Customize

Anon hosted stress tests?

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Yawgmoth, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Yawgmoth Member

Anon hosted stress tests?

I was surfing ebay earlier and found a vintage e-meter for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scientology-Azimuth ... dZViewItem

I was thinking some rather wealthy Anon could purchase it and offer free auditing and stress tests at their local protest on 3/15. Think about it, we could ask meme related questions (How long is long cat?, Do you liek mudkips?, etc...) and then introduce the person being tested to the "Path of Xenu". I know we're not supposed to spout off memes, but this would be a rather fun thing to do while picketing, and more importantly it'd be a complete mockery of their auditing practices especially if they're free.

I don't think this would be a violation of any copyright laws seeming as how they built it and it's for sale online. I don't think they have a patent on stress tests either. Now, on the other hand, if we built our own e-meter then it'd be infringing their copyrights, but I don't think this is.

Any opinions?
  2. argh Member

Re: Anon hosted stress tests?

Use a standard simple lie-detector and call it a "meme-meter"?

I'm not agreeing that its a good idea though... imagine someone random actually thinking it was a genuine thing.
  3. Mr Green Member

I think this is a bad idea. (at least using a real E meter
    CO$ had successully controlled sale of e-meters on Ebay until the entire thing blew up in their face by lawyer scott pilutik artical. As so what you are giving is the equivalent of a 'fake' Auditing session.... which you have to be 'trained' to do. I don't have the info, but I would think CO$ would have the copyright to that.

On the other hand building your own lie detector, or even a crystal ball with wires connected to soup cans, and calling it a "meme-meter", ohm-meter... anon-meter... would be plenty funny.

Predictions of future and seers of missfortunes.

Of course you will need a table, and chairs, plus banner.
  4. Hostile Member

well, I know that ohm-meters can be bought pretty cheaply at hardware stores and they're pretty much the same as an emeter

I think meme-meter would be okay, but simply asking them questions that are unbiased, (as opposed to scientology's personality tests for kids that make them feel like they deserve to die) and then tell them that they're actually pretty happy, there might be a few things wrong that could be better, but you're for the most part, having a good life

then suggest that they make their life better by helping us
  5. raidsci Member

Cool idea

Well, if we don't decided to host our own stress tests, we can always check out their tests - like so: [IMG]
  6. musketeerwang Member

After one buttload of research, there seem to me only two affordable options for an anon-o-meter:

1) Electrical engineer-anons build them using plans online (actual e-meter circuits or just plain lie detectors for which there are also plans).

2) Buy these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330218988578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

I have one on the way and will do a review of sorts if it's of interest. Clearly it's not at all the same thing as an e-meter, but it would be good enough for a fake test of our making.

As to the idea overall - I'm not sure. People tend to think there's "something in it" regardless of what you tell them afterward. People that pose as psychics and then reveal the fact STILL get thought of as psychics. It's risky.
  7. googoomuck Member

I applaud your creative thinking.

The problem IMO is that the e-meter is a technological prop to help the auditor perform a rather creepy persuasive process, and I'd rather not mess with that.

Maybe, just for the funny, we make an anonmeter that totally sucks- campbell's soup cans with the labels left on, connected with string to a box that is clearly empty/does nothing.

The anonmeter, it does nothing!.....just like the e-meter.
  8. musketeerwang Member

You have a point - something that not only does nothing but LOOKS totally lame would remove any possibility of inadvertently steering someone toward scientology and add to the amusement factor.

Then again no-one would actually sit down and engage with us, would they? If it looked obviously fake?
  9. an e-meter is just a wheatstone bridge they can't sue you for making one.

If nothing else there is considerable prior art

"A Wheatstone bridge is a measuring instrument invented by Samuel Hunter Christie in 1833 and improved and popularized by Sir Charles Wheatstone in 1843. It is used to measure an unknown electrical resistance by balancing two legs of a bridge circuit, one leg of which includes the unknown component. Its operation is similar to the original potentiometer except that in potentiometer circuits the meter used is a sensitive galvanometer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge
  10. musketeerwang Member

I don't think we're worried about being sued, even if we got our hands on a real e-meter. It's more that we might end up introducing people to the very thing we're against! People are already sometimes confused and think we're pro (morons, clearly).
  11. anon14148 Member

Someone should bring a theremin and have the "patient" wave their hands around in it and marvel at the results of the new sonic auditing techniques
  12. tiggernew Member

Why Not?

I think it's a great idea, and here's the manual you need to go with it, for sale for a measly $20. Rock on!

http://www.sellingscnstuff.com/cool...a57b39b85b06=e0caf6f295e3c978ce625e80d3ce2153

The e-meter is a religious artifact, not a medical device, or a scientific device. Everything must come from source, right? It hasn't changed substantially since LRH wrote it, right? I mean, that's CoS's argument. The e-meter, despite getting an outer makeover, is still the same basic thingy that it was way back when, isn't it? (If not, maybe THAT'S their problem. LOL) CoS has publicly said to the FDA that the e-meter is merely part of their spiritual practice, so why can't we do it?

For example: On Ash Wednesday, I can go out with a bowl of ashes and offer everyone who passes by a dot of ash on their foreheads just like a Catholic priest. Many would argue that it's a blasphemy, or offensive, and so on, but it's not illegal. It just lacks the "spiritual significance" a priest doing it would offer. On Sunday, I could've gone out and waved a cross around or waved a palm leaf, and it would be no issue. I'd be indistinguishable from lots of other people, and it's legal to do that.

It would be fun, informative, and very humorous, to get some good-spirited participants to sit down and hold "the cans" with an Anon fiddling with the knobs, trying to figure out how to turn it on, consulting the manual... High comedy, I tell ya. Ask the person if they feel anything, if they think the device could be capable of measuring spirit or strange entities attached to their bodies. "Hey, I'm giving this a try. Got the thingy here, got the manual. Let's give it a go!"

Get it on film. I think it would be great for the general public to see it in action as far as PR goes. Particularly if you pull out the child sec check and read those questions off to participants. Ask them if THEY would let their children go through that in a closed room without them present.

Then give them a parting gift of some sort, like an Anonymous mini-flag.

THIS is what Scientologists actually DO, every day. And they PAY for it.

EDIT: Okay, I personally think it's a funny concept, but doing it publicly would just feel too much like unnecessary ridicule. I still might do it privately among friends, though, just for giggles.
  13. Manumission Member

Bwahahahahaha! Marvelous!
  14. cheezymadman Member

a similar idea i had, what if we go to their stress test booths, in our masks, and take a test, but just give really bizarre/stupid answers to things? or just spout off gibberish/speak foreign language/in tongues? anything to make them look like fools for humoring us.
  15. anonspilz Member

Galvonic Skin Response

There are several biofeedback devices that do exactly the same thing that are popular for consumer use on the market.

Some can be found here:
    http://www.mindmodulations.com

Most notably the ThoughtStream.

The 'popular' name for these devices is GSR Biofeedback. GSR is Galvonic Skin Response.