Customize

Anonymous commissioned to write a 800 word newpaper article

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by NoMoreDiscoNnects, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Anonymous commissioned to write a 800 word newpaper article

Hello

A national broadsheet newspaper here (300,000+ circulation) runs a weekly feature wherein it prints two articles about a topical issue from representatives of two opposing views.

Next week's topic will Scientology - "Is it a cult, what are its dangers?" with 2 pieces from representatives of Anonymous and of the Church of Scientology.

I imagine the primary difficulty for Anonymous will be keeping its article within the 800 word limit. It's due this Thursday. Contributions can go in this thread, or via PM if necessary.

Thanks.
  2. Sanjuricus Member

Re: Anonymous commissioned to write a 800 word newpaper article

I'll have a pop at this and put it up here for critique. :)
  3. Anonymeep Member

I think it'd be a good idea to stick to things we can prove, either with court speeches or quotes from their own policy. They will go for the vagueries and mood making, but if we come off as completely factual, the public will see the difference between our style and theirs....

(sorry for the non-contribution, don't have sufficient attention span to write an essay right now, but would be happy to comment and suggest)
  4. Sanjuricus Member

Comments and Suggestions will be more than welcome when I have posted my attempt up. I aim to keep it factual but will need extra pairs of eyes to counter my tendency to go off on one about things!!!!
  5. Robert S Member

Go Sanjuricus! Some points for your consideration.

"Is it a cult, what are its dangers?"

IMO...

A "cult" is not simply "a religious organization that you don't like" or "a religion that is outside the mainstream" (which will no doubt be what the Scientologists will say). One of the definitions of a cult includes the level of worship, adherence, or veneration of the infallibility of its leader, leadership, or teachings, to the exclusion of rational questioning of that person or doctrine. In Scientology there is only one recognized "Source" of knowledge, and people who question the belief system are not allowed to remain within the group.

(ok to rip off un-credited. It's yours now if you think its ok and you want it!)

----------------------------
    In a webpage that predates Anonymous (2001) apologeticsindex.org
    Examining the Church of Scientology - Research resources, News, and News Archive
    makes a point worthy of mentioning...

"Scientology has a long history of hate and harassment activities, which - along with lying and deception - are condoned and encouraged in the cult's own ''scriptures".''
    ----------------------
    An example of "dangers" and the process...
    "...Nobody joins a cult. You join a self-help group a religious movement a political organization.

"They change so gradually, by the time you realize you're entrapped - and almost everybody does - you can't figure a safe way back out...."
    - Deborah Layton, Survivor of Jim Jones' Peoples Temple
    ----------------------
  6. TDL Member

Okay, so if everyone does a paragraph, here's mine (in dire need of editing):
    Furthermore, Scientology has an illegal tax-exempt status. To qualify for a religious tax-exempt status in America, an organization must have“[…]no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.” (US code, title 26, section 501.) The Church of Scientology doesn’t do this; they brag on their own website an auditor (position in Scientology) can make “$5,760 income for 1 week,” (ASHO - Auditing as a Career.) This is for 2 12 ½ hour ‘intensives,’ which translates to 25 hours of work, or $230.40 an hour.
    (88 words, 83 without the citations)
  7. indeedindeed Member

suggestions for this, use it or dont in any way you like:

"What are its dangers? There are members that lost all their belongings during their journey on the "Bridge to total freedom", because the courses tend to become very expansive as you move upwards each level. Families have been torn apart because members are supposed to disconnect from people deemed "suppressive persons" by the organization, which may include members of their own family, which are critical towards Scientology. Because Scientology believes psychiatry to be evil in general (e.g. it is claimed psychiatry was behind the Holocaust), members are being encouraged not to take psychiatric medication even in severe cases and instead the usage of vitamins are advised.
    As a member you have got no control over personal details disclosed during "auditing" (therapeutic sessions) that go into folders stored with the so called "ethics department" and you therefore become dependent on the goodwill of the people in this department, which is not always a given.
    In general the system of Scientology tends to make you dependent on the organization in several ways, beginning with language:
    The usage of a special scientology lingo tends to isolate Scientologists from Society, because with this usage goes a very different view of the world.
    The aforementioned ethics department also assigns so called "conditions" to each of the members, e.g. "danger", "liability", "power" or even "treason" and demands certain action depending on which condition you are in. When you are "on staff" (working for scientology) you are judged by statistics and there can be measures taken against you if these statistics do not increase. In extreme cases these measures include being sent to camps where you have to do physical labor for hours and besides study and sleep the only breaks you get are those for meals. In addition to this there are long confessional sessions where you are being asked to confess any wrongdoings. There have been reports of severe abuses and human rights violations happening within these camps. In these camps you are not allowed to speak to people outside of your group, these RPFs are designed to show you that you are being controlled and have no power over your actions. Contrast this with the promises given when you start with Scientology, you are supposed to grow more independent and raise your abilities.
    So, there clearly are a lot of dangers and hardships for those inside of Scientology. But what about those outside of Scientology? Consider the following quote by the group's founder L. Ron Hubbard for a moment:

"Somebody some day will say "this is illegal." By then be sure the orgs say what is legal or not."
    (L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, in a 1966 HCO Policy Letter)

This should raise some alarm bells. Another quote by the same gentleman with regards on how to react to criticism:

"Never discuss Scientology with the critic. Just discuss his or her crimes, known and unknown."
    (L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, in a 1967 HCO bulletin)

Hubbard also was of the opinion that the only effect democracy had, was "to push men further into the mud". So it is fair to say that the founding principles of Scientology were created by a man with a disdain for democracy. Unfortunately, these words are far from empty. In 1977 the FBI uncovered a plot by the intelligence branch "Guardian office" of the organization to infiltrate government offices around the world and to steal documents that contained anything negative about Scientology or L. Ron Hubbard. The "Guardian Office" has since been dissolved, but the "Office of special Affairs" has taken its place. Its but a change of name: In the 1990s the athens office of Scientology was raided and the investigators discovered over 2000 prepared dossiers on prominent members of the greek society such as politicians, celebrities, members of the press,...
    Scientology attacks critics by lawsuits, usage of PIs and spreading of unfounded rumours. This is done exactly as L. Ron Hubbard planned it in the infamous "fair game" policy about SPs (=enemies of Scientology):

"ENEMY — SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed."

(L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, in a 1967 policy letter)

Scientology PR will tell you that "Fair Game" has been cancelled since. This is partially true, but at the end of the cancellation it says: "...does not cancel any policy on the treatment or handling of an SP."

These are some of the reasons why Scientology is dangerous and harmful to scientologists as well as to society at large."
  8. Sanjuricus Member

Thanks for the contributions, I'm suffering from epic fail Migraine at the moment but I'll check everything out when thinking doesn't feel like I'm lancing my eyeballs with a hot needle. :)

I must have an OT8 from OSA outside my house postulating me some pain!!!
  9. Sanjuricus Member

I awoke this morning with a nasty but much more tolerable headache to find a message waiting for me on YouTube:

I've posted it here as requested with two caveats.
    1. The contents of this message between the quotes are absolutely nothing to do with me.
    2. People should not point out the fact that this chap could have just created another account. I'm gonna do that. :colbert:
  10. xenubarb Member

Hubbard quote on Scientology goals:

"Did you ever read poor old George Orwell's uh... 1984? Yes, yes,
    that's wonderful. That would be, could be, the palest imagined
    shadow of what a world would be like under the rule of the secret
    use of Scientology with no remedy in existence."
    -L. Ron Hubbard PDC Lecture #20
  11. Sanjuricus Member

Well, here it is. Critique the life out of it if you would and it will need some serious contracting to get it down to 800 words. Its at about 1200 words in its current state. I'll be doing an edit myself in a few hours as my headache has returned with a veangeance and thought is now....challenging!!!

I'mm off for a nap before my brain explodes.

PS: Haven't used the contributions because, good though they were, they didn't fit with the angle I chose.
  12. Re: Anonymous commissioned to write a 800 word newpaper article

Critique:

1. There seems to be some confusion over whether children ARE now members of the SeaOrg. It may be better to point out that they often become Staff.

2. Your paragraph explaining an "Elitist Totalitarian Society" doesn't really explain that. Perhaps something on the "upstats" can literally get away with murder aspect ?
    Or the fact that SeaOrg look down on Class V org "staff" who look down on the "public" whilst all sneering at "wogs" ?

Most of very well put together though...
  13. Sanjuricus Member

Noted. Hard to write consistently with a throbbing brain!!! lol

EDIT: Just re-read it and the totalitarian paragraph doesn't work because I had a brain fart and didnt finish that section!!!! what is it that you say....facepalm?
  14. Anonakitty Member

cheers ,

I'm copying bits and pieces from most of these submissions into the existing framework of the debate.
    Keep adding :)
  15. Sanjuricus Member

Bad timing for a Migraine on my part. That contribution was OK but not up to my usual standard. :(
  16. darawk Member

More paragraphs to come, but I think this point is very important. We can debate with them endlessly over the legitimacy of their beliefs, and in doing so we will completely miss the point. Scientology's theological tenets aren't much crazier than any other religion out there, so the 'cult' debate is one that they would probably win anyway.
  17. Dylar Member

So, where does one get this here periodical?