Customize

Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by Hubbard-Telescope, Mar 5, 2008.

1. SenatorXenu Member

Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

If we just happen to be at the bar, or eating at the restaurant, then we're normal paying customers. They can't argue with that.
  2. Spot Member

They can still throw you out though. "Right to refuse service" etc. It's a private business (or collection thereof.)

Go in groups, don't look suspicious, just pass by the area where the scilon shindig is and paste up flyers when nobody's looking I guess. You can try sitting in the restaurant, but I have a feeling you'll get ejected if you're wearing masks. Lots of undercover ops could be pulled off I suppose.
  3. SenatorXenu Member

Agreed, a little infiltration might be in order, it would be nice to get screencaps of their videos
  4. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

If you know anything about the girl that got canned, it would be mighty big of everyone to do what we can to help. This wasn't her fault. She's a casualty of an unrelated battle, and while it's the CoS's responsibility for doing this, we should do what we can to make sure people don't get squashed by the church just for helping us.
  5. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

I am SOOOO writing a letter (nicely) of disappointment) to Lillian.
  6. SenatorXenu Member

We're trying to find her ASAP
  7. seebs Member

I sent a letter expressing my disappointment, and assuring them that I won't go to Marriott properties anymore.

I urge people NOT to go in and go to the restaurant or whatever. DO NOT PATRONIZE THE EVIL.
  8. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

Sending dis to Lillian and attaching corporate (customer.care@marriott.com) I called them and asked for the email to send a formal complaint to.

I know we can't get it revoked, but I want corporate to know why 200 people will be protesting outside of a Marriott in a few weeks.

---------------------------------------

Background of incident (I have attached a copy of the letter we received concerning the unfair cancellation of our event):

DC Anonymous Convention 2008
    When: 4-10 PM March 22nd
    Where: Wardman Park Marriott

Status of the person at Marriott who helped us book the event: Fired!

Dear Lillian/Wardman Park Marriott -

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this. To begin, I really am disappointed by your decision to cancel our event. Namely, the fact that you completely plugged your ears to our side of the facts and decided to only hear from the group with the deeper pockets. I want to be very clear when I say this: No disruptive action was planned during the event against any other group. This was clearly stated in the rules posted by those planning this event.

We would not have stood for such a disruption, and would have removed any such person from the event of our own accord, or reported them to hotel staff immediately. If you had actually taken the time to listen to both sides, you would know we are peaceful, and were never planning to disrupt any other group with a simultaneous gathering. That would be rude and probably unlawful. Plus, it would get us kicked out (and rightfully so).

They have consistently lied about us, our members, and our intentions to the media and the police. They filed 2 injunctions recently against our peaceful and lawful protests which were both summarily thrown out of court. They post pictures of us on the internet with our names and home towns to scare us. They harass and lie and we respond only by stating the truth. In truth, I would be more concerned about our event being disrupted...

Oh wait! It was! You canceled it. Did we try to get their event canceled? No, they have the right to enjoy themselves, as I thought we did.

I understand how much pressure they can exert upon others with their bullying tactics. Money talks, I get it. Just know that you refused a peaceful and fun loving group of individuals a great time by believing all the lies you were fed. It is also my understanding that a female employee at the Wardman Park Marriott who assisted us in booking the event was fired over this incident. I am not sure if this is true, but I would like this investigated, since that would be a very odd thing to have happened.

The most ironic thing is, you will still see us there. We will be peacefully protesting with proper permits. You will see us there, just not our money. It's really a shame. Next time, please consider both sides of the situation before you knee jerk and ban someone from your premises. Not very good PR, in my book, forcing dozens of people to stand outside with signs instead of eating cake and dancing inside.

--Deeply Disappointed Party Goer
  9. Captain-chan Member

BITCH FUCKING SLAP.
  10. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

That kind of tone is not going to help. Write your letter with the calm and sobriety of a formal complaint letter.

Pepper business-speak with words like "outrageous" and "egregious" and "disappointing" and "uncalled for" to adequately express your anger while coming off as a respectable customer. If they think you're some wacko kid on the internet, they're not going to feel that they've lost any business.
  11. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

edit, sorry

I toned it down, it's business like now.
  12. orly Member

Wait, you need more cash?

?! Aren't they giving you your money back? They had better give you your fucking money back.

Also, find the girl who was fired, and raise a HUGE fuss about it. She's probably really, really upset right now, over being fired for no reason, and could probably use some verbal support and stuff.
  13. anmoyunos Member

What he said.

Awesome letter.
  14. SenatorXenu Member

For all we know, Marriott could be a victim in this, It wouldn't be the first time the scilons intimidated a group into bending to their will

And yes we got the money back, but its more expensive to book last minute somewhere else, we have it mostly covered, though
  15. Hieronymous Member

FUCK THAT SHIT. Senator you gotta try and get in touch with the girl they fired too

As jealous as I was, I wished only the best :x
  16. Anonnomnom Member

Re: Anonymous Convention DC

Who would have thought that the 2nd craziest religion would be helping the craziest one. The way to the hotel from the metro station is all uphill, and having it lined with Anonymous will be all kinds of awesome.
    It's a shame that they cancelled the group's reservation. The hotel is really nice, and there would have been plenty of room for all parties.
  17. SenatorXenu Member

We're working on it.
  18. Anon9000+1 Member

This would make it even more delicious to get a VPN into the net. Omg. Thatd be awesome.
  19. Hieronymous Member

The CoS probably showed them the youtube video THEY made and went "ZOMG TERRORIST GROUP!!!" and then probably said they wanted that girl fired or they would sue the Marriott for crimes against religion
  20. a non-anon Member

I thought all internet content made it totally clear that our only means of being disruptive was by our mere presence.

Is that enough to kick us out? If the Klu Klux Klan and a bunch of African Americans organized an event, on the same day, in the same Mariotts hotel, do the African-Americans get the boot?
  21. AnonCaros Member

As I mentioned on the original "Closed down" Thread, this is all pretty reasonable on the hotels part.

Whatever euphamisms we cloaked it in, we were intending to go there to rile the scilons. If they weren't there, we certainly wouldn't be, and the fact that we're still showing up even after they canceled our reservation shows that.

Now I'm not saying this is a bad idea, personally I love the concept behind it, but look at it from the hotel's point of view. We book a room with them for a party. The reason we book this room is because down the hall or across the building is a major event of our enemies, and our presence there will bother them, up to and possibly including wrecking the whole event.

One hotel guest is there only to bother another hotel guest. That alone would get us punted, but then consider that the other 'guest' rented most of the goddamned hotel and spent an order of magnitude more money than we did. Keep the big guys happy? Or put on a good face.

This isn't their fight, and the only thing I think they did wrong was to book the event, which, due to the firing one can assume was a decision that was handled by a low level clerk.

tl;dr Leave the damned hotel alone, they're just trying to run a buisness and we threw our cause in its way.

Edit- And as a responce to the above KKK analogy. In your analogy we're the KKK. We're the small group of disruptive masked individuals. Sure our cause is rightious and thiers is crazy, but we're the ones who came in with the intention of starting something (Even on an extremely low intensity)
  22. a non-anon Member

Well, that's depressing as shit.
  23. bannanana Member

It was too good to be true. I applaud your efforts on this one guys. We tried, we'll be more clever next time. Like say- going into a convention as any other company than anon ;)
  24. anonoh1 Member

Geez, next time make it a Furry convention. They'd never see it coming.
  25. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

or

book the con as "International Internet Human Rights Activists". Then, as you pass any Scieno in the hall, say outloud to your friend "I really love what Anonymous is doing. I wish we could join them or something."

;-)
  26. SenatorXenu Member

The contract had a clause that they could cancel for any reason if they gave us our money back.
  27. a non-anon Member

Well, I hope you got your cash back then.
  28. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

Oh you coy bastards. You tried to mislead me. ;)
  29. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

We needed to do a little damage control, but DC will not be disrailed. Failure is not an option.
  30. Samuel Hughes Member

I like the Human Rights Convention angle. This needs to be a staple idea for future events, since that certainly more accurately describes Anonymous than the CCHR.
  31. Whitehat Member

If they thought Anonymous was going to make them nervous...
  32. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

If the nigras booked after the KKK, then yes. It's not a matter of right and wrong for the hotel. They are a business, and have never claimed anything else. Our presence there would be disruptive, and we knew this. They just don't want any trouble. We put the hotel in the position where they had to upset one of two paying customers, and they chose us because we booked after them. There's really nothing to be upset about here.
  33. Annie Omnes Member

Yeah! I thought this was the whole point of Anonymous -- we're the Someone Else's Problem you have to jump around to see (Hitchhiker's Guide reference). We're the Herd of Heisenbergian Cats our opponents try to herd -- but they can't, 'cause were subatomic (can't see that with radar) and, more to the point, who the hell knows if we're even there? After all, there are no "leaders" of Anon, and there aren't any "representatives" -- we all hold all the ranks and none of them.

I mean, sitting at that bar, drinking, we are each legion all by ourselves -- Leader, Follower, Standout, Everyman, Fall Guy, Culprit. That's Anonymous. We wear many masks, and yet, really, no mask at all, all at once. We bend the very rules of physics. We are at that bar, and yet, we are just some schmo setting up a VPN for other like-minded bar patrons for a little spontaneous LAN party. Da, tavareesh?
  34. Re: Anonymous Convention DC - Massive Update on p5!!

We are upset at the CoS's litigation threats and intimidation tactics leveraging their money in coercing the hotel to comply. That, and the firing of our booking agent.
  35. AnonCaros Member

I am curious what proof we have that the church did anything more than say. "Hi, we found out you booked a group of protesters who hate us on the same night as our annual gala. If this is true, consider the reservation cancelled."

As far as the girl? Well I have a soft spot for women in distress, but I will point out, if she brought us in knowing everything, then she probably should be fired because she caused problems for her company, thats capitolism folks.

If she was unaware however, then they are hideous scumbags and she should sue the hotel for wrongful dismissal.

Edit: And just as an addendum. I hate protecting this church. I think they're about as scummy as scum can get. That said, I believe, and have always believed, that most of the church is benign. Don't assign the most evil and vile face to everything they do. Most of them are just people, and I'm sure the person who 'fought' us here is just a secretary or middle manager doing their job.
  36. Anon453453 Member

Agreed AnonCaros, difficult to make a judgement on the employee that was fired without hearing the whole story.

But the situation and parties involved does change the equation somewhat.
  37. We're looking into it and we hope to get her to speak out. We don't want her to be fair gamed.
  38. The best thing to now do is

Get huge numbers in DC @ the hotel protest.
    Make we're CLEARLY visible from every entry point into the building.
    Have signage that speaks to the injustice of Co$ at every entry point
    ENSURE they see we're onto them - at their so-called-churches and at thier rallies....

The other ideas may be to flyer on the windshields at the nearby event parking, the day before and the day of the event....

Also if they have a feed from their video we could find some way to 'borrow/liberate' it would be great to get a glimpse of what the new propaganda they're spewing ... but Im sure this is more of a 'pat-on-the-back' event.
  39. fluffbomb Member

It's a shame that the hotel chose to take this action. I would have advised both parties that there were rules, I would have hired extra security, I would have mediated to allow both parties to continue with their celebrations peacefully, gaining revenue and preventing a backlash/negative PR from an external protest.

But that's just me.

And going off topic for a moment...

See, I have tried and tried to convince myself that they are "just people", but it isn't really working for me.
    I judge people on their actions, and the way I see it, these people are supporting a system that they know is damaging to society. The information is out there and ignorance is not an excuse.
    I do not believe that there is a Scientologist on Earth who doesn't know about Lisa McPherson, Fair Game, the SP ideology and the fact that (by their own documentation, see the tones scale and SP's) 20% of the Earths population are able to be destroyed. At the very least they ALL know that Scientology is determined to destroy psychiatry through any means, imposing their will on millions.
    We all make decisions every day and most of the time we make the right ones in order to prevent harm to others, better the lives of ourselves and our loved ones. These people all make the choice to stay in this group, to continue to do harm to society, to damage medical professions, to destroy livelihoods and victimize people.

In my opinion, ignorance is not a defense.

Having said that, this is my view of the whole scenario not of a particular person. So I don't know if I am wrong. This is what I am forced to believe through being a witness to their actions.
    There might be a very innocent Scientologist who has no clue about Lisa, Fair Game and so on, but I have never met one. The only members of the cult that I have seen are all actively engaging in harassing people, abusing their rights, taking evidence for further abuse and so on. I've heard representatives of this cult brandishing accusations against any person who speaks against them or even questions.

I understand that many will not agree with me, and I don't want people to think that I am a mean person at all, but when I meet (or even see evidence of) a Scientologist who is intelligent, open, not supporting the destruction of modern medicine, not arbitrarily attacking people who have opposing opinions, then I might reconsider my view.

None of this means my response to these people will be anything but civil; I am a decent and moral person. But I just find it hard to understand how any rational person could support a group like this.
  40. AnonEFG12365 Member

I'm sorry but this pissed me off

The thing about Scientology is that the way they run it, they Break down the parishioners mentally and work them to what they are today. Like with most cults, they are brainwashed into thinking that everything is right, or at least justifiable. so please keep in mind that They truly are people, and the only way to bring them back is with education and understanding.

tl:dr: Scientologists are people, Brainwashed, but people. Educate them, don't shun them!