Customize

A humble proposal.

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: A humble proposal.

Ok, then make me a mod. Sounds like I'd be a good fit.
  2. Re: A humble proposal.

But what about the lulz that the anonymous trolls provide? Can't we just troll them back?
  3. Anonymous Member

I doubt it, but go ahead and give it a try.
  4. sue Administrator

Clever insinuation, no.
  5. Re: A humble proposal.

HAI bro.
  6. Anonymous Member

Yeah, well I was kidding about the "fitting in" thing. I couldn't be a mod here, even if you begged me yet again.
  7. Anonymous Member

That is what I enjoy most about anonymous: there is no social caste or class. Should "fitting In" ever be an issue here, I will be out like a brown trout.
  8. BLiP Member

Some people can't be told - you have to show them.
  9. Re: A humble proposal.

what about infractions given out by the hive. Similar to live poll function? doable?

Step out of the place you are in. Take 10 steps back and look at the BIG picture. Now repeat those words to yourself again.
  10. Hicks Member

This could easily become a popularity contest though
  11. Anonymous Member

Oh shit...I am so not gonna sext that guy again when you put it like that. But, its fun right now....... :(
  12. Re: A humble proposal.

Hicks what are your suggestions? You have good insight into this. You are the only known case i know of a person using the anon posting function in order to troll. Do you think banning mods from this is a good start? Or should mods be allowed to troll as anyone else? If so should they be allowed to infract as a result of their trolling? Banning? Where is the line drawn? and do you think the rules should be created so an even playing field is attained?
  13. Anonymous Member

lolwut?

How on earth do you propose banning mods from trolling anonymously if they so choose?

Ah, a good question...

Get a grip, this is an open online forum. An even playing field? Please read the Forum Rules (link is at the top of every page).

By the way, I'm not Hicks, and I'm not pretending to speak for Hicks. Hicks will speak his mind in due course, I'm sure.
  14. Re: A humble proposal.

Known as in he has readily admitted it.

Why would i be asking a question if i was going to supply the answer? I'm serious. He knows how the system works from the high end. That is why The question was asked.

Let me rephrase that question: Where do we draw the line on what mods can do outside of moderation compared to what your average anon can do? and is that advantage unfair?

It doesn't matter whether you are hicks or not. What matters is what you say. That is the great thing about anonymous. Your thoughts are considered. Not who you are.
  15. Anonymous Member

Who says the community doesn't self-moderate?
  16. Anonymous Member

Your mum.

/irony.

The big benefit of the chan-style trolling and assorted juvenile shit is that it punctures the kind of pomposity we're seeing so much of in this thread.

OK, no, the big benefit is that it's often pretty funny.

As it sideline, it stops us from disppearing up our own arses. IYKWIM.
  17. Re: A humble proposal.

Why We Protest | Activism Forum - Show Groups

There are different ranks of mods. Each rank can infract any lower rank, however, to my knowledge I am the only one who has ever actually received an infraction.

Yes, mods do post anonymously, and yes sometimes we use it to say some borderline things (at best).

Mods are accountable to each other and ultimately to the administrators. I have received a chewing out or two from other staff and I have re-examined the way I do things because of it. It's not like there is a mod free-for-all, but you're probably going to have to take our word for it that there isn't. I really can't conceive of any way to make mods more accountable to the community beyond having these kinds of discussions fairly often. The simple fact is that what is most popular with the community is not always the most plausible course of action.
  18. Miranda Member

If mods seem humorless, part of it is because (speaking for myself, anyway) we don't want to abuse the position. I think of my mod persona as sort of a cross between Mary Poppins and Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein. In my anonymous or sock comments I feel freer to joke and deride or to express strong opinions--I'd feel like a bully doing much of that on my mod account because rightly or wrongly, a lot of people are more sensitive to remarks by mods than to the same remarks if made by others. I wouldn't call myself an anonymous troll. I'll just say it would be a mistake to assume that all anonymous posts in this thread or any other are by mods, or that the funny ones are all by non-mods.

There's no mod conspiracy--what would we conspire about? I mean, what are the stakes here, what great treasures or power do we have to gain? Mods are just a bunch of people who all have day jobs plus this volunteer thing, and we occasionally let off steam by laughing at the ludicrousness of this or that. As a group (with individual exceptions) we're pretty tame in our posts, even the anonymous ones. I can't speak for other mods' socks, though, because I haven't bothered to figure out who's who.
  19. Anonymous Member

You had me until you started talking about day jobs.
  20. Miranda Member

lol--well, I'm trying to put on a good appearance.
  21. Re: A humble proposal.

I have a day job :(
  22. Anonymous Member

Waiting for epic shoop.
  23. Fuckeye Member

Load of bollocks. If you're mostly a lurker, and have something you'd like to say anonymously, why should you be forced to make the 100 posts under your name in order to do so?
  24. Anonymous Member

It could be put in a moderation cue for approval.
  25. sheeple Member

Having some messages posted right away and others held up for approval in the same thread would fuck up the flow of the thread?
  26. Anonymous Member

In the very rare case that a new sock has anything of value to say? Let's not switch to ipv6 guys imagine someone on this planet only has ipv4 capable hardware.
  27. Fuckeye Member

I'm going to assume you missed the lurker part. There are plenty of people who read the board, PM, post anon etc, yet won't have the 100 posts tied to their account.
  28. Anonymous Member

lmao
  29. Anonymous Member

So you can learn what it's like to be an egofag like those who don't want to post anonymously?
  30. Anonymous Member

Occasionally there are new members that want to either drop some important information or speak out as an ex, there are a variety of reasons. The problems is sometimes say an anon gets into some trouble and decides the time they want to contribute comes out as all bawww leading to a mega thread mocking the OP. For the most part, threads started by new members don't have any hazard when not posted anonymously until the contents of the post have something identifiable.

I like the 100 posts idea, it avoids sleeping accounts from all the sudden causing havoc. Whilst these accounts have not reached the threshold, the risks to the forum is minimized. I don't know if there are a many of such accounts, it has crossed my mind.

I think you're giving them more credit than they deserve.

I am also seeing a lot of circular arguments ITT I won't pretend to understand. If you wonder why I respect the mod, you don't realize how much I rely on them to translate some poster's arguments. Some of it sounds like scilonese to me and I don't mean the terminology.

I see your point. Every new'b would be in a space-race to 100 posts. But maybe that would lead to the new'bs getting more involved in discourse.
  31. Anonymous Member

Great contribution! Would read again.

In all seriousness it is this kind of self righteous douchebaggery that could be done without.
  32. Anonymous Member

Of equal importance; using the anonymous posting feature in order to evade bans and stalk scientology critics, would become a thing of the past.
  33. Fuckeye Member

Psst. Mods can see who posts anon, it's not going to help you evade bans.
  34. Anonymous Member

Because mods are meant to police every post made? God forbid we make their lives easier with minimally restrictive measures.
  35. Anonymous Member

I've been here long enough to see a whole lotta egofaggotry and if that makes me self-righteous, so be it. I was actually being serious. To require someone to make 100 posts using their nick before "earning" the right to post anonymously makes no sense to me. BTW, sarcasm can be used to make valid points.

Also, lolirony re: your (self-righteous) reply.
  36. Anonymous Member

Quit projecting your egotistical tendencies on others. Are you suggesting that we have to deal with your self entitlement? Why? Oh right, no egotism there.
    That never came into question.
    Because, the previous arguments provided by different people don't suffice? Is it that they truly don't make sense, or is your laziness impeding you from elaborating on why you disagree.
    Please fill in my gaps.
  37. Anonymous Member

bickering.jpg
  38. Anonymous Member

This thread, like most other threads on wwp, is repetition of 3 or 4 ideas, questions, speculations, comments, etc. tossed around ad nauseum. I answered someone's question (in my own way) which technically didn't need to be asked because it had already been asked and discussed repeatedly ITT.

Let's try it your way. Make it a requirement to have 100 named posts before earning the privilege of posting anonymously. It might be interesting to see how well it will end.

As for filling in your gaps, I'll pass.
  39. Re: A humble proposal.

I´m posting here because some of the ideas found in this thread have pissed me off, and i wont be able to sleep unless i did my best to fuel this flamewar.

Being anonymous is a right of passage? Something you must earn? Fuck you. Seriously. You are a bad person with a nasty case of self righteous cancer growing outta your ass.

I cant believe that WWP has developed its own version of the "some animals are more equal than others" idea evidently found in this thread. You fucking dickheads, go die in a fire.

Anyway, anyone got any recent shots of David Miscavige? Cant wait to see what he looks like now....
  40. Fuckeye Member

...They're the only people here able to ban people, funnily enough. So for the point of using the anonymous post function to evade bans, it's still bollocks. If it gets reported by a user (which is the most likely thing to happen), the mods can still see who made the post. Much as they'd see who made the post if it was reported under the users nick.