Customize

And cue the CCHR bawwing

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by mongrel, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mongrel Member

And cue the CCHR bawwing

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, a division of the Dept. of HHS, issued a new report stating that all teens should be screened for depression. Can't wait for the CCHR bawfest about psychiatry. We all know that Scientology works..... and it helps people.

On a related note, a new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences discovered physical differences associated with a family history of depression. The CCHR better launch their harpoons to inform these fools that there are "no physical tests for mental illness".

Article abstract at PNAS

Summary at MSNBC
  2. Mutante Member

re: And queue the CCHR bawwing

Screening TEENS for depression?

LULZ!

See also: Screening old people for gray pubic hair.
  3. Legion Member

in b4 diabeetus
  4. The Shadow Member

Lots of teens ARE depressed though.

I blame the music they listen to; bands like The Slip Knots who play their music far too loud and shout lyrics which are very depressing and violent....
  5. none given Member

If they push this it could be win for CCHR.
    Many people don't like the idea of mandatory medical treatment.
  6. Ravenmore Member

Don't forget Linken Park.

No doubt the workers are busy at the typewriters, busy trying to drum up a response.
  7. Mutante Member

For sure.

[IMG]
  8. TinyDancer Member

Now there's a leap in logic. Mandatory screening /= mandatory treatment.
    That's a CCHR fear-based argument.
  9. whosit Member

No but Mandatory Screening = VAST INVASION OF PERSONAL PRIVACY.

This is bullshit.
  10. the_cloak Member

I saw this today and loled. I knew this would stir up the scilons into a foaming rage.
  11. Ravenmore Member

Not really. There is Mandatory Drug Screening at schools, and this shouldn't be much more different than that in terms of invasion of personal privacy.
  12. whosit Member

Really? Since when? In the US?
  13. Herro Member

You're right about that. However there are other issues here. The primary issue being invasion of privacy. To properly diagnose depression requires that a psychologist or psychaitrist obtain information of a rather personal nature from the patient. To mandate screening for depression is tantamount to compelling teenagers to divulge private information to mental health professionals not of their own volition.

I'm all for increased awareness of the reality of depression, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do so.
  14. Ravenmore Member

Yes, Recently, Yes.
    My old High School has those who join clubs on a random basis, but it's Mandatory if picked.
  15. mefree Member

I disagree. Primary Care Providers can do an initial screening for depression. An important question being, "Have you been depressed lately?"
  16. whosit Member

I would LOVE to see the law on this. Private school maybe. Their school their rules. Public schools, well I won't get started on a political debate, but SciFags wouldn't be the only people pissed.

As far as I know this is still a free country.
  17. mefree Member

I believe this is a recommendation. Not a mandate.
  18. HellRazor Member

19. Ravenmore Member

Public School.
    If you join a club or athletic team, you have a chance to get screened, unless they changed it and made it for everyone in a club or athletic team.
  20. Anonynamefag Member

Now, I'm all for psychiatry, but this is going a bit too far.

How is it the government's business if I'm depressed? Stereotype that depressed teens shoot up schools?

Better give all niggers drug tests, too, while they're at it.
  21. Herro Member

That I would be Ok with. However I am not comfortable with having such screening mandatory for all high school children. It's really the mandatory part I don't like. I would also be fine with encouraging health care providers to screen children for depression.
  22. mefree Member

I guess I missed the mandate. I read this as a recommendation to physicians to screen for depression.
  23. whosit Member

So, in reality this is optional.
  24. Ravenmore Member

In a way yes. But between this and the drug searches (Dogs sniffing lockers either daily or weekly) it seems like some kind of precedent.
  25. mefree Member

I don't have a clue about drug screening in school. I never heard of that one. I wouldn't be surprised if they do start that for athletes.

They do it in college.

I'm not saying I support it. It just wouldn't surprise me.
  26. whosit Member

Drug searches are a different matter all together. Public property - if someone is dumb enough to bring an illegal substance to a public forum that can be searched that's their own fault. Assigned school Locker != expectation of privacy.
  27. Herro Member

What about the inside of your body? What if you bring drugs to school in your fat cells, or your urine, you blood, hair, ect?
  28. whosit Member

As far as I know a school can not mandate drug testing of students unless they are involved with an extracurricular activity or other extenuating circumstances.

I could be wrong.
  29. LocalSP Member

30. xenubarb Member

Yeah, like EVERYONE has a primary care provider, right?

Personally, if I had kids, I'd want to know if there was a Trenchcoat Mafia type running around school with access to weapons.

Just like I'd want to know if there were kids attending who hadn't been inoculated against the usual diseases. Oh, right, you have to be vaccinated to attend public school. What an intrusion on your privacy! The nerve of these people, trying to protect kids from idiot, inattentive parents.

"He had bombs in his room? Why, I had NO IDEA!"
  31. whosit Member

I'm sorry is depression contagious now?
  32. xenubarb Member

It is when it comes with bullets...the survivors are probably really depressed about it.
  33. CantPickaName Member

danscientology.gif
  34. nightfire Member

Having all Peds screen their teen patients for Depression GOOD IDEA
    Educating teachers, school nurses, ect. GOOD IDEA

Making anything manditory... is problematical at BEST.
    1. Who pays for it?
    2. Who makes sure it happens
    3. Exemptions (like with vaccinations)

btw Vaccinations are not manditory... you either get the shot OR fill out an exemtion form saying you understand that your kid will have to stay home if there is an outbreak of the disease.

THIS PARTICULAR BILL is about raising awareness in Primary Care Providers and School staff, and increasing screenings done by qualified people in the child's life. I see nothing wrong or controversial about this.
  35. Herro Member

you know what, never mind. All I'll say is that there are some severe lapses of logic with the notion that kids shoot up schools simply because nobody screened them for depression.
  36. whosit Member

In this post Columbine world......

inb4JonKatzSucks
  37. Ravenmore Member

Well, i would offer a fuller opinion on this matter.
    but politics should be kept out.
  38. TinyDancer Member

This is a logical leap and a very important issue for discussion, I agree.

Note what the National Foundation of Women Legislators Education Policy Committee (co-chaired by Bruce Wiseman and represented by spokesperson Kelly Preston) RESOLVED on this topic (in 2004 and in response to a different recomendation) and ask yourself how much of this resolution was drafted by the sagacious Bruce Wiseman:
    Policy Committees - National Foundation for Women Legislators

Fully agree. Funding a rollout of voluntary screening for mental health issues would be awesome. It's the mandatory aspect that is troubling.
  39. Anonymous Member

Re: And queue the CCHR bawwing

You are absolutely right. It's just a recommendation to doctors.
    The 2004 debate was over a proposal that, it would appear from the NFWL resolution, would mandate both screening AND treatment. Mind you, I'd rather check the primary resources rather than trust a resolution drafted by a Scientologist.
  40. whosit Member

Re: And queu the CCHR bawwing

The piece from National Foundation of Women Legislators Education Policy Committee reads like a CCHR advert.

Raising awareness of depression is good. I won't disagree with that. And I got way off topic from the whole OP. But if anything is going to be made of this, either pooning articles or whatever, the point should be showing ties between this organization and CCHR.

Government getting more involved in healthcare is going to be a very big topic in the coming months in the US and it is going to be very controversial. Some people don't want to see 1/7 of the US economy nationalized. Others do.

We should stay well away from taking sides on the issue itself and just continue to point out SciFaggotry.