Customize

A New Interview with Assange by Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by nailinpalinnow, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Enturbulette Member

7 pages in all. Excerpt:

The conventional wisdom – both in Sweden and the U.S. – is that you won't be extradited. Why are you convinced you will?
    Extradition is a political matter. The extradition treaties – those from the U.K. to the U.S. and from Sweden to the U.S. – are both very dangerous for me. Every day that I remain in England, it is dangerous, and if I am in Sweden, it will be at least as dangerous as it is here, and very probably more so. The Swedish foreign minister responsible for extradition, Carl Bildt, became a U.S. Embassy informant in 1973 when he was 24 years old. He shipped his personal effects to Washington, to lead a conservative leadership program, where he met Karl Rove. They became old friends and would go to conferences together and so on.

Karl Rove? How do you know this?
    Cables. Although I have not been charged with anything, there is an active allegation against me of rape and sexual molestation against Swedish women. So the political environment in Sweden to defend me against extradition to the United States is quite adverse. Some people have said, "Look, both the United Kingdom and Sweden and many countries say that there is not to be extradition for political offenses." But the United States government is not trying to indict me for a "political" offense – it is trying to indict me for espionage, or conspiracy to commit espionage, and computer hacking. The U.S. grand jury is looking at indicting us for charges which are not, on their face, political. But of course, the reasons are political, and that is a different matter.

And:

What do you make of Anonymous? They've supported you.
    We were involved with Anonymous from 2008. They were providing us with material related to our investigations into abuses by the Church of Scientology. It was a young pranksterish Internet culture, not something at all to be taken seriously. What's wonderful about what has happened over the last few years is that through engaging with forces much larger than themselves, starting with the Church of Scientology, they have been educated about how the world actually works. Then, reading information we've released and also seeing the attacks on us, they've been further educated. Now they have become politicized, they've come to understand some of where the big powers are. This was a very apolitical group that had absolutely no understanding about the military-industrial complex whatsoever, and no understanding about international finance. As a result of joining our battle and trying to protect themselves, they have come to see that the threats related to Internet freedom come from the military-industrial complex, the banking system and the media. The media is the third big power group, because when you're involved in something like this, it becomes newsworthy.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

I think he's giving the DDoS brigade too much credit.
  3. Anonymous Member

What he's misreading are the demographics: the membership of Chanology has changed, and it not just the younger people anymore.
  4. Anonymous Member

Because others are sitting in their basement, or couch. Not going to do him any good.
  5. Anonymous Member

We were involved with Anonymous... Then, reading information we've released ...As a result of joining our battle and ...