Customize

A humble proposal.

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: A humble proposal.

I saw this thread this morning and I thought
    "Anon, the OP is obviously looking to make a point about the topics he listed in a light-hearted humourous way but with serious undercurrents. If you post in this thread drama will occour. Don't bother, the thread will die a death because my fellow Anons will spot this and do the same. This is one of those threads the Mods post in.
    Of course someone will reply, but when the drama gets a bit out of hand the Mods'll probably just dome it."
    And then I went to go check whether WikiLeaks has released the password for it's insurance file yet.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that people had been talking this thread seriously.

Regards,

Anon
  2. Craic n Smack Member

OP is correct that the mods expend too little energy in forcing anonymous internet users to conform in thought and action.

A more efficient, and probably only effective, means of eliminating stale and boring WWP forum chatter would be to toss the server into the sea.

Given that several mods are inclined to pursue OP's proposal I humbly recommend they first aggregate a comprehensive list of all users' pet peeves so we don't miss any.
  3. Anonymous Member

Trolling rockyj should be infractable because it's just too easy.
  4. xenubarb Member

Violating Godwins Law should be grounds for infraction. Let's do something useful with your mightee powahhz.

You fucking Nazis!
  5. Anonymous Member

If lulz are out, wat?

No a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. The lulz or whatever word might take its place are here to stay.
  6. grebe Member

A lot of people here use "psychotic" as an insult for someone who is vile in some way but not at all confused about what is real. That strikes me as odd. Why "psychotic" rather than "bastard" or "asshole"?

I was thinking psych stigmatizing might be worth infracting. But then I thought, better to see the bias than not see it.
  7. Anonymous Member

OP here, another proposal. Build some script or something (you're the nerds, figure it out) that runs a spell check on Barb's posts and gives her a one point infraction for every misspelled word.

Another solution. Even though I know it's not practical, it would be great if we could rig up a breathalyzer to Barb's computer so that she would have to blow under the legal limit before being able to internet. And yes, I realize that doing so would be a defacto Internet ban for Barb.
  8. xenubarb Member

O herro thar!
  9. Major Boyle Member

You've got it all wrong. We are professional Communist Nazis under the employment of Big Pharma and Psychiatry, who ultimately report to our Marcabian Overlords. Hail Xenu n shit!
  10. xenubarb Member

I've noticed Scientologists use psychotic a lot as an epithet. Which is ironic in that they're the last people on Earth able to diagnose it.
  11. sue Administrator

Just throwing it out there, what about we rid ourselves from most infractions / rules and instead adopt a forum etiquette, as in a clear code of expected conduct.

Bans would still be a last resort for those pushing the boundaries of reasonable conduct.

Thoughts?
  12. m.a.patton Member

I can't find my pants.

M.A. Patton
  13. Anonymous Member

That's a good idea. One good thing about the visible infractions though is that it can help new users quickly learn the standards of conduct here since they can notice what types of posts cross the line as they read through threads. So maybe ditch the infraction system (I get the feeling that it's biggest effect is to create a headache for mods anyways), but I really think that some sort of clearly visible indication of what posts aren't cool is a good idea.
  14. Miranda Member

I think we need to be able to infract or in some way respond to the serious stuff such as promoting illegal behavior or posting personal information. But guidelines or reminders for the small stuff makes sense. Certainly for language as we were discussing above.
  15. sue Administrator

I think one of the problems the infraction system has is that it is often perceived as "mods being patronizing", e.g User A is flaming User B, a mod infracts User A, after which User A throws a tantrum the flaming persists.

Instead of using infractions, and adding points to an automatic ban tally, mods could highlight posts by handing out warnings, explaining why certain conduct is in general undesired. It could possibly lighten up the tensions similar to "you are not my daddy, don't tell me what i can and can not do" that some users have towards mods.

Of course such a code of conduct would have to be adopted by both the mods and users, else it wouldn't work.
  16. pedrofcuk Member

So lads, what is this magoogate thing and where's my fucking money?
  17. xenubarb Member

No white shoes after Labor Day!
  18. Skeptic1337 Member

YASCOWWP

$$$
  19. RightOn Member

this cracked me the fuck up
  20. sue Administrator

So i guess that means no then, cheers guys thank you.
  21. Skeptic1337 Member

Does any one actually get infracted any more?
  22. sue Administrator

Hardly
  23. Anonymous Member

096m.jpg
  24. RightOn Member

hey Sue,
    not a bad idea...
    this whole thing really boils down to the personality of the mods too.
    Everyone has their own idea of what is considered conduct that is undesirable or not.
    hence one of the problems of moderating in the first place
    but you already know that
  25. sue Administrator

It is technically possible to use prebuilt user moderation plugins for vbulletin, adding thumbs up and down for users to rate posts individually. We have often looked into such solutions, but remain mitigated over how it would affect the community.

I think that it is pretty obvious that such a thing could go horribly wrong here, both due to the restricted size of the community and the possibly incessant drama that would ensue because someone's post was moderated down.

There are forums on which it works, others have literally died because of it. Id love for the community to take care of itself in such a way, maybe... the easiest solution is not a technical one, but rather people not being total dicks.

Eitherway, back on subject. Yes "undesired conduct" is relative to every persons opinion of what is and what is not ok. It wouldn't hurt to compile a couple of short lists of things that annoy individual users, and discuss whether it is really necessary to use dollar signs and dwarf references repetitively.

Lets hear it.
  26. Anonymous Member

What we need is the spanish [STRIKE][COLOR="Red"]MOD[/COLOR][/STRIKE] inquisition

48012766.png
    <3
  27. Anonymous Member

Nice hat sue.
  28. sue Administrator

Let's imbue it with personality. Whatsa matter with my hat
  29. Anonymous Member

Needs a flower.
  30. Re: A humble proposal.

We still need to be able to dole out a penalty for serious line crossing.

For minor things (blatant tinfoil speculation) I would support coming up with a friendlier solution than infractions.
  31. Miranda Member

Agreed.
  32. pedrofcuk Member

Nobody expects... Magoo!
  33. Miranda Member

I'd like to see speculation have its own forum. It's extremely useful but it's another kind of discussion.
  34. xenubarb Member

Make a new room called the Speculatorium.
  35. Miranda Member

lol sounds like gynecology to me.

House of Tinfoil.
  36. RightOn Member

Why We Speculate? ha!

I agree with what Sue said too
    stop acting like dicks should basically be the rule and infract for over the top stuff.
    then again we get into the what is over the top? /per mod thang

so I saw fuck it and carry on

BTW one of the comments I really hate is STFU
    to say shut up to someone alone is one of the most insulting things. IMO
  37. Re: A humble proposal.

I like the sentiment here, but it would be hard to implement because the real problem with speculation is that the violators can't tell the difference between reasonable speculation and tinfoil speculation.
  38. sue Administrator

If everything is just taken for what it is: unfounded speculation, only good can come of it i.e people can post their presumptions and exchange their ideas. If something is found to be true then it is only for the better don't you think?
  39. Miranda Member

Still, I'd rather move a post to a designated forum than infract someone for thinking outside the lines.
  40. Anonymous Member

I apologize. I may have been the one who inadvertently started this thing because I made a comment on another thread about the OVERUSED and NOT FUNNY "big pharma paycheck" comments before this thread was created. You can infract me and I will not bawww.

I am all for laughing and humour, but...that is so damn BORING, STALE, and NOT FUNNY. In most threads, I lol at at least one post. But, come on - some of you REALLY need to learn some new material. Memes and jokes have a shelf-life date, and they curdle somethin' fierce once past their expiration date.