Customize

A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 2100

Discussion in 'Media' started by Sponge, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

I guess it was okay. The only thing new (that I could detect) was the 'celebrities' comments.
  2. Smurf Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

Excuse me? You Generality Infested CSMF.
  3. Anonymous Member

/r/ mods code 'Smurf' to 'CSMF' ala Daywatch
  4. Smurf Member

Oh shit. Ya think Miscavige copyrighted the phrase?
  5. bAnon Member

ALL OF IT is new to the average BBC viewer (and beyond). moar and moar WTF? is happening right naow because of this broadcast
  6. Anonymous Member

When I type Smurf, I want CSMF to appear. I don't think that's too much to ask.
  7. Anonymous Member

IIRC, Tom Cruise went off-lines for about seven years at one point, before being sucked back into the cult. So... check the timing of when the cult attempted to blackmail Beghe, and maybe the apostate could still be Cruise?
  8. Anonymous Member

Close, but no cigar.....

[IMG]
  9. Anonymous Member

Er... Monica Lewinsky?
  10. Anonymous Member

New Inventors: Rodent Relocation Device
  11. Gomez Member

lol, has anyone seen this?

John Sweeney reviews Tom Cruises Valkyrie on the radio and "looses it" in Scientology & Me style. Only a true showman can laugh at himself in this way.
  12. Zay Tonday Member

OK, just watched it and holy fuck.

Sweeney wins.

That is all.
  13. veravendetter Member

hadn't heard that. good one :)
  14. AnotherSock Member

Yeah, I'd seen that. Or perhaps I could say, I was there at the beginning...
  15. Anonymous Member

hai guise,

Was Anonymous mentioned?
  16. AnotherSock Member

No. But that suits us fine. The critics who were shown were all facefagged (identified by name...) and the effect was much greater as a result. This wasn't a documentary about how young people get together and shout "LOL XENU" at a fail cult bookshop; it went a lot deeper than that.

Anonymous played a major role in getting people to watch the programme and getting them to talk about it afterwards, though. And let's not forget that there were a lot of other big wins that day, too.

September 28th was Anon Day, not Freezoner Day.
  17. Anonymous Member

No, but John Sweeney says that a big difference between 2007 and now is that a lot more people are willing to speak out. That's wasn't caused by sunspots or something in the water.
  18. Anonymous Member

^^^^^^ THANK you. There were a good few opportunities where he could have at LEAST mentioned us.
  19. Namenlos Member

That smile reminded me of someone else's creepy smile...

Creepysmiles.jpg
  20. Anonymous Member

You have to admit GB IS rather a little better looking than LRH, also GB isn't as bald. lol
  21. AnotherSock Member

LRonfugly.jpg
  22. Anonymous Member

me neither, but enough do... that's not a bad thing. I find it very very amusing. Just for these purposes, it's not what the great unwashed public needs to see.

Need to wait.

C'mon - who gives a shit? we're anonymous FFS.

We know we've made a difference.
  23. DeathHamster Member

Can you think of a way to mention Anonymous without getting stuck in explanations that would have taken time away from other stuff?

(Although Rathbun's cold reading with his e-meter "truth detector" [barf!] could have been cut down a bit. "You're worried about something and you're not going to tell anyone about it..." Woah, psychic!)
  24. Anonymous Member

MediaTel: Newsline: TV Overnights: BBC One secures a peak-run during prime time

that's pretty good. More people watched this than any other individual programme in that time slot.
  25. Anonymous Member

Did anyone else go -?-!?-! when the Hadley forced abortion thing came up - or rather, that all aspects of the abortions being coerced were absent from the story. It struck me like a thing that hits one in the head fairly hard whilst one has been otherwise enjoying one's self.

Point being, it made it blatantly obvious that the BBC legal types were all over this, turning down the criticism to LOW. And yet despite that, it was an extremely effective doco. I bet that there were more than a couple of staunch discussions between Sweeney and the lawyers about what could be included. But I think at the end of the day, the presentation of Claire's abortion stories is reasonably solid evidence that it was the legal types who were responsible for the piece not being perhaps as hard-hitting as some of us might have hoped for.

The lesson is thus: Even when the media lawyers spray Oust everywhere beforehand, the cult's dirty laundry reeks so badly it will still make everyone not wearing a mask retch.
  26. Bipolart Member

Monkey had the superior smile.

And not as bald.
  27. RightOn Member

huh!
    Did not know that
  28. Anonymous Member

here's some viewing figures for top 10 shows on the main channels, to give some context for that (figures are in '000 viewers aged 4 upwards):

so

- it got more (2x more) viewers than the most popular progs on BBC2 or Channel 4.

- viewing figures comparable with the most popular soaps. Half of Eastenders at its max pupularity - but EE is the most popular programme in the country.

- half of the X Factor's viewers - but a lot of those will be kids. Given Panorama's topic and time slot, probably fairly few kids watching.

so overall verdict: big success in terms of viewing figures.

BAFTA on the way?
  29. RightOn Member

missing teeth, and in an earlier b & w vid his teeth were black on the bottom
    Such a foul person. I use the term person lightly.

EDITED, 5 million viewers, I like that a lot!
  30. Sponge Member

31. Anonymous Member

More about viewing figures from

TV - News - BBC's Scientology doc attracts 4.8m - Digital Spy

32. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

What kind of ratings does Panorama usually pull down in that time period? Is the show on every week like 60 Minutes or do they just do specials when they have important stories to tell?
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Anonymous Member

3m to 4m for the regular shows. not including specials (which this was).

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2004/09/27/panorama_barchart.pdf
  35. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

So the bosses at the BBC must be pretty happy about how things turned out. And this serves notice to the rest of the media that people are interested in the subject. Interested enough for them to dig a little deeper perhaps?

*locks bedroom door*

*fap fap fap fap*
  36. RightOn Member

I think the general public is interested in watching Scientology media stories because of the mystery behind COS and the celebrities involved.(which is ironically how some members got in)

The unraveling of ex member's abuse is peaking people's interest.
    Now on to telling the general public how much their governments give them in tax breaks. This will REALLY peak their interest. Sweeney touched on it very lightly.

Wouldn't it be great to send him a packet of tax info stats?

We need numbers and statistics to show people. Which is why I am asking everyone again to please get involved in uncovering the amount of tax breaks COS gets by researching your area, and posting the informatation. We have a thread started for US tax exemptions, and I have asked other countries to follow suit and start their own thread. They have to see the numbers from THEIR towns and THEIR cities and that is what is agoing to HORRIFY the tax payers.

Stand in front of an org with a sign that shows just how much that org is exempt. Passer bys will take notice!

And helping with this project can also help keep the public's interest.
    We also need more help in the US tax exempt thread. I have been terribly busy in the last couple of days and have not been able to add to it. If anyone knows a real estate fag that can help look up some properties, that would be devine.
    Come on people, let's do this! errrrrr please?
  37. Anonymous Member

Fangs for the memories!!!
  38. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

I didn't get that impression at all. To me it was pretty clear that it was performed under duress.

I'll have to watch it again later to get a second look at it. It could be I got that impression because I, like the rest of us here, am familiar with the issue.

I don't think there was all that much "lawyer editing" going on to be honest. It wasn't afraid to call them a cult. Although there was no mention of Miscavige's physical abuse, that simply could be because there wasn't time. It wasn't too "tech friendly" as it talked about Xenu.

All in all I think it was an excellent documentary and I'm glad that 4.8 million in the UK are now well informed about Scientology.
  39. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

Meanwhile, Scientology's youtube video has about a thousand views, half the ratings are thumbs down. So... good job on the damage control, OSA.
  40. Anonymous Member