Customize

Almighty Plymouth Raid, mid-September (check OP, TBA))

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by Anonnumition, Jul 20, 2008.

?

On which day should we come down upon Plymouth?

September 13th 7 vote(s) 18.9%
September 20th 30 vote(s) 81.1%
  1. Anonnumition Member

Re: Almighty Plymouth Raid, mid-September (check OP, TBA))

It's £30 on an individual basis for a return (over the two days) from Waterloo.

And yes a group booking would offer quite a lot of discounting probably... gonna sit down and look into this all properly this evening.

I do like the minibus idea too, BUT, train might just be easier...
  2. phast.phil Member

if this is gonna have a flavor of democracy, my vote goes to the chuff-chuff, on the grounds of simplicity... no drivers needed, no deposits needed, no funds need setting up. and no worries about numbers of anons turning up... 2 or 200

meet up in London and go
  3. Anonnumition Member

^ that, pretty much.

Much much easier to organise.
    And a fund may need to be set up if we get reservations (like, a carriage)- but that could be silly. I do highly suggest taking advantage of GroupSave if we can (travel in groups of 4= half price).
  4. misskittie Member

Had to hire three coaches in the north for a work event, granted in the cheaper & more attractive north. One lot from Liverpool to Manc; one from Newcastle to Manc and one from Leeds to Manc. All came with a driver, all had to return same day but not one coach cost more than £400 for the day (6am start, back to their depot at 9pm, dropped last one of us off at 8.15pm). I tried the "brand" coaches first, then hit the companies without website...trust me, they are your friends! When you call ask tell them you don't want luxury but something akin to what they would use for a school run, they'll knock a good £1000 off that price immediately. That is assuming London Anons are not planning to travel in 5 star style :D

I'd help more but I live in Yorkshire which is not helpful when planning a trip for Londonfags!
  5. Anonnumition Member

The price was hiked up because I've been assuming this as a weekend trip (due to distance).
    What I'd been telling the companies is we wanted to be picked up from London about 9am, and then picked up again in Plymouth, the next day, at about 5pm.

Looking at it, trains work a load better, people just need to remember to PRE-ORDER tickets, otherwise it'll cost a fortune for over the two days.

And a weekend raid= more win.
  6. SweatyJon Member

I'd be down for this, it seems about time I got my ass back down to Plymouth. Voted the 20th as it'll be freshers week at Uni so there'll be a ton more people around and the Sci's will probably be out looking to recruit starry eyed first years.

If people don't fancy the train I could drive down and take 3 others. Petrol money should be about £20 each.
  7. spud Member

I should be back living in Plymouth by the 20th - If needed I can provide floorspace (or spare double bed space, wink wink nudge nudge) for a couple of anons if they're running short on cash or something. Just try not to scare my new housemates :p
  8. Anonnumition Member

Updated OP.

Need infos on train shiz if anyone has it already... will research in a bit- currently researching for the Brighton trip nao xD Can't do like 3 things at once unfortunately...

spud, if you are sure about that, I can add it to the OP?

I think we will be needing to do some sort of 'register' of who is going so we can organise accomodation and shit... Still need to get it up on Wirah too. Once I've done this other shit I'll think more about some sort of register type thing- there isn't really any other options considering everything will have to be booked in advance (trains will be cheaper booked, and accomodation goes without saying).
  9. spud Member

I'm 95% sure that I'll be moved in by then - I'm hoping to be in within the first week or so of September.
  10. spiral Member

bizarre as it sounds, my mother is completely mad and has offered to drive me + three anons (unless someone/anyone in brave/bonkers enough to travel in the boot. its a big boot. with much dog hair) from east midlands area - or pickup on the way - to plymouth. seriously. she's gone slightly bonkers (and was most offended at laughing in london thread :p)

on the understanding that we would be paying for the petrol between us. and we can sleep in the car if we can work out how to put the back seat down. unfortunately the car only does 30 miles to the gallon... (i'll let someone else do the maths)

(i put down for the 13th, but can really do either. but i can only do one protest in a month, not two... so i'd be skipping london anyway)
  11. Anonnumition Member

Right, will add those both to OP then xD.
  12. phast.phil Member

13. Anonnumition Member

Yeah, give me a chance xD

Updated OP again. Added SJ's offer thar too...
  14. phast.phil Member

and a genuine round of applause and a large caek for Anonnumition for successfully doing the herding cats routine that is the difficult task of organising Anonymous...

...so far :)
  15. Anonnumition Member

I'm predicting there will be bald patches within the next two weeks... don't worry.

Though I did say I wouldn't be organising this one ¬_¬
    WTF HAPPENED TO THAT?

ITT: I prove to myself I am indeed a bit of a control freak.
  16. phast.phil Member

there's a train from Paddington at 9.06 am that pulls into Plymouth at 12.24 with no changes...

my sameday return is £26
  17. Anonnumition Member

wooooah. Was literally just about to post that- you can see since I just editted the OP ;)

Great minds [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] check the sites at the same time.

And ja- I hadn't checked what the changes actually were ^^; turned out it was just a tube journey- so that doesn't count.

Edit: editted OP again with suggested travel details for Londanons.

20th Sept: Depart Paddington at 09:06, arrive in Plymouth at 12:24.
    21st Sept: Depart Plymouth at 18:31, arrive in Paddington at 22:13.
  18. Anon-ymous Member

OK, has anyone actually been to Plymouth before, or can a Plymfag answer - what do we do for getting around Plymouth and how much does that cost?
  19. Anonnumition Member

mmyeah, I would like to know that too, will probably be on the IRC later tonight...

Train fares are looking to be £26 each from Paddington station on a return, BUT YOU MUST PRE-BOOK. Train times suggested in OP.
    Though, that is not including offers such a GroupSave and if you have railcards and shiz.
    (The maximum amount of tickets it will let me order in one go would be 8 returns for £208.00= £26 each- and every other combination decides on £26 each. So I still don't know about big group bookings... it keeps saying to call a number- but cba and it's probably not open anymore at this time, will just be easier to get tickets individually as long as you pre-order).

I are updating OP accordingly ofc.
  20. spud Member

21. Anon-ymous Member

OK, thats good to know. Just didn't want everyone to turn up and find the org is 9001 miles from the station or something :p
  22. SweatyJon Member

Yeah Plymouth city centre is tiny, you can get anywhere in about 20mins walk.

May be worth checking where that youth hostel is though - I don't remember there being any in the town centre so it might be out in Mutley or Plymstock or something - that would probably require a bus.

EDIT: Also can I suggest that once we've got a decent number of confirmed people we go as covert as possible with the planning of this? This might be a good opportunity to try out some experimental protesting tech.
  23. Anonnumition Member

Danke, spud. I just checked out distance from the youth hostel as well- also, walking distance (I'd say it's about 20 mins walk, max).

I'm gonna stick with the youth hostel since it seems the cheapest and simplest- still reading through shiz and comparing it with hotels and stuff...
    <SNIP>

Edit: <SNIP>

Edit 2: <SNIP>
  24. Re: Almighty Plymouth Raid, mid-September (check OP, TBA))

I shall be doing an overnighter, regardless of date (thought I do hope it's the 20th). I'll have to check and see what kind of hotels are about, as I've never been to Plymouth before.

EDIT: methinks I will make reservations at the Copthorne - it looks nice and convenient.
  25. SweatyJon Member

Yeah I know where that is. Might be worth editing it out though, in case they get a courtesy call from OSA.
  26. Anonnumition Member

Ya, plus, disregard, cocks, wrong one anyway ^^;

I was too tired when I was doing this last night... obviously.

Edit: Have contacted one via email, quoting that we will have approximately 30 people -winces-
  27. anonymous1312 Member

Looking forward to meeting you all. :)
  28. Re: Almighty Plymouth Raid, mid-September (check OP, TBA))

Yeah, if it's helpful I can get a return ticket for the train, although an Anonybus ride would be just too awesome ;___;

Obviously the only thing is accomodation but you're all doing a good job of lurking/offering floor space, so will keep an eye on that but I'll happily get the train if anyone else wants to join so I'm not bored for 4 hours ;)
  29. Anonnumition Member

Basically- unless you can get a lift, you're taking the train. There is no coach/ bus. End of.

And accomodation- well 'details' of offers are in OP, but it looks to me we'll be doing the youth hostel. I'm hoping they'll get back to me quick enough tomorrow so I can hurry up sorting out the details finally before passing it onto Wirah.
  30. phast.phil Member

can i suggest an 'internal' flier for Anonymous, giving details of this raid that we can pass out to other Anons on the mini-raids and the the big monthly protests to try to get as many as possible on this raid.

also, what's the [ongoing] situation re the PlymPlod and masks/section 60?
    (looks for a face painter to do a replica 'v' mask straight onto the skin)

egad! this raid has me looking forward to the autumn!
  31. spiral Member

i'd just like to point out that spiral is in fact a she wtf is it that everyone always thinks i'm a guy?? :p
  32. Anonnumition Member

@phast.phil: I'm putting final details together before passing onto Wirah- will be needing to negotiate with him on how funds can be set up as for one the youth hostel seems like it'll be wanting payment beforehand.
    Issue with the youth hostel however: Maximum for a group booking= 30.

What I will attempt with Wirah is have a fund set up alike with the V for Vendetta thing- first come first served, but there will hopefully be about 2 weeks warning before that opens so people can get the money together.
    Then those who don't get onto that will have to acquire details from me for the youth hostel and will have to attempt getting rooms independently.
    Otherwise- try other accomodation.

Then I'm thinking mainstream lot (which will be using suggested train times and suggested hostel) will be split into groups of four/ eight so train tickets can be ordered as such and rooms can be arranged, as such.

So don't think I'm just sitting here with the belief that stuff will happen ;)
    I am thinking shiz through and am currently awaiting feedback from the youth hostel as I fed them a query via email last night... will call tomorrow if still nothing back by then. Getting shit done, just eventually, basically.

@spiral: Because there are no girls on the internet.
  33. basil Member

Pics or it didn't happen...
  34. phast.phil Member

ZOMG we're one 'post tits' comment aaway from becoming a chan!
    Don't let it happen!!!!
  35. Anonnumition Member

facepalm.jpg
  36. SweatyJon Member

beardpalm.jpg

beardpalmdx9.jpg
  37. ScudMuffin Member

Wrong

I have done coaches to plym before, Megabus will do £13 - £22 return london - plym. bare in mind that if you go on megabus to plym you will have to go via london regardless of where you travel from, pretty much. And it takes about 5.5 hours. If you want to cut cost though it's mint.

My advice is to go down on the Friday (5pm departure) come back on the Sunday (7:30am departure), get in hostel accomm for both nights (about ten minutes walk from the town centre, 15 if your drunk). £39 for the weekend.
  38. Anon1990.572 Member

At the moment, we're in the process of getting hold of the Section 60 order that forced us to remove masks to find out exactly why we had to. We were allowed bandannas last time after one of the Anons challenged it with the beat officer and the duty sergeant.

Once we get the Section 60 order back we're intending to use it to file a complaint against Devon and Cornwall police (possibly through the IPCC) to secure our right to wear masks in future since we reasonably believe that it was an unlawful implementation given the nature of previous protests - and the fact we were magically allowed to keep bandannas when it was challenged.
  39. phast.phil Member

*SIGH* Yes we know there is a bus option, and no-one is making you use any particular form of transport.
    Anonnumition has left out details of buses/coaches/private jets/any other form of transport to make it simpler and to set up a situation whereby a shitload of us are all on the same train at the same tiem for epic win.

the idea is... get to Paddington to catch the 9.06, 3 hours 20 mins later begin enturbulating the Plym scilons

akshully, TL;DR - read thread
  40. Anonnumition Member

@ScudMuffin: That was meant figuratively in that I looked at it, and it's cheaper to go by train than by coach, as was our original plan ;) Also, less hassle and namefagging.

Though the MegaBus thing is worth a ponder- BUT- Personally, I can't do Friday due to college ;)
    Will ponder upon that. Not in an organisey mood at this very moment though. In a more "this is just a break from the Wii" mood.