Customize

Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by cubby, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Add YSOSRS back into 'Most Recent Threads'?

Yes 68 vote(s) 57.1%
No 51 vote(s) 42.9%
  1. EpicSockGuy Member

Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

where the fuck do you get "most" from? Your ass?
  2. sue Administrator

Then go code it please, ooh and will you also buy the ram, the hard drives that will sustain the increase in requests ? Because well since you would code such a module in a hearthbeat you have to have the insight that it will put a strain on the current hardware this forum is beeing run on. RIGHT ?
  3. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

WHY ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS?
  4. sue Administrator

Besides you socking this thread there is barely anyone posting. There are currently > 400 users online, they don't seem to care, they seem to be outnumbering you and your socks (aka most).
  5. TheBitch Member

I'll betcha a bunch of those people found winding up in YSOSRS who didn't post but came to find they'd been trolled to think Tommy Davis was found dead had a VARIETY of emotional responses, many of which were lulzy. Just because they weren't moved to post, or felt inhibited by not knowing netspeak, or for WHATEVER reason, doesn't mean it's not worthy.

What you're doing is saying "sense of humor is so relative to local culture as to make lulz online not only largely unobtainable, but also so as to make them unimportant of equal consideration to Cause." Last I checked this wasn't the Army, and a lot of the reason many people can tolerate being here amidst such a heavy subject day on day is that there's pranks and humor mixed in.

I bet you didn't find the "Warning Headless Zombies Ahead, The End is Near, RunnnnnnNN!" signs in Dallas funny or "worth anything" either.

It seems to me you're making a lot of assumptions about the "worth" of something that you intentionally tried to downplay as being irrelevant because its stats are down. You imply this thread represents the number of people who would find utility / lulz / fun in YSOSRS if it went back where it should to give it a shot at generating traffic and a fanbase.

It was there for a purpose, and you want to limit that purpose. Why not just freaking admit it as an individual rather than trying to justify yourself by assuming authority for people who aren't speaking?
  6. sue Administrator

You should consider a career as consultant for yahoo or google. They would pay millions for your insight. Can you mathematicly prove me how adding a conditional is not going to require more processing than it already is.
  7. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

it must suck to be a mod sometimes

and if that puts me firmly on both sides of this issue then so be it

personally I don't give a shit about the sub-forum

FFS people

lets argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
  8. EpicSockGuy Member

There are more people reading this thread(6 ppl) than are viewing
    -Freedom of Expression (1 person)
    -How To (2 people)
    -Post Game Reports (0 people)
    -International Discussion (4 people)
    -Education, Research and Inside Reports (3 people)

should they be removed from the box? obviously no one cares about them
  9. sue Administrator

wrong i actually found that an hillarious prank and would encourage those sorts of pranks if the audience was different (not so much fail ** ) as i was going to point out using cinematic footage a little earlier, i could not because of lack of said footage. (scenes that came to mind from the movie fightclub were the ones with: the smilley office building (epic troll), and the scene after edward norton came in the abandonned house trying to call project mayhem cells (notice the lack of trolling in the second scene??))

so much for jumping to the wrong conclusions.

quit beeing bipolar, either be an hate machine or be the cute crying kitten, a "dome" wouldn't be here demanding democracy, it would take it. YSOSRS not showing up in cyb-stats reflects the current state, a crippled dome with repetitive and meaningless content that didn't change nor affect anything. It is out of the peoples direct sight because you are the very embarassment.

*edit* ** inb4 bawwww we aren't the fail, we are here to cure the fail.
    You are the most pathetic excuse of an insurgent i ever have seen, words words words. put fucking action where your mouths are. Startle us for a change.
  10. TheBitch Member

Well, at least you're speaking for you and not the undead registered on the Chicago voter rolls.
  11. TinyDancer Member

Yeah, the problem - from my perspective - wasn't the occasional, lulzy troll thread, but when the number of not very funny troll threads dominated the "most recent threads" list. Lots of them weren't worth the time and effort to click on and out of and their appearance meant other more interesting threads weren't highlighted.

I know where to find YSOSRS and the Dome when I want to.
  12. Shinythings Member

guise don't be such lulzkillers. please put the forum back on the recent threads thingy
  13. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

The lesson in whole is that MODS=FAGS
  14. EpicSockGuy Member

fixd
  15. Your Mom Member

Well, my personal reason for liking it listed was that it made it far easier for me to watch threads as they happen, to make sure the humor was suitable for upstairs vs TD. Other than that, it isn't a huge issue for me in any case.

I just liked it because it made my job easier.

Although the past few days have been pretty iffy on whether I even get connected to the internet or not. Harder to do a job when I can't get online...lol
  16. Your Mom Member

Probably ought to just assume it isn't possible at this time unless you're really good with coding and have something to offer.
  17. azonymous Member

Not to derail this great thread or anything, but I'd just like to say

THANK YOU

to whoever got WWP back up yesterday, I'm sure it was a lot of work, and I really appreciate it!

(didn't see a thank you thread anywhere else...)

OK, as you were
  18. sue Administrator

I hate to repeat myself but hey : GO FOR IT, if its that easy argue less and just do it.
  19. EpicSockGuy Member

bullshit

Use the way you add/remove subforums and make that so everyone can do that (an option in the user CP)
    Have all subforums report recent posts
    Have the box use the users settings to decide what threads to put in the box

doesn't sound that complicated

are you implying the the BRAND NEW SERVER is a piece of shit?

everyone is already making requests for that information every time they load the main page dumbass

that's a perfect reason to make the box customizable

my programing skills are as insignificant as the load this will put on Boxxy

NO U
  20. sue Administrator

I merged your posts just to show you personally how incoherent you are.
    As pointed out before nobody else cares.

now please go tell the vbulletin mod community how they suck at life etc.
  21. Tenebrous Member

I could argue with you about how many meaninful discussions go on now, but that wouldn't really get us anywhere. I respect the fact that moderators have to police the website and that to let unchecked trolling in the whole of the forum is to invite disaster, but this request really isn't about that, honestly. It's a self contained forum that would have posts leaked onto the recent posts list. If someone thread spams/bombs/whatever give them a kick in the ass.

*shrugs* Simply a difference of opinion. I'd rather read something that put a smile on my face than read something that I find intellectually revolting. I worry sometimes that this movement is getting to be filled by a crowd who really would, one on one, lose a debate to a scientologist over serious issues. I think that not keeping the tinfoil quackery in check actually lowers the overall IQ in this forum. A little strife and competition breeds a better animal, imo.

Well, honestly points to you on this. The trolling now isn't always funny. A lot of it is thread spamming nonsense. Excellence has never been the norm in any situation that I've encountered in life. As far as reading through garbage, well you're a janitor and that's your job. If you started to shitcan "tinfoil" posts you know, I think, that you'd open a new can of worms so it's kind of a nonpoint to make.

Sometimes. My future isn't staked into chanology, but I have an interest in the activities or I'd frankly just go read a book. Just as nothing is completely serious, nothing's completely lulz either.

Well thank god for that one. I hate to imagine anyone dressed up like the SS Pirate Kaptin Gay Fawkes.

I don't think you did really, but neither arguing or gaining admirerers is my intent. I'm just posting on a subject and voicing my opinion on the direction that this site is going in. If you agree, great. I think a few changes could make things more enjoyable for everyone. If you disagree? Well, sorry that we can't reach an amicable compromise.
  22. nonnonanon Member

I've not been posting in this thread because, frankly, there's too much OMG DRAMA ITT for me to want to get involved. Sue, you are sounding like you need a hug, a beer and/or a bit of R&R - you sound stressed, whether you actually are or not. I understand the last couple of days must've been fairly insane for admins, and respect to you for it, but I'm not going to pick a fight with a pissed-off admin :)

Personally I don't have a problem with YSOSRS showing in 'most recent threads'. True, the recent collection of 'IMPROBABLE MASSIVE WIN' thread titles there kind of lost its amusement value after a while, but it never got to the point of actually bothering me. Anyhow... I don't have the time or interest to take on the implementation that's being described here.

23. sue Administrator

YSOSRS was an amicable compromise between the dome and upstair mods. Demanding more than what is is now is imho cancelling the amicable compromise part.

Thank you for having a civilised discussion with me eventhough we differ opinions, i will however leave it at that, we evidently differ opinions.

I would like to answer to this tho :

Neither is my future, but id like the future of chanology to be glorious, even its inevitable failure. This community parade is however nothing like what i envisioned a year ago, and to be frank this travesty is hearth breaking.

So i guess we share interests but differ in points of view on how to continue.
  24. cowboyanon2 Member

a mod.. finds the forum unpleasant to read... thats interesting..

i find the forum very enjoyable.. as a balancing act, I could see the need to add some humor.. but I am new and its not a huge deal either way..
  25. ARC Member

I would like to have YSOSRS in the recent threads list.
    If I were a regular user I might be annoyed that interesting threads were pushed out by shitty ones, but that would regulate itself by limiting satirical news. Even top very serious blogs post satirical news sometimes. We could make a rule: If you write satire in YSOSRS, make it good or it'll be domed.

Just a title and "made you look" -> dome and infraction.

That's one way of dealing with it. Another way:

Those who want the YSOSRS conditional, please write that code which would make it possible to choose, and put a little bit of caching in it so the computation time drain isn't so bad.
  26. cubby Member

true, but even if we can't agree on what humor is, i think we all know the main reason humor works is the element of surprise

not at all... i report posts often myself.

you know i don't feel particularly victimized by the moderation hereabouts.)

i've begun to think fail is actually the strength of this movement. i'm not a channer, i'm not even a troll... but i like to laugh and i think laughter is the other strength here.

good point... i don't think lack of activity or caring is a good reason to remove it, but i don't think that's the real reason anyway...

i'm sure you get tired of getting twenty people reporting the same post, and responding to them all is no doubt time-consuming... i personally wouldn't respond to every little cry, though.

i wonder if the reason might have to do with PR -- now that more eyes are on us, is it possible that removing it from the scroll might be a form of damage control? i notice you can't even see the YSOSRS forum unless you log in.

oh whoops... should have kept reading =)

....what are you asking for here, exactly? that instead of asking about changes to the site and occasionally questioning whether they're warranted, we should gorespam and hack mod accounts? help me out here.

that's the thing is, i thought part of the 'deal' sue keeps mentioning was that people wouldn't know they had found it until they were already in it, from time to time, to help bring some lightheartedness to the too-srs too-tinfoil upstairs.

someone go bump that thread where this epic agreement was reached between even less people than voted on this thread... i cba to find it.

lol actually.. this is another reason i miss it, and part of why you may be seeing less activity there.

obviously, yes. whole-heartedly. i was so forlorn on friday =(

it's changed a lot... i'm content to make the best of what it's evolved into, and have taken on more responsibilities now that i never envisioned back when i started...

this is part of that for me. i'm invested in the well-being of the community and the movement, and dedicated to pushing it onward for as long as i can stand to. i was never part of the culture that got this started but i saw the value of the way they rolled almost right away. if only a little squinch of that flavor remains, shouldn't we do what we can to keep it alive?

that suits me

i think we can drop this notion... it sounds like an unduly complex solution for a simple issue.

thanks again to everyone for taking the time to come in here and discuss it. i know it's a relatively trivial issue compared to what's been going on lately, but it's important in a philosophical kind of way, to me.
  27. ARC Member

Why so "MODS=GODS", King Nerd?

YSOSRS shitting up the recent posts list is a real problem. There are just different ways to deal with it.

You understand that if we put it back without a user option, that means YSOSRS will see somewhat stricter moderation, right? Perhaps that might even be a good thing and an incentive to be more creative in your "humor" posts.
  28. cubby Member

DO IT FAGGOT

lol
  29. u fail @ trollin'

sealiousgb1.jpg

Y do we need a special short-bus folder for fail-trolls?

Humour is integral to chanology. Every chanology effort accomodates humour.

Exist nao plenty-o humourous posts in srs bznz threads.

If someone gets sent to the /td/ it is because:

(a) nsfw; or,

(b) they fail at trollin'

lrn2troll and stop baaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn
  30. cubby Member

this site... doesn't really get trolled too bad even in the worst of times

just imo naturally i can't speak for all anonymous
  31. sue Administrator

that you pull out your head out of your ass.

gore spam wow
    mod account hacks wow

I thought you could come up with something a little more original than that. Now if you as a bonus could do that IRL and Deliver, without getting arrested that would be awesome.

In theyre disagreement there is a form of agreement, eventho not fully supporting my point of view they do reject yours.

is this by the way suposed to get to me ? i could actually care less.
  32. cubby Member

i am kinda slow, actually. girl on the internet and all that. =(

i'm unclear what your expectations are... if i disagree with something you want me to do something surprising instead of talking about it...

i think you're probably more a troll at heart than me. is it that everything around here is so weak sauce? i don't blame you, but when stuff that's actually kinda funny is getting smacked down so hard, it makes me sad. it seems like a shame to stamp out the few sparks that are left out of disappointment.

btw, is there a reason YSOSRS isn't viewable to guest? it's SFW.
  33. The Shadow Member

Vote NO

The 'Recent Thread' should not be clogged up with trolling, especially given the tendency for people to title YSOSRS threads in a way that makes them look like important news. 'Recent Threads' should be reserved for the serious business only. YSOSRS was removed from that for a reason, therefore we shouldn't be talking about moving it back. If YSOSRS has to stay in the upstairs forums, fine, but it shouldn't be shown in Recent Threads.

A vote for YES is like a vote for four more years of Bush AFTER Obama has been sworn in
  34. sue Administrator

kitchen
    abuse and irrelevance. has been posted about one page or so back.
  35. cubby Member

well... i don't think that's gonna make it better. if you just want it to become something completely alien so there's no shadow left of the idealized beginnings, i can understand that but i don't agree.

it's not my forum, tho.

thanks for coming in and sharing your side of it, and i mean that full-out.
  36. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

ProTip:
    1. Drop the "Quick Links" menu
    2. Left click and hold "Todays Post"
    3. Drag it up to your browsers "links bar"
    4. YSOSRS
    5. ???????
    6. Profit

dum-ass wogs.
  37. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

[IMG]
  38. cowboyanon2 Member

think ur missing the point.. personally i don't care about ysosrs.. still have not been there.. point is to put it somewhere where everyone can see.. and if an interesting topic comes up you can click on it...

so all people coming to wwp.. can see the humorous side of the site... and ysosrs might get some more action... and keep more people at the site..

least thats what i think the point is...
  39. Tenebrous Member

So anyway, someone sent me the template for that gorilla, but I have to put a shadow face back on it. More to come on that... >:3

Anyway, I'm sure sue puts a lot of time and effort into the site, and I see his point of view. In the same situation maybe I'd look at the lulz faction on this site and get fed up with it too if I had to handle all of the complaints, bawww, and faggotry.

That said, I think that keeping ysosrs on the list would be useful being that it's a self contained forum and that, if it appeared on the scroll, would introduce some much needed lulz into the upstairs forums. That, and it'd steel a few anons, who I think otherwise have a thin skin on matters.

edit: I've finished work on the shadow/gorilla fuckfest. Once I find a site that doesn't delete nigger porn he can take joy in seeing it again.
  40. cubby Member

ooookay thread

da5id said they'd take what to do on this subject into consideration with the upcoming forum changes... and i think everyone's done their best (more or less) in laying out their views for or against... we're just spinning our wheels now.

as far as i'm concerned, this thread can be locked

(and just for the record i like sue very much (not that sue cares, i'm sure))