Customize

A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 2100

Discussion in 'Media' started by Sponge, Sep 15, 2010.

1. WhiteNight Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

Curiousity killed the kitteh ladies and gents.
    [SPOILER] emergrncy-rm.jpg [/SPOILER]
    Full story for those of you with more curiousity than sense:
    My Funny Accident Result
  2. Bob Loblaw Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

We've got the benefit of having been reading this stuff for quite a while now. I'd cite a previous professor's criticism of a presentation I gave: in sum, I told too much.

Best to use the time given to explain in an audience-appropriate manner why Scientology's abuses and danger to the public-at-large are very real threats. If the public wants to know more, it's a relatively simple leap to discover additional sordid details.

Quite frankly, I personally got tired of reading about YET MORE abuses: the ones that were already well-documented (Disconnection, Operation Snow White, coerced abortions by the Sea Org, etc.) were easily enough for me. Quite frankly, if the only thing I saw was "The Unfunny Truth About Scientology", I'd be set for a damned long time (about a billion years *cough*).

EDIT: The scene at 8:02 in Part 4 - just WOW: it'll be hard to forget that example of Disconnection.
  3. bAnon Member

I know it's been mentioned ITT, but the use of a Tommy Davis similar voice in the program is ULTIMATE LULZ! I can only imagine 'The Sweeney' laughing his ass off in post production when they decided to use that voice.

Additionally, any $cilon public that watched this, and know Tommy.....well, let's just say I'm sure hearing that voice hit home for them.
  4. DeathHamster Member

I wants a text-to-speech synth for Tommy. Animated Tommy-bobble-head would be be a bonus. (There ought be enough to sample here: Four Corners - Scientology: The Ex-Files )
  5. Random guy Member

One thing they did do, that I haven't see documented before, was exposing the extreme potty-mouth language of the "ecclesial leadership" of the cult. It's not like we sensor our language here, but at least swearing here is either used humourously or to express genuine emotions.
  6. AnotherSock Member

Yeah. Also, none of us is pretending to be the head of a "religion".

"The most ethical people on the planet," no less. Hmm...
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Sponge Member

I wonder if that TD sound-a-like is available for hire? <evil grin>
  9. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

This?

BBC: Thank you

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the BBC for funding investigative journalism of this depth and scope. In days of diminishing budgets and tabloid tendencies, its good to see that actual journalism is still being carried out by actual journalists. I think my thoughts resonate well within a large group of people who have followed this story for the last 3-4 years. And more. So I applaud you for that.

However, one thing baffles me. Where is David Miscavige? Why does it seem so hard to get the leader of the church to lead his church? Was it difficult/impossible for the BBC to get Miscavige on camera? Can you persist on getting a 1-on-1 broadcast with him? He is the only person positioned in the heart of the controversy whose opinion really matters at this point, and we want to hear from him. At least I do, I am only assuming that others will too.

Secondly, I felt that the program was somewhat focused on the charges against the administration of the Church, as opposed to the aggressive nature of the original Hubbard recruitment systems. It seems like the current administration of the church did not invent the policies it is following. From what little I know about the system of scientology, it seems it was always meant to give the leader a sinister psychological advantage over the people around him.

I hope the BBC sees value in investigating how a system like Scientology has grown from the ideas of Hubbard to a large-scale international property-owner. I hope you can allow a budget to investigate the e-meter, the stress test, the ritualistic therapy sessions, the scientology techniques and practices, their touch assists and medical emergency capacities, the treatments for drug addiction and so on. The Church makes many bold claims; put them to the test.

The BBC has made an enormous contribution to the collective understanding, and thus resistance, to fraudulent scam techniques and abuses of power. I beg of you, please keep going, please keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
    some guy on the internet
  10. WhiteNight Member

I like =)

Also; I'm so for hiring the guy with the TD voice. Failing that, is it possible to copy the parts of the film in which the guy speaks and splice up the words to form our own message?
  11. Anonymous Member

see also

12. Anonymous Member

Repeated in 5 minutes time on BBC News 24
  13. exOT8Michael Member

THIS ^^^ is one awesome sharp 'poon!
    I might copypasta it to BBC too... looks like a winning message to me.
    M
  14. Anonymous Member

Fucking fail. Write your own letter. A diversity of perspectives has more impact than copypasta.
  15. exOT8Michael Member

I already sent mine last week.

More poons the better...
  16. AnotherSock Member

Yeah... but sometimes I find it helps to have a starting point that I can work from and adapt. It gets the thing underway, even if the final letter is nothing like the one provided.

(I sent my own letter on Wednesday morning, BTW.)
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

"...tooooooooooooo realize my crime..."

(Yes, what are your crimes?!?)
  18. jensting Member

The clambots are allll over the Panorama board.

Sharone Stainforth is giving them heck. Good show!

Best Regards

Jens
  19. Anonymous Member

I picked up right away while watching Marty Rathbun perform the pinch test. Immediately, I would have asked him "Can you move your fingers off of the "truthy test machine please while you are performing this test on me."

I'm hoping that John Sweeney noticed this silly behaviour even in his nautiness
  20. AnotherSock Member

Join the fun.
  21. DeathHamster Member

It would be just as valid if the auditor used a Ouija board while the subject was holding actual soup cans. True, it wouldn't have the party-trick resistance meter, but on the other hand, a Ouija board could spell out exactly what the problem is.

"Now just remember when I pinched you. O. W. W. Yes, see how the Ouija meter picked up the thought-image..."

(Best of all, you could have soup afterward.)
  22. Anonymous Member

My only complaint is it didn't sound quite gay enough . . .
  23. Petete Member

Hi guys. I was wondering if there is any plan to make a transcript of the show, because I will translate it to spanish and subtitle it sooner or later, but a transcript would help a LOT
  24. Sponge Member

Someone started a thread for that sort of thing, somewhere. Find it and bump it.
    The BBC iPlayer has an english subtitles option which would make it easier for someone in the UK to go through it, retype it, and note the timings as opposed to a raw transcription from audio only. Then you do your translations. The only problem is that the iPlayer has a piss poor seek slider.

I did have a look for a shortcut, at whether I could extract the subtitles as text from an iPlayer download but upon initial investigation, and due to the mental distraction of other shiny things, it seems that even if they were in the download they'd be hard coded in the resultant mp4 and unextractable.
  25. Anonymous Member

I love it when you tech dirty to me, baby ^^^^
  26. Anonymous Member

Dont you UK guys get closed caption subtitles broadcast on the BBC? We certainly get them here on the ABC...
  27. Sponge Member

S'ok, turned out the bespoke iplayer download file does save the subs and timings as a seperate file (formatted as XML or something, which I then reformatted as simple plaintext).

See here if you are interested in doing translations.....
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/panorama-media-dissemination-thread-72088/#post1332383

Note although I have some pretty neat video editing software, the titling features are a tad clunky and time consuming for this sort of thing and there is no way to import any format of subtitles autmatically. So, don't ask me to insert your translation into hard coded subs and re-render an entire 60min widescreen video because it's just too much. Someone else may be better equipped to deal with that.
  28. Petete Member

As I said in the other thread and PM, dont worry, I got it. Thanks a LOT Sponge!
  29. Sponge Member

30. Petete Member

31. Smurf Member

Too funny... a police officer with the South Yorkshire Police (UK) tweeted Kirstie Alley mentioning her part in the Panorama expose and Kirstie blocked him..

"Hear Panorama this eve a slur on the good name of Scientology. Outrageous! Nothing will stop us loving Kirstie Alley". BBC News - Panorama - John Sweeney revisits the Church of Scientology - Sep 28th

"Have been blocked by @kirstiealley! #heartbroken. Will sob over my box-set of the "Look Who's Talking" Trilogy." - Sep 30th

kirstiealley @southyorksfuzz did not mean to block you...but you should be aware that furthering slanderous info isn't something beloved
    Sep 30th via web in reply to southyorksfuzz

South Yorks' Police (southyorksfuzz) on Twitter
  32. Anonymous Member

33. theLastAnon Member

Be sure to check out the rotating front page imagery on Catholic Online right now. This is the second time they've used chanology anons as the front page photo for a Scientology story. Kind of epic.

For posterity and in case you miss it:

[IMG]

Either Randy Sly has a hard-on for us, or their webmaster is down with the lulz.

EDIT: thought this story deserved its own thread, so started one here (credit to Sponge): http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-m...sweeney-revisits-scientolo-72286/#post1332472
  34. DeathHamster Member

Well... Guy Fawkes was a Catholic, after all.
  35. Anonymous Member

Randy Sly reads WWP.
  36. Anonymous Member

Also, when given a noticeable pinch it would be natural to reflexively squeeze the cans a little bit harder, thus bumping the meter. Being asked to recall the experience only moments later while still holding onto the cans would elicit the same reflex action. Marty's finger on the dial just to smooth out any minor variances for the camera. Putting the cans down for a while and then coming back some time later, any response to recalling that pinch would likely be much more subdued..

I think he probably did, but for the sake of brevity chose to let it all stand on it's own. Viewers would mostly be all "LOL E-Meter" as it was without needing to be spoon fed details over just how ridiculous the whole thing really is.
  37. theLastAnon Member

oh hai Randy
  38. Anonymous Member

He would be a idiot if he did not. He has been given the link by many and was told about the cold hard facts of scientology abuses.

....the man likes the verifiable facts.

I hope you other faggots latch on to other journalists...and ride them 'til they are chapped in the ass.

You can't expect all to be as "with it" as Sly.
  39. JohnnyRUClear Member

0703_sly_stone.jpg
    Say it, say it, say it again!
  40. brownsugar Member