Customize

Anonymous VS Sony: Sony Attacks YouTube Viewers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

1.Turn off your router
    2. Turn on your router
    3. now you haz new IP address
  2. jimwat12 Member

I think this is a slap on the face of justice, i know these are harsh words but there is no respect for the rule of law
  3. Anonymous Member

So what about what this guy sayz?

4. Linxis° Member

Im scared to watch that now xD
  5. Anonymous Member

6. 8675309 Member

That actually doesn't work for most people.
  7. 8675309 Member

Who cares what he says? This isn't about PS3 hacking. Its about Sony's attack on youtube and our internet freedoms. Fuck Sony.
  8. I can talk to you about this if you PM me or post with your real account but it is damn hard to talk about the flaws in your assessment in the forum. I dont want to take up space going over the fine/ or not so fine points.
  9. Anonymous Member

No. It's a case where it's important to be straightforward, so that people don't get a false sense of security. It's not true that a new IP will be issued. Disconnecting cable modem didn't work either in my case. I'm stuck with my IP, which incidentally has changed for the first time in years a few weeks ago. I expect the new one to last for months, regardless of my router or modem cable being switched off.
  10. Linxis° Member

1. Click on "Start" in the bottom left hand corner of screen
    2. Click on "Run"
    3. Type in "command" and hit ok
    4. Type "ipconfig /release" just like that, and hit "enter"
    5. Type "exit" and leave the prompt
    6. Right-click on "Network Places" or "My Network Places" on your desktop.
    7. Click on "properties"
    8. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click "properties"
    9. Double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list under the "General" tab
    10. Click on "Use the following IP address" under the "General" tab
    11. Create an IP address (It doesn't matter what it is. I just type 1 and 2 until i fill the area up).
    12. Press "Tab" and it should automatically fill in the "Subnet Mask" section with default numbers.
    13. Hit the "Ok" button here
    14. Hit the "Ok" button again
    You should now be back to the "Local Area Connection" screen.
    15. Right-click back on "Local Area Connection" and go to properties again.
    16. Go back to the "TCP/IP" settings
    17. This time, select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    18. Hit "Ok"
    19. Hit "Ok" again
    20. You now have a new IP address

The Power of Google.

P.S:
    This only changes your dynamic IP address, not your ISP/IP address.
    You cant change your IP unless you buy a new router.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

^ werd
  12. Increasingly. Make your semi-automatic firearm fully automatic, get in trouble with the government. Modify your car's pollution controls, get in trouble with the government. Even though you own these things. When the arguments are "safety" and "the environment", I wouldn't shout "first sale doctrine". You might be morally right, but you are going to lose.

Try to use the normal capabilities that your PS3 had when you bought it (it is still safe to use, so no "safety" or "environmental" argument), and you get in trouble with Sony. A corporation. And they're using the legal process to intimidate and harass. The first sale doctrine absolutely applies here (I own it, I can do what I want with it, including modify or sell it. Second-hand bookstores and record/CD shops rely on this). Sony is trying to inconvenience GeoHot and others to "go along quietly" with Sony's plans for how you use [the reduced functionality of] your device. AFAIK you can refuse the firmware updates that remove "other OS", but then you can't use Sony's subscription gaming service. That's like the "terms of service" at a bank or on AOL. They change from time to time, and you accept this from the very first time you subscribe. So give up capabilities or give up the subscription gaming.

If this is fought (and I hope it will be), I believe Sony will lose.

Let's see here. Sony makes a "special" incompatible MP3 format (AAC) with no benefits that I can see. They invent special memory sticks for cameras with no real advantages that I can see (and make people buy new USB memory card readers). And let's not forget the Windows rootkit on music CDs from certain Sony artists a few years ago. Let's avoid Sony's products (including Sony artists and movies from Sony Pictures).

And as far as my IP address, I think mine alternates between 2 specific addresses. One week it is one address, the next week it is the second, the next week back to the first, etc. I use the telephone company high-speed (Cincinnati Bell). Different ISPs have different equipment, so your IP address might vary quite a bit, or not at all. PROXY UP anytime you feel the need (there are proxies for browsing [like visiting CO$ sites], and proxies for anonymizing e-mail [like sneakemail or hushmail]). Really sophisticated users (or those doing really sensitive work) will use proxies (and/or use anonymizing e-mail services) on a different continent with different privacy laws and crime statutes, reducing the chance that your local law enforcement will find out who you are.

Good luck, and be careful out there. Xenuspeed, everyone!
  13. Anonymous Member

Some ISP's assign IP's dynamically (i.e. you get a new IP every time you connect your router).
    Most seem to assign them statically (which means your IP rarely changes).

Restarting your router won't help in the latter case, which afaik is the majority of internet connections.
  14. Anonymous Member

First, at the bottom left of my screen there is only a button which says "click here to hide all the windows and show the desktop," there is no "Start".

But anyways, I get what you says: You provided a list of steps to potentially change you local network home IP address, which is completely and utterly useless. And even with a new router the ISP is not guarantee to work.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Linxis° Member

My answer to you...
  16. TheAnonFu Member

woooow gay cmon sony i thought u were good. Bah! tryharding in taking hackers. I think hacking is ok only for like emulators, not pissing off people in cod
  17. xenubarb Member

Why? Is your dog sick?
    • Like Like x 7
  18. Anonymous Member

Sony shouldn't be doing this. If they weren't a major corporation, they would be arrested.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. eddieVroom Member

...unless the DHCP server is still reserving an IP address, in which case you need to change the MAC address on the router's WAN port if the device supports the option. And assuming that you're not set up with a static IP, or that you're tunneling a VPN (PPTP, WinPoet, IPsec, whatever), thus rendering the local IP on the internal network trivial, etc. etc.
  20. Loki's spawn Member

Sony just got a foot full of bullets with this. And it looks like they're reloading...
    • Like Like x 1
  21. eddieVroom Member

Nothing really turns completely off any more.
  22. Zak McKracken Member

Drain the caps.

[IMG]
  23. okami Member

It is true that the fact of obtaining info from an external website in order to "prevent" possible hacks is aberrant and in any case should this be ignored, but I agree with that one who posted that making a boicot would be less than useless.
    In the other hand, I think that the best solution for this violation is to cooperate between us in publishing and sharing this piece of information with the world as far as possible, so that more people kows it. Then we could agree about the measures we'll take.
  24. Zak McKracken Member

yes?
  25. Anonymous Member

Arrested for what?
  26. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

They are going to blow their foot off with this shit. Even if they don't target the other people on the IP list, this is causing a lot of bad PR waves for Sony.
  27. MJP7 Member

Next Gen Tactics guy = moron i wish he had a point to his never ending rambling.
  28. Herro Member

So everyone just ran right past the part where the subpoena was only granted to allow Sony the ability to establish how wide spread the information leak was, and that they can't do shit to you with that information even if they wanted? Fight on zealots!
  29. Anonymous Member

Shut up Herro, how dare you have a relevant point! You are not allowed to make good points! SO SHUT UP!
  30. Sony is being a bunch of hypocrites. IIRC, Sony was selling PS1 developers kits back in the day. So what's the difference between that and what this Geo dude is doing?
  31. Anonymous Member

The point is Sony is trying to intimidate people by way of the subpoena. Also Sony is attempting to stop us from using our equipment as we please. Also Sony is intimidating people who un lock technology.
    So there.
  32. Herro Member

I think Sony is in the wrong for trying to go after someone for providing information on how to fiddle with a product that the individual has purchased. But they are not intimidating people with the subpoena. They got the subpoena because they convinced the courts that the information was necessary for them to make their case and that there was no other feasible way of obtaining that information. The main question, in my opinion, is whether the courts properly balanced the rights of Sony to argue its case, the rights of Google to do what it wants with the information it collects, and the privacy rights of the individuals who viewed the video. Thus far I think the court was correct in its ruling because it's simply allowing Sony to show how widely the information leak was disseminated; and that is central to their ability to prove harm was done. I also think that the EFF raised important questions about the potential for abuse of that information. I disagree with their assertion that the courts overreached, but they still raise very valid concerns- the kind of concerns which must be taken into account when decisions such as these are made. There's also an issue of venue here but since I'm not a lawyer I don't know how that works.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention, but which I see others in this thread have already pointed out- having a list of IP addresses doesn't mean they have everyone's dox. They would need to convince a judge to compel all of the ISPs of those individuals to turn over records of which IP corresponds to what individual.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

^^^ THIS. 'Nuff said.
  34. They are intimidating people with the subpoena. If they wanted the information on dispersal of the video, they could get that with the "insight" function- which gives number of views, where they are from (including which state they are from), and if its the same IP address watching the video over. Lots of info.
    They are asking for the IPs to intimidate people.
    The courts should have protected our privacy rights, no one explained You Tube to them.
    Indeed, they do not have anyone's dox. For the most part. And they have no interest in hunting any of us down, they are drowning under the data.
    Anyone who watches the GeoHot video helps to drown them.
  35. Herro Member

If they wanted to intimidate people, why didn't they make any effort to make this known to the public? I also find your assumption that the courts need You Tube to be explained to them to be laughably ignorant.
  36. 00anon00 Member

The public in question- GeoHot video fans- all know. It's posted in the video.
    I'm right, you're wrong. 
    0c8b82bd-11c2-412b-b786-26cb7b54c158.jpg
  37. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

^^^
    FIFY

I am still waiting to see what Sony does before I panic. Still, Sony is going to blow their dick off over this no matter what happens in court.
  38. 00anon00 Member

What did you FFM? It's like those puzzles "Where are the six differences between these pictures"
  39. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Ohhhh.... My bad. Or my computer's bad. The picture wasn't showing up in your post and showed only the URL of the picture. It is showing up now and I guess there was nothing to fix after all.
  40. 00anon00 Member

No MY bad, it took 3 times before it posted as an image.
    U b 2 fast