Customize

A humble proposal.

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: A humble proposal.

I seriously do doubt that the end result would be very harmful, but we never know where the cult is going to be anticipating people speaking out. Someone who really feels they need to post anonymously should the possible likely consequences first. There is not much this community is able or often willing to do without knowing enough of the same details the cult would already know. There is more reveled about someones identity in the writing style and the information as it relates to the time they post than the random names they come up with.

Also newb's should be aware that there are other forums they can lurk on too before they dive into this pool. Xenu forbid this this all becomes a dead end for someone looking for legitimate answers.
  2. Anonymous Member

Aren't you one of those advocating the "if you don't like it don't read it" mantra? Do you not see the contradiction of: moderation is unnecessary grow a thicker skin, dont let your ego get in the way and --this thread makes me sick and it is a repetitve circlejerk because I say so.
    You are now the arbiter of what should and should not be discussed, asked, considered? The only thing repeated ad nauseum is convulsively ironic --your disliking of egofags.

"So you can learn what it's like to be an egofag like those who don't want to post anonymously?"

You should consider whether using a condescending tone ads anything to the point you want to convey.

I thought someone gifted with the inherent judgment of what is and what is not sarcasm, couldn't have been obtuse enough to not to see it.

"Please fill in my gaps."

Translation: Explain yourself, your arrogant scribbles are no more than unsubstantiated criticism if you fail doing so.
  3. Anonymous Member

I was going to touch on the obvious education gaps again but decided that was another circular argument that would ironically just be made into something repetitious. Not a whole lot of serious thinking going for some ITT IMHO.
  4. Anonymous Member

All of which you propose is dealing with the increasingly frequent abuse of anonymous posting and socks after the fact -- i.e fighting a symptom not finding a cure or deterrent.

Mods have better things to do than to baby sit London Drama threads. If throwing in a low barrier discouraging the persistent harassment is what it takes, all you can blame are those abusing the freedoms you once had.

You could also stop being such gigantic yet insecure dicks.
  5. Anonymous Member

Are you suggesting new users instead of solving captchas should complete an iq test? I actually like this idea.
  6. Fuckeye Member

I'm not proposing anything, this is already in place.
    In which case they're free to not bother, I really doubt London will care, if they even notice.
    I can't help my gift, bby.
  7. Re: A humble proposal.

What setting a postcount threshold for use of the anonymous function will do is make it easier for us to keep an eye on new users. As it is, it is very difficult to track if a new user is posting anonymously and using that for trolling or abuse. It might have a minuscule effect on the notion that an insulting post by Anonymous is more likely to be a spy but that's all.

It won't fix when established users abuse it to insult each other or really anything else.
  8. Miranda Member

Here's a list of what we've discussed so far. Some stuff may be missing, add it in please.

Anonymous Posting
    • Impose a far higher, "letter-of-the-law" adherence to existing standards when posting anonymously.
    • Make anonymous posting a privilege that has to be earned and can be taken away when abused. For example: you may not post anonymously until you have made 100 comments. You will lose the right to post anonymously after three infractions after which your post count goes back to zero and you start again.
    • Impose forced anon posting in YSOSRS

Bans and Infractions
    • Make moderator misbehavior infractible.
    • Rid ourselves from most infractions / rules and instead adopt a forum etiquette, as in a clear code of expected conduct. Bans would still be a last resort for those pushing the boundaries of reasonable conduct. Allow mods to infract or in some way respond to serious stuff, use guidelines or reminders for the small stuff.
    • Instead of using infractions, and adding points to an automatic ban tally, allow mods to highlight posts by handing out warnings, explaining why certain conduct is in general undesired.
    • Define "suggested conduct” with a formal list enumerating things that are not explicitly against the rules but are considered horribly annoying.

Speculation, Possible Tin Foil Forum
    • Re-purpose YSOSRS as a tin foil forum
    • Make the posts or threads copied to a tin foil forum show up as a different color or with a different icon
    • Have whatever mod is on duty mark threads copied to a tin foil forum by inserting an asterisk at the beginning of every such thread title.
    • Keep speculation publicly accessible, but with a clearly visible disclaimer: This section of the site is meant for speculation, reader discretion is advised in determining the veracity of anything said here.
    • Add a box for mods to check for speculative content, so that the post could be easily distinguished as speculative, but could still remain in the original thread.
    • Allow users and mods to designate a post as "speculation." Have that post appear in a different color, font, whatever, and let it stay in the original thread.
    • Send repeated posters of speculation a PM just saying that they're being highlighted (in burnt umber).
    • Have mods not on initial tinfoil speculation but on subsequent dead-horse-beating.
    • Allow users to put all posts flagged as Speculative on their ignore lists without adding the actual posters to their lists.
    • Move threads, not specific posts, to a tinfoil forum.
    • Move specific posts, and not threads only, to a tinfoil forum.

Other Ideas
    • Allow mods or users to update OPs with new info, links, dox, etc. on a consistent basis.
    • Make a comprehensive list of users' pet peeves
    • Create some sort of clearly visible indication of what posts aren't cool.
    • Allow users to vote thumbs up and down for individual posts.
    • Create a 'this post is retarded' community flagging button, that gives the post a corner flag - in say, burnt umber, after a few votes.
    • Add caveats in the infraction text to explain more clearly what consequences of (or really lack thereof) getting carded.
    • Add a reputation feature.
    • Add a permanent account name for trolling, rotating among various posters on a weekly/monthly basis (and done so anonymously).
    • Decrease the font size of bad posts.

Miscellaneous Annoying Things
    • Making jokes about being paid by big pharma.
    Making any jokes about getting paid to protest.
    Inserting $ anywhere into The Church of Scientology or any associated abbreviations.
    Making jokes about David Miscavige being short.
    Making jokes about David Miscavige hitting people.
    Caring about celebrity gossip.
    Making bad puns (Ie "Bridge to total freedumb." "John Ravolta," ect)
    Using any form of the word "lulz."
    Making stale jokes about the dome, such as calling it the RPF of WWP.
    • Using anonymous posting to make mean remarks
    • Stale jokes and memes
    • abuse of the 'Post Anonymously' tick box, am referring to Flaming/Trolling, Thread Spamming/Derailing and Personal Attacks etc.
    • posts or threads that are very argumentative without offering anything new
    • liberal infracting
    • infractions don't come with a big friendly message telling folk: "getting infractions is a normal part of the give and take of the site, and the mods like to play nazi sometimes, but getting butthurt over a low-value infraction just makes you look butthurt."
    • a short list of actions that would generate an automatic 1 week ban, 1 month ban or lifetime ban. Clear-cut bad behavior that can't be questioned.
    • Every one needs and wants a spanking for their digressions.
    • Why not stick an additional "infraction" list for the second grouping which isn't som much a warning or infraction, but more a label with which to highlight fuckwittery?
    • Over the line: threats/personal attacks, promoting illegal activity, misuse of sock accounts.
    • Over the line: illegality, giving away personal details, spam, importing drama.
  9. Anonymous Member

Nothing stands in the way for established repeat abusers to lose their anonymous posting privilege. With new socks having to go through an arbitrary period i think it would be a great deterrent.
  10. Anonymous Member

Good list. I would add: Mod Herro.
  11. Miranda Member

Anonymous Posting
    • Impose a far higher, "letter-of-the-law" adherence to existing standards when posting anonymously.
    • Make anonymous posting a privilege that has to be earned and can be taken away when abused. For example: you may not post anonymously until you have made 100 comments. You will lose the right to post anonymously after three infractions after which your post count goes back to zero and you start again.
    • Impose forced anon posting in YSOSRS

Bans and Infractions
    • Make moderator misbehavior infractible.
    • Rid ourselves from most infractions / rules and instead adopt a forum etiquette, as in a clear code of expected conduct. Bans would still be a last resort for those pushing the boundaries of reasonable conduct. Allow mods to infract or in some way respond to serious stuff, use guidelines or reminders for the small stuff.
    • Instead of using infractions, and adding points to an automatic ban tally, allow mods to highlight posts by handing out warnings, explaining why certain conduct is in general undesired.
    • Define "suggested conduct” with a formal list enumerating things that are not explicitly against the rules but are considered horribly annoying.
    • Infract liberally to desensitize users.
    • Infractions don't come with a big friendly message telling folk: "getting infractions is a normal part of the give and take of the site, and the mods like to play nazi sometimes, but getting butthurt over a low-value infraction just makes you look butthurt."
    • A short list of actions that would generate an automatic 1 week ban, 1 month ban or lifetime ban. Clear-cut bad behavior that can't be questioned.
    • Every one needs and wants a spanking for their digressions.
    • Why not stick an additional "infraction" list for the second grouping which isn't som much a warning or infraction, but more a label with which to highlight fuckwittery?

Speculation, Possible Tin Foil Forum
    • Re-purpose YSOSRS as a tin foil forum
    • Make the posts or threads copied to a tin foil forum show up as a different color or with a different icon
    • Have whatever mod is on duty mark threads copied to a tin foil forum by inserting an asterisk at the beginning of every such thread title.
    • Keep speculation publicly accessible, but with a clearly visible disclaimer: This section of the site is meant for speculation, reader discretion is advised in determining the veracity of anything said here.
    • Add a box for mods to check for speculative content, so that the post could be easily distinguished as speculative, but could still remain in the original thread.
    • Allow users and mods to designate a post as "speculation." Have that post appear in a different color, font, whatever, and let it stay in the original thread.
    • Send repeated posters of speculation a PM just saying that they're being highlighted (in burnt umber).
    • Have mods not on initial tinfoil speculation but on subsequent dead-horse-beating.
    • Allow users to put all posts flagged as Speculative on their ignore lists without adding the actual posters to their lists.
    • Move threads, not specific posts, to a tinfoil forum.
    • Move specific posts, and not threads only, to a tinfoil forum.

Other Ideas
    • Allow mods or users to update OPs with new info, links, dox, etc. on a consistent basis.
    • Make a comprehensive list of users' pet peeves
    • Create some sort of clearly visible indication of what posts aren't cool.
    • Allow users to vote thumbs up and down for individual posts.
    • Create a 'this post is retarded' community flagging button, that gives the post a corner flag - in say, burnt umber, after a few votes.
    • Add caveats in the infraction text to explain more clearly what consequences of (or really lack thereof) getting carded.
    • Add a reputation feature.
    • Add a permanent account name for trolling, rotating among various posters on a weekly/monthly basis (and done so anonymously).
    • Decrease the font size of bad posts.
    • Mod Herro.
    • Above all, don’t mod Herro.
    • Force-mod Herro.

Miscellaneous Annoying Things
    • Making jokes about being paid by big pharma.
    • Making any jokes about getting paid to protest.
    • Inserting $ anywhere into The Church of Scientology or any associated abbreviations.
    • Making jokes about David Miscavige being short.
    • Making jokes about David Miscavige hitting people.
    • Caring about celebrity gossip.
    • Making bad puns (Ie "Bridge to total freedumb." "John Ravolta," ect)
    Using any form of the word "lulz."
    • Making stale jokes about the dome, such as calling it the RPF of WWP.
    • Using anonymous posting to make mean remarks
    • Stale jokes and memes
    • Abuse of the 'Post Anonymously' tick box, am referring to Flaming/Trolling, Thread Spamming/Derailing and Personal Attacks etc.
    • Posts or threads that are very argumentative without offering anything new
    Herro

• Over the line: threats/personal attacks, promoting illegal activity, misuse of sock accounts.
    • Over the line: illegality, giving away personal details, spam, importing drama.
  12. Anonymous Member

Man, so repetitive and like there is no new shit being talked about and all that this is gay because i don't understand it you pompous egofags.
  13. Miranda Member

Meanie.
  14. Anonymous Member

An idea:

* When I add a user to my 'ignore list', posts by them as Anon get ignored as well.
  15. Anonymous Member

Bollocks, I've just seen the anonymity-busting flaw in my own plan. Carry on.
  16. Re: A humble proposal.

This would only work like that if the parameters for what constitutes abuse of Anonymous posting are very clearly defined.

I'm all for making this place seem more like a community and frankly abuse of the Anonymous posting feature is the biggest obstacle against that.
  17. Anonymous Member

ignore if already mention...
    stopping the first 2 replies from been anonymous, even if the OP is anonymous.
  18. Miranda Member

The problem with all of this is making definitions clear. I wish we could. It's relatively easy to do with extreme situations (illegal stuff, threats), but much harder with the "gray zone" stuff, and especially when you try to apply a rule to a real situation. Reality doesn't conform to the rules. So, guidelines rather than absolutes for the more ambiguous stuff is one way to address that problem; emphasizing moderator discretion is another. But bottom line, this is why we have human mods.
  19. sue Administrator

Could you explain the desired effect? I can see the benefit of restricting the OP from one of the milder forms of anonymous posting abuse which is: forging consensus by agreeing with yourself.
  20. sue Administrator

IT IS WORTH REPEATING THAT NOTHING NEW IS BEING DISCUSSED IN THESE CIRCLEJERK THREADS YOU HUMORLESS EGO-NAZI-FAG MODS.

-a nagging dried up cunt
  21. Re: A humble proposal.

Does someone need a hug?
  22. sue Administrator

Yeah, well I was kidding about the "dried up cunt" thing. I couldn't let you hug me, even if you begged me yet again.
  23. Anonymous Member

stopping OSABot style posts that suffocate, derail or redirect attention.
    if you want to do that then wait till the 4th post.
  24. Azazel Member

I strongly object to this, as a former WWP moderator I was paid by Big Pharma to help out here. I received $300 a week to deal with you cunts.

YOU CAN NOT CENSOR THE TRUTH, READ THIS POST BEFORE IT'S DELETED!

WE ARE GETTING PAID BY BIG PHARMA TO RUN THIS PLACE! SCIENTOLOGY WASN'T A LIE! IT REALLY DOES WORK AND HELP PEOPLE!

MY AUDITING HAS HELPED ME MORE THEN PSYCHIATRY EVER COULD!
  25. Anonymous Member

Basically letting threads gain momentum or die without it being forced in either direction through anonposting, Interesting!

Another thing worth considering is that the argument right now is: mods know who is an abusive anonposter, but the community at large does not.

Do any of you think or agree that tying anon douchebaggery directly to someones account could serve the purpose of discouraging such conduct? the idea being that eventho the mods know, they (the abusers) might not be to fond of others getting a clear(er) picture.
  26. Re: A humble proposal.

Do you want someone to touch your tra-la-la?
  27. Anonymous Member

I can see that.
  28. Re: A humble proposal.

A little lower, you're reaching for his ding-ding-dong.
  29. sue Administrator

No, i am butthurt.
  30. Anonymous Member

There is a reason why Herro is stuck in the Dome.

Herro is better off there. We are better off with Herro Domelocked. Maybe one of Herro's socks already is a mod? I wouldn't know to be honest. I just know it couldn't have happened to a nicer [STRIKE]troll[/STRIKE] person...

Stop asking or suggesting Herro needs to be a mod.
  31. thereckoning Member

How about making it an infraction to mindless repeat in a parrot like way the same anti COS crap that's been said on this message board millions of times before because the poster doesn't have the brains to come up with an original idea.
  32. Anonymous Member

Are you saying you can't tell whether herro is a mod or not? I thought herro was this obvious disturbing force, --if he was a mod you could certainly have told which one. Right?

Maybe that is the reason he has been domelocked. People like you complaining about him, or accusing posters that challenge a point of view of being Herro.
  33. Anonymous Member

Well of course we can't hug you sue, you're so fat we could never get our arms around you.
  34. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Hey... That just means there is moar there to love! Sue is a good mod and I'd hug her if she wanted. She probably deserves one reading all this crap all day long...

Behold Godwin's Internet Law in action: This thread went from making a Tinfoil Dome to put speculation in to potentially molesting our mods...

This is why I love this place... Or why I need to get professional help...
  35. Re: A humble proposal.

I agree with the proposals.
  36. Anonymous Member

Which ones, some of them contradict others.
  37. Re: A humble proposal.

do you have 100 posts?
  38. Skeptic1337 Member

I said it to d5 ages ago. if you want anon posting to work "correctly" you should make it at the thread level.

Meaning if the thread is "anon" all posts are anonymous. If the thread is not anon no posts are anonymous.

If a thread evolves from needing to have user names associated with it, the users can simply "sign" their posts from that point forward or start a new one with anonymous turned off.

That and make starting threads to be in one or two places and then mods can be useful and move them to the appropriate sub forum once the content is divined. Instead of being nazi mods that sensor speech.

Satisfies all those with delicate sensibilities who can't handle posting in a thread where they don't have a username to attribute praise or condemnation and still allows for "idea/kill the ego/OSA will kill me" threads to be started.

Simple then nuke the infraction system and just issue temp bans / perm for inappropriate posting (ie violence/doxing).

Your life is simpler your mods become the janitors they should be and no one needs to feel any one else is on a power trip.

As to why I say only allow new threads in a few places is so that they can have some eyeballs till a mod gets around to moving it, increasing contribution.

Also can you put some more lipstick on the pig.
  39. thereckoning Member

Now if I had said that there would be enough red on the right side of that post to make you think it was Christmas.
  40. Anonymous Member

XDD this rhymes but I am starting to wonder if we are confusing a key component to his/hers essence.

Better make it 120-250 posts.

OP can receive infractions for incorrectly labling their threads. Or given warnings for since they could be new, however they still would get an infraction for starting speculation without not yet reaching 120 posts.

I would hate to see a good OP be punished for speculation that occurs in the thread.

No posting speculation or anonymously until 120 posts.

If implemented, include appropriate HTML in the code that designates the post's layers as id='speculation' or class='speculation', or some such for the client to change how the post is displayed.

Just put in an icon in the post icon, those who fail to check the icon can recive one infraction for tinfoil speculation, one for failing to check the icon that alerts readers of tinfoil speculation, one for posting in the incorrect forrum, and finally one for speculation while not having reached at least 120 posts.

If implimented, those who are allowed to vote will be of a healthy age of 500 posts. Or create a caucus of trusted members that have met all requirements, reputation, posts and various contributions.

Those who make releavent post and useful posts can be rewarded with points by mods, whom may also take away such points.

One of the best ideas, to bad the mods will all still have to see these.

This could lead to some very strange behavior, instead disallow anon posting in such subforums and threads.

Those who have reached a very stringent score of 35 or above get to post, 100 lets you post anonymously. This would also be the first of its kind that I know of. This should filter most of the shit posters.