Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

1. anonLX62 Member

you ever notice Scientology there no women standing around when they are recording or talking with you all?

you think they maybe closet case gay (draw back to the 50s - 60s) or I'm i wrong that the greys I'm thinking of?
  2. anonLX62 Member

is it still alive? I was about to put the whole darn thing on the hook dump it over broad to catch me a big white guppy
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Going Clear’ dates at Sundance

We already announced that we plan on being at the premiere showing of Alex Gibney’s HBO-produced film about Scientology, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, which will take place at 2:30 pm on Sunday, January 25 at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.

We now have the rest of the film’s schedule at the festival and a few more details. Here are the showings.

Sunday, January 25, 2:30 pm, The MARC, Park City
    Monday, January 26, 9:30 pm, Redstone Cinema 1, Park City
    Saturday, January 31, 6 pm, Temple Theatre, Park City
    Sunday, Febraury 1, 6:30 pm, Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, Salt Lake City

And here’s the film’s description, submitted by the producers:

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/16/sc...k-garcia-judge-keep-mike-rinder-away-from-us/
    • Like Like x 5
  4. RightOn Member

Oh this is making me tingle all over! :cool:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. fishypants Moderator

LOL "terrorists".
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 9
  7. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 4
  8. anon8109 Member

Director Alex Gibney

Alex-Gibney.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  9. RightOn Member

oh hai Alex!
    You sexy man beast you.
    Kudos for taking on this MOST NEEDED movie and good luck to you all!
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Kilia Member

He DOES look sexy, doesn't he? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ogsonofgroo Member

run, teh, fuck. away.
  12. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/29/on...ch-hbo-a-lesson-for-its-upcoming-documentary/

One Scientologist is out to teach HBO a lesson for its upcoming documentary

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]
  14. RightOn Member

So in the "rumored to appear in this movie" list
    Chaka Khan is listed. Is she out? Or praising the COS?
    It can't be that she is praising! I doubt it would be in the film.
    This is SO EXCITING!! (if true)
    Come on Chaka, "Tell Me Something Good"
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RightOn Member

Myles Binford is an OTVIII, And it only took him SIXTEEN YEARS
    Pity he can't do anything to postulate this movie away. The only thing in his power is boycotting HBO?
    No power over MEST or HBO!!!!
    He's been on the Freewinds 4 times! How's yer lungs Myles?
    BWA HA HA

Myles Binford OVERCOMING UPS AND DOWNS IN LIFE COURSE Celebrity 290 1996-02-01
    Myles Binford INTRODUCTORY AUDITING Celebrity 290 1996-02-01
    Myles Binford TRS AND OBJECTIVES CO-AUDIT Celebrity 294 1996-06-01
    Myles Binford OT DEBUG SERVICE Freewinds 34 1999-09-01
    Myles Binford ROUTE TO INFINITY COURSE Freewinds 41 2001-01-01
    Myles Binford NEW HUBBARD SOLO AUDITOR COURSE, PART ONE Source 133 2001-03-01
    Myles Binford OT ELIGIBILITY Advance 153 2001-05-01
    Myles Binford OT II Advance 154 2001-07-01
    Myles Binford COMMAND OF THETA COURSE Freewinds 43 2001-07-01
    Myles Binford OT III Advance 155 2001-09-01
    Myles Binford SECRETS OF THE MEST UNIVERSE COURSE Freewinds 44 2001-10-01
    Myles Binford OT IV Advance 160 2002-10-01
    Myles Binford OT V Advance 161 2002-11-01
    Myles Binford HUBBARD PROFESSIONAL UPPER INDOC TR COURSE Purpose 364 2003-03-01
    Myles Binford NEW OT VI HUBBARD SOLO NOTS AUDITOR COURSE Source 147 2003-06-01
    Myles Binford LONDON CONGRESS ON DISSEMINATION & HELP COURSE Freewinds 64 2006-09-01
    Myles Binford NEW OT VII Source 212 2010-12-01
    Myles Binford NEW OT VIII Freewinds 89 2012-04-01
    • Like Like x 4
  16. BigBeard Member

Somehow, I don't think HBO would even notice the blip if every $cientologist in the US unsubscribed.

Actually, thinking about it, what $cientologist even has the money to pay for HBO?

Tweeeet!! Hey, Regges, start checking them HBO subscription lists to see who's got extra cash they're not giving to the Cof$!!!

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 4
  17. RightOn Member

hey Myles! since when is exposing the crimes and abuses of a multi million dollar corporation considered bigotry?
    Those damn psyches!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Myles Binford appears to have hidden or deleted the Tweets in question. A visit to his Twitter profile and a scroll through to the dates in question reveals that they are no longer viewable.

https://twitter.com/mylesbinford
  19. RightOn Member

Myles the OTVIII - no power over MEST, HBO or TWITTER!
    16 years to get to OTVIII to find out your powers aren't worth squat! Money well spent Myles!
    Supah Powah next? You might as well. What do you have to lose?
    • Like Like x 3
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Happy New Year 2015 — now the real Scientology countdown begins! | The Underground Bunker

And so 2015 begins here in the Underground Bunker. We want to thank our great commenter community for a wild build-up to this moment. And now, we’d like to take a moment to celebrate what we think is going to be a really exciting month of January.

The big event, of course, will take place in Utah on January 25. We’re starting a countdown to that big day when Alex Gibney’s HBO documentary, Going Clear: Scientology & the Prison of Faith, opens at the Sundance Film Festival.

We’ll be at the premiere, along with several of the people who appear in the film. Of course we’ll be providing detailed dispatches of the event only for Bunker readers. We’ll do our best to make you feel like you’re right there for the festivities.

And that’s not all happening this month. We have to remain tight-lipped for now, but we think you’re really going to enjoy the ride. Later this year, we’ll hit 20 years since we started writing about L. Ron Hubbard’s wacky cabal, and we think this is going to be the best year yet watching Scientology from a front row seat.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/01/happy-new-year-2015-now-the-real-scientology-countdown-begins/
    • Like Like x 6
  21. Tony O is an idiot. While I appreciate reading his articles I cannot help but point out that he just outed.... dox removed...TheHoleDoesNotExist when he made reference to the Lawrence Wright book, specifically pages ....Dox.... having had lunch with Quentin, exactly as Tony described it in his article today. I have the book and by following Tony’s clues I was able to figure it out. Either Tony doesn’t give a hoot about this sources or he wasn’t sober when he wrote the article. Now he told the scilons who THDNE is.
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/01/a-...special-report-my-lunch-with-quentin-hubbard/ - more-18896
    Tony0wtf
    This message by Tony0wtf has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  22. They already knew since last year.
  23. edit to add: I was just getting ready for bed when I stumbled on this comment. I should have made it clear that Tony, as always, is very careful and discreet and asked me exactly what I wanted to be titled and known as for the article, and I told him TheHoleDoesNotExist. So the comment made was off the wall. Hope that clears it up.
  24. Thanks for your well written and interesting account of your lunch with Quentin. It was nice to hear how pleased he was with his flight.

Do you have any thoughts on why his license plates and clothes were removed?
  25. TinyDancer Member

It's a fascinating story, THDNE. Thanks for it. So very sad for Quentin.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. jensting Member

(You've just been trolled)

Anyway... Thanks a lot for writing that article.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

HBO airing its Scientology documentary, ‘Going Clear’ on March 16 | The Underground Bunker

Your proprietor will be at the world premiere of Alex Gibney’s documentary on Scientology, Going Clear, at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, but you won’t have to wait very long to see the film for yourself. At a winter TV critics meeting, HBO revealed that it will be airing its documentary on the television network on Monday, March 16.

Gibney is maybe the best documentary filmmaker working today, and we know that HBO is expecting a lot of this two-hour movie. Gibney’s production company is being pretty tight-lipped about the contents of the documentary, saying only that it is partly based on Lawrence Wright’s 2013 book of the same name and that it portrays eight former members of the church.

We have some ideas about what’s going to be in the movie, but we have only a little more than two weeks to wait to see the full feature and we’ll fill you in then.

If you’re planning to set up watching parties for March 16 let us know in the comments!

Source: http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/09/hbo-airing-its-scientology-documentary-going-clear-on-march-16/
    • Like Like x 6
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Alex Gibney Scientology Doc Gets International Sales Agent | The Hollywood Reporter

Content Media has acquired international sales rights to Oscar-winner Alex Gibney’s Scientology documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.

<snipped>

Content describes Going Clear as “a provocative tale of ego, exploitation and lust for power,” in which those interviewed “describe the systematic history of abuse and betrayal by Church officials. including the current leadership.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alex-gibney-scientology-doc-gets-763999
    • Like Like x 8
  30. Incredulicide Member

This is our opportunity to suggest this documentary to our local/national TV stations around the world, and link to the above news that the rights have just become available when doing so, hinting that this doco is likely to win awards so GET IN EARLY!

Hopefully if enough of us do this some stations will get multiple requests and we'll create a sense of "viewer demand" for it.
    • Like Like x 3
  31. RightOn Member

I like the way you think

AND DON"T FORGET SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES!!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Documentary Draws Ire From the Church of Scientology | New York Times

If controversy sells, HBO may have suddenly have a hit in Alex Gibney’s new documentary about Scientology and renegades who left it behind.

On Friday, the Church of Scientology is expected to strike out at the movie — which its members and leaders have not yet seen — with full-page newspaper advertisements in The New York Times and elsewhere detailing what it says are journalistic lapses by Mr. Gibney.

In a pointed reference to a much-challenged magazine article about a campus rape at the University of Virginia, the ads ask whether the movie, called “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” is “a Rolling Stone/UVA Redux.” The film is based on a book written by Lawrence Wright, who is a producer of the documentary.

The critique guarantees a combustible debut for a movie that is scheduled to make its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 25, and will screen in a small number of theaters before reaching a wide audience on HBO, beginning on March 16.

The church’s forceful response risks calling attention to what might have seemed like old news. Scientology has already been closely investigated by Mr. Wright and others.

Continued here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/b...draws-ire-from-the-church-of-scientology.html

Scientology takes out full-page ad in the New York Times to attack Alex Gibney | The Underground Bunker

This is a fun one: New York Times staffer Michael Cieply reporting on an ad in his own newspaper.

Cieply reports that the Church of Scientology has taken out a full page ad in the Times to slam Alex Gibney, whose documentary about Scientology, Going Clear, premieres at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25.

You just knew Scientology was going to make this fun, didn’t you?

As soon as we have the ad itself, we’ll add it to this piece, but here’s what Cieply says about it:

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/15/sc...-in-the-new-york-times-to-attack-alex-gibney/
    • Like Like x 5
  33. Anonymous Member

I continue to laugh five minutes after reading Tony's article! Hilarious! Fun Fun Fun!
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Sekee Member

It’s very public spirited of them to help with the advertising.
    • Like Like x 3
  35. Ersatz Global Moderator

36. The Wrong Guy Member

UPDATE: By the way, when 900 authors took out a full-page ad in the Times in August to decry the practices of Amazon against their publisher, Hachette Books, the newspaper also ran a story about that controversy, and revealed that the authors had paid $104,000 for their full-page screed. Now, that was a Sunday, which might cost a little more, who knows. But it gives us some ballpark for what Scientology paid (and we hope the Times was savvy enough to jack up the rates when they saw moneybags Miscavige coming through the door). We have a feeling additional copies of the ad will show up in USA Today and elsewhere, and we wouldn’t be surprised if Scientology ends up paying more than a million for this salvo at Gibney. What’s money when you have whales like Bob Duggan to foot the bill?

UPDATE: And here’s the ad, on page A11 of this morning’s New York Times.

Here’s what it says:

Is Alex Gibney’s Upcoming HBO “Documentary” a Rolling Stone/UVA Redux?

Rolling Stone has been widely criticized for not checking the facts on its recent reporting on the University of Virginia. National Public Radio reported, “…[T]he editor [of Rolling Stone] now admits the magazine never confirmed several details central to the story.”

Now HBO is planning to air a documentary about the Church of Scientology, and like Rolling Stone, HBO is not confirming facts central to its film. Yogi Berra would say, “It’s like deja vu all over again.”

Twelve times Alex Gibney and HBO have refused the Church’s requests for questions, assertions and statements about Scientology that will be included in the film so that we can comment on the “facts.”

Mr. Gibney and HBO documentary chief Sheila Nevins have rejected multiple requests to meet with executives of the Church, including those with individual firsthand information.

Mr. Gibney confirmed that the foundation for his film is a book by Lawrence Wright. As he stated with respect to an earlier project, “I trusted Larry [Wright]. I wasn’t looking for holes in his story.” In fact, a little homework and due diligence on this project would have revealed the following holes:

— Primary sources for the Wright book have not had any involvement with or firsthand knowledge of the Church for approximately 10 to 30 years.

— The book’s sources include individuals who admitted committing and suborning perjury and obstructing justice; are known associates of a cyber-terrorism hacking group; and in recent deposition testimony admitted to lying under penalty of perjury and have admitted lying to the media. Two of the sources made a claim in a lawsuit that was so outlandish it was not only thrown out of a federal court, but so frivolous the couple was ordered to pay $40,000 in costs to the Church.

— The book’s sources also include individuals who left the Church after admitting to such things as malfeasance that cost the Church significant amounts of money; violent outbursts; and initiating sexual relationships with those they were purportedly counseling in the role of Church minister.

— Not only is the credibility of these sources utterly lacking, each one was expelled from Scientology for malfeasance, lying, and conduct unbecoming a Church member.

Given those facts, the Church asked Mr. Gibney to share statements and allegations being made about it and its leadership so the Church could comment on their accuracy — or lack thereof — as well as provide evidence to support what it was saying. Mr. Gibney refused.

Mr. Gibney’s film has been in the works in secret for two years. He and HBO never bothered to tell the Church it was even being made until recently.

Hasnt’t Mr. Gibney or Ms. Nevins learned anything from what occurred with Rolling Stone’s University of Virginia reporting?

As Edward Kosner wrote in the Wall Street Journal, reflecting on the Rolling Stone controversy, “Desperate times call for disciplined journalism.”

We couldn’t agree more.

The Church of Scientology is committed to free speech. However, free speech is not a free pass to broadcast or publish false information. We have all seen what happens when facts are not checked or those being reported on are not given a chance to respond. The Church is taking a resolute stand against such actions — both on its own behalf and for others who either cannot or will not do so.

FreedomMag.org/HBO

Presented as a Public Service by the Church of Scientology International — made possible by members of the Church of Scientology.

And here’s a look at part of the web page they’ve set up about Gibney at Freedom magazine’s site.

There's more here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/15/sc...-in-the-new-york-times-to-attack-alex-gibney/
    • Like Like x 3
  37. Budd Member

What, no "Comments" for the public response?
    I wanted to ask "Isn't this the same church that practices forced abortions, one billion-year work contracts, belief in science fiction gods, ...." and any number of other interesting ways of life.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 3
  39. RightOn Member

Their tears are delicious
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Mr. Magoo Member

• Like Like x 4