Customize

"A religion is just a widely accepted cult"

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Anon Fifty Seven, Jan 8, 2009.

1. "A religion is just a widely accepted cult"

I hear this response a lot from people. There are "experts" going around saying stuff like "All religions started out as cults."

When did it become popular to say that a cult is just a small religion?
    ^What happened to this? (link is to that student video project you've probably seen)
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: "A religion is just a widely accepted cult"

I am not sure about English, but the French equivalent "secte" has both meanings:
    - a religious group that segregates from a larger one (see the etymology),
    - a group that shows some specific patterns: usually control of time, money, sleep, food, etc.

Some people, often apologists, are good at playing on these two meanings.
  3. Mutante Member

Why even have a debate about Scientology in the context of religion?

You'd get more mileage out of explaining how Scientology was always a business, never a religion, until it was decided to call offices 'churches' and executives 'miniters' as a tax dodge.

The Affidavit of Lawrence Brennan
  4. Re: "A religion is just a widely accepted cult"

I agree. Some people just shut down when you mention "cult" or "religion".
  5. Happy Cat Member

Makes me RAAAEG nearly as hard as the people who ask me if I'm a christian
    not a dozen words into a conversation, and then their eyes glaze over. Fuck you - irrelevant!

Truth. I've had it happen a lot less when I steer the conversation in that direction.
    No point explaining the word "cult" when it's apparently tl;dr for everybody.
    Gives you more time to inoculate other folks.
  6. NotBobMinton Member

So does that mean when scientology calls us a cult, that we should claim religious stature?
  7. Mutante Member

Lol. Maybe we'd get tax relief from educating our children in anonymous schools.
  8. Anonym0se Member

Cult is derives from the latin word "occultus" tha same as with "occult" it means "that which is hidden"
    I'm not going to say all religions started out as cults, but the diffrence between cult and religion is merely its popularity.

But its not that this is JUST a cult, its a self destructive cult that ruins lives, so that puts it a rung or two down.
  9. Re: "A religion is just a widely accepted cult"

I think a cult has a greater focus on a leader, is more controlling of its members and demands more sacrifice than a religion does.
  10. Lednir Member

Religions may have started off as cults, but they probably didn't do as much harm to their own as scientology does.
  11. Yoni Alter Member

It really does not help our cause to go down the "all religions are bad" path, which alienates the rest of the world that isn't atheist. Like me, for example. Not an atheist. I have all kinds of craaaazy-ass religious beliefs. That said, my religion wasn't started to make money and doesn't want to kill lesser races of people, but yes, some crazy beliefs.

And my religion is free, even if the cost of High Holiday tickets can get pretty high in the suburbs.