Customize

Adding subtitles to video

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Crappy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Crappy Member

Adding subtitles to video

I'm trying to add English subtitles to a TV recording I made.

I got it all set up with Adobe Encore CS4, but I can't export WITH subtitles. I just get the video (mp4 format).

Is there anyone here who has experience with adding subtitles to video? Does anyone know of a different program to do it with?
  2. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

Re: Adding subtitles to video

Most video editing programs have subtitle options. Even Windows Movie Maker.
  3. AnonTani Member

I don't think encore knows how to render the subtitles on video, it's just makes a DVD/BluRay friendly file, as it is a physical media authoring tool.

I'd user After Effects (for anything video related, actually, even editing).
    Here's a sample project to get you going, it's quite easy and it gives you complete control over your titles. The end result is rendered on the video itself:
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

If it isn't too long, and if you have the titles in a text format ready to go I can do this for you, but... teach a man to fish... :)
  4. WagTheWog Member

You could add the subtitles on YouTube. It has that feature.
  5. Crappy Member

Youtube isn't my biggest friend at the moment due to their 10 minute video limit. I'm using Vimeo.

I'll check that project out, AnonTani, thanks!

EDIT: So I've got this pretty text file I exported from Encore. Can't I use that to import the subs into After Effects? It would save me another hour.
  6. AnonTani Member

I'm afraid not, AE does not support subtitles per se, you create them by animating two properties of a text element (source and transparency).

If you have a file ready, try to find a tool that merges them with the video:
    Google

...Or try Premiere, it should be able to pull it off, it's from the same software family.
  7. Crappy Member

I found a script somewhere, it worked perfectly, AE is rendering the video file now.

Thanks for all your help!

Others who might need this:
    Import Encore Subtitle Text File into After Effects (you can choose how much you pay for it)
  8. AnonTani Member

That's brilliant, thanks!
    Sorry if I mislead you for a moment there :)
  9. Crappy Member

Haha, that's no problem. Another question: how the frig do I render the movie WITH audio? I can't get it to work.
  10. AnonTani Member

Had the same troubles :)
    "Composition" -> "Make movie"
    Click on "lossless" in the render job, choose a format and compression and simply tick "Audio Output" in the bottom.

Here's a screenshot:
    32943114.png

Click "Ok" then "Render", but that part you know :)