Customize

Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by cubby, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Add YSOSRS back into 'Most Recent Threads'?

Yes 68 vote(s) 57.1%
No 51 vote(s) 42.9%
  1. cubby Member

Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought part of the point of having the ysosrs forum was to bring some light-hearted, SFW trolling and humor to the upstairs.

when the joke threads from it don't appear on the scroll, it doesn't work as well. it makes it kind of pointless to try and pull a joke like that.

whether you agree or disagree with the rationale behind it, let's discuss it. i was told that the forum was removed from the listing because of one user, and it's a shame to let one person ruin the fun for everyone else.
  2. cowboyanon2 Member

Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

i vote yes

edit: sorry didn't see actual poll
  3. Fuckeye Member

Y.
  4. Tenebrous Member

Srsly, Ysosrs should be viewable on the recent threads otherwise there's not a whole lot of point to it. It's simply a work friendly (more or less) version of the dome if you have to go there deliberately. If anything, it just waters down the actual thunderdome since it steals the meat from the grinder, thus depriving /td/ of new material.

If someone does abuse it and posts 50 threads to consume the entire list then simply give them some infraction points. There's no reason to close the pool just because some little asswipe pissed in it. :p
  5. FUCK Member

yes. we need to bring back the old days of doing it for the lulz!!!
  6. King Nerd Member

DO IT FAGGOTS!

And by faggots, I mean the mods.
  7. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

Internetz iz srs bsns!
  8. King Nerd Member

^Gosh, I wonder what your vote was...
  9. Throe Member

I'm Throe, and I approve this message!
  10. cubby Member

....only posts from people who voted yes, it looks like. no one want to make the argument against?
  11. Your Mom Member

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled when it got removed from the recent post list, either, but I was outvoted.
  12. cubby Member

that's cool... still no input from those who are against the idea, either staff or users...

would kind of like to hear from them =/
  13. sue Administrator

It has been disable from cyb-stats due to multiple forms of abuse for exemple thread spamming etc.
    Doubt its comming back, people aren't even bothering to say no.
    And besides a handfull of samefags who keep bumping this thread i don't see anybody beeing thrilled by this idea.
  14. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

non-samefag moralfag here

if the chilluns want it i say ok

(keeping my fingers crossed that our "good PR" doesn't take a hit ;) )
  15. Fuckeye Member

You mean OTHER than the poll so far?
  16. cubby Member

would it be an equally effective solution to infract or ban abusers, as is done in similar situation?

some have voted no, but aren't posting. i'd like to hear from them. if you're referring to the total number of votes, i'm not sure many other polls in this forum get much more activity.

i'm just looking at the vote totals right now... and i'm bumping it so i can hear from the people who removed it or are against it being restored. i'm not sure what the logic is behind it, because it seems to me like it would be more simple to ban a single person causing problems... but then, i see a benefit to restoring it that others may not.
  17. da5id Administrator

opinions noted.. to an extent i agree, but i'd rather not make any changes just yet. need to get staff to help discuss some forum layout changes anyway so we'll toss that in to the mix.
  18. sue Administrator

I see no beneffit in restoring it, and besides that, domers haven't kept they're side of the deal aka not shitting up threads upstairs which was the reason why YSOSRS had been created.

You are implying that the disturbancies we're caused by one single instigator, which sadly is not the case.

Enabling YSOSRS in cybstats would pretty much negate the intended function of the module. As far as i recall this forum is about protesting, and more exactly something scientology related, having 20 troll posts beeing bumped by a domer in a drunk fit doesn't add anything of value to either subjects.

This is not trollforums.com

I will also kindly remind you that there have been requests of locking YSOSRS away, to merge it back into the dome or to just delete it. Before you attempt to : baww but we have democracy bawww look at the poll. YSOSRS would have been dead a month ago if every poll that got a little over 30 votes would pass.

YSOSRS beeing omnipresent is the middleground. live with it.
  19. King Nerd Member

Be sure to tell Sue to stop being a bitch.
  20. Fuckeye Member

I don't recall the domers requesting the forum.
    I don'tr recall any kind of deal.
    I do agree with getting rid of the subforum though, if you're not going to let it show in recent poists.
  21. sue Administrator

lurk more
    that will be just fine aswell.
  22. Fuckeye Member

When I said domers, I was referring to the majority - there were one or two suggesting it that I recall, nothing near to a consensus though.

Either way, I don't really care.
  23. Tenebrous Member

Why would domers troll a board that doesn't even show up in the stats? That's partly why /td/ is such a lame duck now. It's just trolls trolling trolls, which gets incredibly dull. Secondly, what agreement? I certainly don't remember some mass concensus among /td/ that we'd never troll a single thread on either Enturb or WWP.

I realize that some of you don't see any value in trolling, and truthfully, if the trolling isn't kept in check your site will be shit. Most of us with any common sense realize this, but the flip side to that is if nothing is ever allowed to be trolled, flamed, or corrected then flawed ideas and incorrect statements are allowed to not only run rampant, but exponentially breed in the upstairs forums. Not only that, but this shit has never been 100% serious business.

Next time you protest take a long look in the mirror and try not to see the absolute absurdity in dressing up like epic fail guy and parading yourself in front of the masses with a herd of meme spewing cats. We may have a serious message, but we have fun doing it. That's basically what most of the trolling is. If everyone becomes such a stuffed shirt that every little thread has to sound like it rolled off of the OCMB assembly line then we're all going to be in sorry shape.
  24. Flaming & Trolling

How does not showing prank posts on a list stop you from correcting someone? How do restrictions on trolling stop you from saying that you think an idea is stupid?
  25. sue Administrator

Ok so the ideal would be to troll everybody till that on its turn becomes dull, and that the last few people that are trying to have meaningfull discussions are gone.
    Agreed, it sadens me also to say that this very forum is due to its excessive trolling one of the least pleasant to read. I found myself to enjoy reading the most tinfoil forum on earth not based on its content but based on how the users we're conducting.

I yet have to see the link to be established between educating the public and turning of readers.
    I like how you cite trolling and correction in the same sentence. The "trolling" on this forum has nothing to do with correcting anything, except for a very limited ammount of exceptions . Maybe if the staff would be less occupied reading through garbage piles of font size 7 baww they'd "shitcan" a little more tinfoil threads.
    You seem to take this serious tho.
    Nobody has ever seen me with an EFG mask on. And if i had known this would turn into some monthly carnaval beforehand i would probably have turned away a long time ago.
    I admired your post untill you had to pull in the "ocmb" fucktardery in.
  26. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

I enjoy all the threads. I support this motion.
  27. cubby Member

...all the humorless folks who report threads bawww in size 7?

edit: in all srsness sue, thank you for sharing your perspective.
  28. Obama Member

Let the users choose what subforums get listed in the box

Make it customizable
  29. Re: Add YSOSRS subforum back into the 'Most Recent Threads'

I voted yes and I'm voting yes to this^^ one too.
  30. MrNiceNice Member

Decisions....decisions... why can't we just do both and make
    everyone happy?
  31. sue Administrator

It has nothing to do with having a sence of humor or not, besides that it is practicly impossible to define what humor is, the very fact that the different cultures from various states, countries, continents, walks of life that are trying to blend in all have different joking habits which leads to the "has a sence of humor scale" to be of no value AT ALL.

What you will find amusing or funny, might and will be an outright insult to another. I experienced this in a very brutal manner somewhere in cambodia.

I find it intriguing that the thought, that people reporting posts have to be lacking a sence of humor joke aside even crossed your mind, or as to put it differently : I am astounded that you apperently think reports are only about your and your fellow domers trolling, and that you to justify the amount of imagined reports insinuate that the reporters lack a sence of humor. I wonder how this "playing the victim role" is compatible with the "uncaring and untouchable platinum padded armor wearing internet trolls" (that are suposed to guard this internet from the fail).

I would also like to add that besides my perspective i am trying to talk for those that are not posting in this topic. Not to shove words into theyre mouths but to speak the words that wont come out of theyres.
  32. sue Administrator

this would have been the best solution, it beeing at this time techinicly impossible does however not warrant the enabling of YSOSRS for everybody.
  33. TheBitch Member

Which you infer from what sauce? I know you're a mod and all, but that seems a pretty blanket statement. It's not like this place is known for shy people unwilling to speak their minds. Dox or stfu? Liek I said, know you're a mod... but some basis in fact before saying such things would be appreciated by those of us not "in the know."
  34. sue Administrator

You expect every person that shares my opinion to read this thread and even bother replying ? I am replying to this thread not out of interest, but because i am a mod, if i wasnt a mod i wouldn't even have clicked on this thread because well guess what : most people don't give a fuck about YSOSRS, nor do most people give a fuck about your trolling.

What you are asking is for people who don't care about abortions to go to an abortion clinic to tell pregnant women how evil abortion is.

How many will bother ?
    Exactly. none.
    before implying that i am lacking a point or lacking insight, try making or having either of them.

*edit*

just to make it clear, some do not voice theyre opinion not because they are afraid, but because they do not give a rats ass about your dome shenanigans.
  35. TheBitch Member

You're drawing conclusions without facts in evidence is what you're doing. I could just as easily say that people aren't posting because they find watching people argue about it to be lulzy and entertaining "in their culture." You're WAY over thinking what "is known" with your [strike]assumptions[/strike] "insights." You've tried to broaden this to a global context of a localization of sense of humor (BTW Chaplin disproves the Hell out of your premise) in order to appear worldly wise about something which most know and understand, and then use it as a springboard to launch into your assumed representation of the unvoiced disempowered masses who didn't bother to show up.
  36. sue Administrator

except that there is this this counter telling how many views a thread has had, and this "currently viewing this thread mod". And guess what ? fact says : nobody gives a fuck. Sorry to bring it to you with my [STRIKE]assumtions[/STRIKE] "insights".
    i'd like to know where you came to the conclusion that those whom do not care are impowered.
  37. sue Administrator

well how about you go and code it ?
  38. TheBitch Member

I was working off your basic assumptions my dear. Plain and simple.

If they're not posting they either a) they don't care, or b) they feel somehow prevented from posting out of some sort of implicit fear of an unknown retribution which silences them, so forward you step to be their knight in shining armor. I didn't hear anyone put a callout for a union rep or spokes being. I didn't hear anybody say "I'm afraid to speak, could someone please speak for me?"

Those who do not care are empowered by having the right not to give a damn and not to voice it WITHOUT someone deciding they're going to assume the position of giving voice for them / claiming their silence as additional weight for the sociopolitical ambitions in shaping conversation shown by a mod in a forum on a bloody website!

What ever happened to, "Speaking for myself, I think _______" without calling on rhetoric to support specious argument? Or did you lose that part of you when you ascended to Modhood?
  39. sue Administrator

One more post by you and we are in a parallel universe.

Either way since option B) is out of order, you seem to more or less acknowledge that there is the possibility that people do not care about YSOSRS, so could you now explain to me why it should be in the cyb-stats since most don't care ?
  40. MrNiceNice Member

...let me guess what happens if I report a mod for
    thread derailing...hummm...
    whataworld whataworld