy and creativity. We invite all of our increasingly diverse users to collaborate with us toward real and substantive change on a widening range of issues.

WhyWeProtest and Anonymous

Anonymous is not an organization. There are no official members, guidelines, leaders, representatives or unifying principles. Rather, Anonymous is a word that identifies the millions of people, groups, and individuals on and off of the internet who, without disclosing their identities, express diverse opinions on many topics. To be Anonymous does not imply thinking or acting in concert with others who are Anonymous; rather, it describes a way of communicating and promoting social change.

As an offshoot of the larger Anonymous group, WhyWeProtest (WWP) has become the hub of the anti-Scientology movement that is often called Project Chanology. We have also initiated planning and discussion in other pro-free speech areas. Our role has been to provide a stable platform to discuss legal methods of protest and information dissemination. We take no position on other forms of civil disobedience, although from both a public relations and a technical point of view we cannot host the planning or promotion of illegal activities.

WhyWeProtest and Internet Censorship

WhyWeProtest's roots extend beyond Chanology to a larger movement that favors free expression and the free exchange of information. Along with our Scientology-related endeavors, we host discussion and activism on a number of other topics. In collaboration with The Pirate Bay, we have offered support to the Green Wave movement in Iran, providing a neutral platform for protesters to promulgate their message and providing information on real-life and online self-protection.

More recently, we have welcomed the current wave of visitors to join in the discussion of the corporate and governmental oppression of WikiLeaks. We look forward to collaboration in support of our shared values. We make no explicit statement regarding whether various groups' activities are good or bad, nor will we enforce our view of what should be done outside the parameters of this website.

The viral marketing efforts on behalf of free speech issues that have begun on Facebook, Twitter, and elsewhere reveals a potentially powerful grass-roots movement against Orwellian control--a movement that is bigger than WWP, Chanology and even Anonymous, and that has the power to overcome complacency, apathy, inaction and feelings of irrelevance. To reach fruition, these efforts must lead to concerted and focused activism.

Our Vision

Eventually, WhyWeProtest intends to provide a broad and neutral platform to support sustained collaboration, brainstorming, and planning on a variety of social and political issues. Under discussion and development for the past several years, this plan has proven difficult and expensive to implement. We cannot immediately bring it to pass. But we will enthusiastically work overtime to raise the funds and get it started.

How You Can Help

If you would like to do something about current issues of corporate and governmental accountabilitity, we invite you to contribute your ideas, your creativity, your energy, and your resources to help make this happen. To be blunt, our hopes are high; our funding is not. We ask no payment for your participation here, but at this time we welcome donations from those who can afford it.

We continue to believe that diverse individuals who share common ideals can progress beyond the temporary satisfaction of retaliation and toward efficient, targeted and sustained activism. Together, we can shed a beacon of hope that will illuminate our defense of freedom and our consciousness of shared humanity.

We are Anonymous.

Donations

Donations to WhyWeProtest support the website's substantial hosting requirements. With enough generosity, we can also fund the redesign of our website, bringing to bear our internet and real-life experience over the past three years, adding features that will enhance users' ability to plan and coordinate.

Donate either here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/splashpage.html
    or here: http://www.whyweprotest.net/en/donations/
  2. Anonymous Member

re: Anonymous - Why We Protest Raising Funds

Paypal on the front page? Really? I do not mind the message I am just confused about the "paypal" on the front page.

Otherwise, very nicely worded and said on that page.
  3. Anonymous Member

Paypal is now friendly again ;) They learning the lesson and give the money.
  4. Anonymous Member

OKay then, I'll simmer down.
  5. Anonymous Member

Re: Anonymous - Why We Protest Raising Funds

RE: wordage- I changed my mind...too many big word like "promulgate" ..wtf....keep it real, bitches. Way to 'schooly' stiff stuff. Since I am the only one posting ITT I will keep proofreading. You are welcome.
  6. veravendetter Member

Well done to the author of the front page! Brilliant choice of words and a great welcome for the many viewpoints we get on this site. With all the recent furore, some members had me worried that the place was pussying out on some issues, but this allays any clouds of doubt that were brewing in my mind, and inspires me as to why i joined this forum originally. Don't know you, but love you

Also, if 'promulgate' is a problem for you, you're in serious trouble.
  7. Anonymous Member

I was not thinking about me when I typed that, duh. I am a team player.
  8. Anonymous Member

If you can post a pic of a promulgate, I would favor you in an odd way.
  9. Anonymous Member

It's a verb. The correct verb in that sentence. Unless you want to turn it into a noun, as in Watergate.
  10. Anonymous Member

wow, you are quick.
  11. Anonymous Member

Okay I will explain myself here, the user veravendetter enjoys posting replies in the form of old music covers. It was a challenge to that user. /end story.
  12. veravendetter Member

I know! This was the best i could do! :)

promulgate.jpg
  13. Anonymous Member

bump
  14. moarxenu Member

Donation made.
  15. xenubarb Member

You don't like promulgate? Well, I declare...
  16. Ohhaithurr Member

I'll donate, thought it was a troll.. :eek:
  17. Anonymous Member

Declaring people? Not you, too, Barb?
  18. Anonymous Member

19. Anonymous Member

New scandal may put our Pfizer financial support in jeopardy; donation needed now, more than ever:

UPDATE 1-WikiLeaks cables: Pfizer took aim at Nigeria AG | Reuters
  20. Re: Anonymous - Why We Protest Raising Funds

OK, I'll bite.

One reason protest movements fail is that they lose focus. The protesters discover that they not only agree about doing something about X, they mostly agree about Y and Z as well.

Let me give an example. When the Iraq war began, I received a phone call requesting my support for the anti-war movement that was starting up. I asked how they had got hold of my phone number.
    "You are a member of CND". That's the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in the UK.
    "I am indeed. What's that got to do with an invasion of Iraq?"
    Since my listener couldn't tell me, I gave him both barrels. I wasn't happy about funding any organisation that wasn't spending my money for its stated purpose. Nuclear weapons were not going to be used in this war, so it was nothing to do with CND.

Or take this weeks student protest in London. The cause was specific, a proposed change in government funding for Universities, but the organisers allowed it to be hijacked by others - a general 'anti-cuts' protest and the 'smash the system' agitators that think breaking windows is a Blow Against, Er, Something. They lost focus, and they are failing.

What course WWP follows is up to its crew of course. You should however be aware that the anti-CoS movement is just that and no more. If you start supporting other causes, some will drift away and will no longer be contributing to discussion here.
  21. Anonymous Member

Other causes have been supported for a while, iran.wwp for example. People are perfectly able to support more than one at once.
  22. da5id Administrator

I appreciate the insight and can absolutely agree with your points hartley.. but we've been doing this for 3 years. I feel confident that we can multitask at this point. Sue and I fully intend to keep this a home for chanology for as long as it is needed, but if you've been paying close attention (really close) you'll see that we've been talking about these things for a few years now. And waddayaknow, we're still here.
  23. SOJOA Member

Settle down hippie. Im thinking your on the website altogether then.
  24. SOJOA Member

Oh btw i donated :)
  25. Anonymous Member

As long as we are discussing the relevance of non-Chanology issues, from what I gather on this site and elsewhere, people in Venezuela are becoming quite concerned about the threat of massive internet censorship there. At some point, assistance like Iran received might be requested.
  26. veravendetter Member

man-crying-b.jpg

mfw>

27. rioss Member

For the Freedom, we must be together.
    Done ;)
  28. Anonymous Member

That! ^^^^ the hippie is right ! :)

I remember Anon-Iran site is it still there ? I also remember chanologists coming back to focus on chanology because of the major coverage happening with Marty and friends in the SPTimes. It also seemed like a big problem for our mods dealing with their version of free speech.

As long as WWP.net is chanology and WWP.somethingelse.net is something else I am not particularly bothered by it. I am not particularly bothered by another subject being here for a short term, I would prefer that we keep separate water fountains and separate mods for the other issues. (maybe thats just me, and I don't really feel like I get a say so maybe I should shut up.)

Also does any issue that wishes to make a home here have access to our entire personal army ? Does CCHR get to host their stuff here ? I am still not clear on how the jewgolds are divided. But I don't know if I have contributed $$ since WWPIran. (shame on me)
  29. DonkeyPunch Member

Donated
  30. soonamonkey Member

You are raising funds to fill your pockets with cash camwhore. I'm glad authorities now have a face to blame, mastermind
  31. sue Administrator

You are pretty cute, care to explain what is bad about providing a platform where people can plan on exercising their right to freedom of assembly and expression? I suggest you reread the first post.
  32. xenubarb Member

Awww, damn. A bit funny, but doggone it, that whooshing sound was my 'I declare' going right over your head.

Promulgate:
    –verb (used with object), -gat·ed, -gat·ing.
    1. to make known by open declaration; publish; proclaim formally or put into operation (a law, decree of a court, etc.).
    2. to set forth or teach publicly (a creed, doctrine, etc.).

I just realized something. 'Goldenrod Promulgation' just doesn't have the same ring to it.
  33. Anonymous Member

Let me finish the Christmas shopping and I'll throw a few quid your way. I don't have a lot of money to chuck around but it'll be better than nothing. You can use it to fund whatever the hell you like, or as a contribution for hookers and blow.
  34. JustMissedMe Member

I was going to wait until I got paid for certain projects so I could make a more substantial donation, but at the rate the wankers in check cutting land are moving (in their defense, busy month) that could be halfway to never, and I was afraid I'd forget to donate at all.

So I went ahead and tossed in a little now, and when the check fairy arrives, I can toss in a bit more.

And yeah, I know nobody cares, but I'm mostly just posting to bump the thread. I've got a stupid aversion to just posting the word 'bump'. I'll add it to the therapy list.
  35. COREarg Member

If I donate,can I get to Operating Anon 3 and the meaning of life,universe and everything else?

I will try to gather some money. Sadly it will not be really too much in dollars, but better five dollars than nothing,right? right? :(
  36. willhaven720 Member

pfizer.jpg
  37. da5id Administrator

Thanks to everyone that has donated so far, it is very much appreciated and we are happy that you have faith in our vision. I am also pleased that so many people who donate suggest in the comments that we use it for hookers, blow, similar. While that's not where it's going, I like where your head is at ;)
  38. Scatman Member

I will chip in when my cheques arrive from the German government, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Novartis, the American Psychiatric Association, the CIA, the FBI and the NSA.
    Did I forget anyone?
  39. veravendetter Member

I'm a Glaxo man myself. Only took the blood-oath a year ago, but I'm already shooting up the ranks. On top of basic, I've been given a new Blackberry, a Versace Anon suit, and vouchers for cool days out like Zorb-balling and Orienteering.
  40. Anonymous Member

top_ramen.jpg
    ^^^