Customize

AMAZING Senate C'tee Report!

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Anonymous, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Touchstone Member

Re: AMAZING Senate C'tee Report!

Scilons will have some time for housecleaning between now and when all the gov't ducks are in a row, defining criteria and procedures by which 'public benefit' tests will apply. Then there will be appeals, conflicting reports, etc.
    It is plausible that after this process is concluded (I imagine it will take about two years), there will still be some kind of nominal presence of something by the name of "Church of Scientology" limping along tax-free in Australia. However, it will be hamstrung by new regulations, and even more shriveled from the continued, intensified bright light of public scrutiny.

This is an acceptable outcome, consistent with Chanology's goal of dismantling Scientology in its present form. Of course, seeing them utterly booted off the continent would be even better.
  2. iaxiloll Member

Trufax !
  3. Anonymous Member

Scientologists shouldn't be allowed to live in Australia?
  4. Triumph Member

5. xenubarb Member

Getting this far is a winlet. In spanish it would be a winito.
  6. Anonymous Member

And I am a pedant ;-)
  7. Anonymous Member

They may be able to shortcut a lot of the consultative process, because they have had something like four significant consultation exercises (including this Senate enquiry) on the area in the last decade; and the recommendation is to follow 'established best practice' per NZ and UK. Of course, as will any bill, it will have to go through parliamentary subcommittee stages with the inherent opportunity for submissions, but as the report states, the non-profit sector is tired of consultation, they want action on the consultation already done.
  8. Anonymous Member

9. Anonymous Member

While the war is not yet won, this was an epic battle victory, and I'll celebrate it as win even if some of you posters keep saying it's not win until the cult is paying taxes.

People thought Xenophon would never get this done. He delivered bigtime. Yes, there is work to be done by the OZ gov't to put this into law, but as others have noted ITT, the heavy lifting is done. The recent political results created the most favorable environment possible to see the Senate Committee's recommendations become law. Remember when Xenophon went more than once to the floor to introduce legislation and got nowhere? Remember how much that sucked donkey balls? Now look where we are. Win hits you smack in the face and you can't appreciate it.

Thanks for the reminders to finish the fight also. It's a pretty fucking annoying thing to do, as if we would all just go home after this. Of course there is more to do, and we are not done yet. That should go without saying, but apparently some of you feel the need to point it out. Well done.

The decision in the Headley cases was a kick in the fucking balls. Sparrow's situation is another kick in the fucking balls. My balls have been hurting for a while now.

They hurt much less after this WIN. If you don't take time, a moment even, to celebrate what HAS been won thus far, you'll never make it to the end of the war. Beyond all the implications for the cult in OZ, I NEEDED this one. It is fuel for my soul, fuel for the fire burning inside me to take down this fucking cult.

And it's a damn near perfect reminder that a small group of people committed to the cause can change the world. Literally.

Now, stop shitting on people's joy over a victory that many said would never happen and go do something that will help bring about the next win. And the one after that.

/rant

also inb4 lol u mad

also inb4 ucan't inb4 ur own post
  10. thefatman Member

Say... a case of Johnnie Walker Blue Label King James V Edition at around $800AUD retail a bottle? That would be nice.
  11. DeathHamster Member

They don't use COSRECI in Canada.

At one time they might have had plans to shift Canada operations under COSRECI. but it never happened.
  12. Zhent Member

Only about 100 clams have donated to the Sydney Ideal Org this year, and they must be almost broke from the constant regging this year.

Go Larry!

Oh and hey, this just in: ABC News Breakfast just had a live interview with Senator Annette Hurley - The Chair of the Senate Committee report into the not for profit sector, and they discussed Scientology and the Senate report!

I was fortunate enough to capture this:
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/14822351"]ABC News 24 - Breakfast on Senate Report - 9/9/10 on Vimeo[/ame]

The video processing should finish in a minute.
  13. DeathHamster Member

Looking ahead to eventual epic victory down the road from this win:

[IMG]
  14. thefatman Member

As I understand, there are about 350ish 'active' Scientologists in NSW. That means more than 2/3rds of them aren't KSW. Cyrus can't be happy.
  15. Sponge Member

Charities may have to "open books" to prove they benefit community | The Australian | sept 9th 2010

I think this is the first article to have a response from the cult.....
    Baaww

edit: I added some keyboard mashing in red.
  16. Anonymous Member

hahahaha at scilon BAAAAAAWWWWW

17. TinyDancer Member

The COSRECI thing is different. It is not eligible for tax exemption in Australia.
  18. TinyDancer Member

Hunch: Treasury has draft legislation ready to be released for public consultation - with a little tweaking.
  19. Sponge Member

The video has been "waiting in line to be converted" for hours. Vimeo is hopeless.

Can you megaupload it? Then maybe I or someone else can Youtube it for you if you don't have time to mess about.

edit: Oh it's finished converting but now its contemplating or something.
  20. TinyDancer Member

Re: Today Tonight report on Senate Inquiry release (7/9/2010)

21. Smurf Member

I'm curious whether the legal & legislative system in Oz is similar to the U.S.? Can the cult now sue the Oz government for religious discrimination or some other frivolous excuse claiming they are being unconstitutionally and illegally targeted by the Oz politicians?

Can political decisions be declared null & void by their court judiciary?
  22. TinyDancer Member

23. supafreak Member

Oh I know! "We're sooooo not a cult, bawwwwww!" is all they've got. The good thing is that nobody buys that line anymore.
  24. Zhent Member

(sigh)... yeah Vimeo is fucking me over again

I have pushed the video through again, lets hope it sticks this time.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/14815485"]ABC News 24 - Breakfast on Senate Report - 9/9/10 on Vimeo[/ame]

I will megaupload if this doesn't work.

Edit: Apparently there was a global Vimeo bug for the stalled videos, although mine still isn't working, and top it off the new video has a 3 hour waiting cue! Fail! I've almost had enough of Vimeo's crap.

Edit: MIRACULOUSLY after 10 hours the original video is now working.
  25. Clamosaurus Member

I'll post this link again.
    Church of the New Faith v. Comm'r of Pay-Roll Tax

It's a a full blown tl:dr for most, but if you can do it you will realize that scientology et al in Australia just don't know the facts of the 1983 ruling.

Scientology Inc dodged a bullet (metaphorically) back then.

They love to trot out the final decision, but because they (scientologists) are all about duplicating what is put to them by their masters, they don't even know the actual details and what was stated in the conclusions
  26. Sponge Member

I knew you should have just megauploaded the source if you couldn't just youtube it. I watched the cue counter go down to zero and now it's back up to 1 hour when it says it will start converting [edit: 2 hours now!11!!!]

Edit again: Your first attempt has come live now.

Also, thanks for the source, Zhent. Here's the YouTube version from that...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLm5tttriY[/ame]
  27. Anonymous Member

No, it is not, isn't it obvious to you? Read more.:eek:
  28. Zhent Member

29. Anonymous Member

Number Six approves of her jacket.
    TV_ThePrisonerNumber6.jpg
  30. Random guy Member

31. Sponge Member

She also makes the point that this is something that non-profits actually want (the ones with nothing to hide that is) and would ultimately benefit from (and therefore makes cult baawwing seem all the more ridiculous).
    A Charity Commission is not just there to poke its nose into the affairs of a non-profit but also to advise and educate.

Remember that, considering how huge the non-profit sector is, there wasn't a proportionate outpouring of distain when it came to submissions to the inquiry (and out of some of those submissions, several completely misunderstood the point).
  32. Re: AMAZING Senate C'tee Report!

reddit -> OZ to Probe Finances of Charities, including Scientology [ABC24 video] : worldnews
  33. Sponge Member