Customize

A Book About Anonymous

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Alan Smithee, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Alan Smithee Member

I'm a professional writer and I recently had an idea concerning Anonymous. I've been thinking about it a lot. It occurred to me that there are no books being published about Anonymous. Currently, there is nothing in print that is a comprehensive history of Anonymous. I realized that this is practically inevitable.

This movement is garnering a lot of media attention. Forgive me if I'm being too blunt, but Anonymous is making extremely ballsy moves. You are playing a high stakes game, and for that reason, I believe it is only a matter of time before a book, if not many books, are written about you.

I'll level with you, Anonymous. I am in the beginning stages of my career and you haven't heard of anything I've written. I recently wrote a counter-culture leaning sci-fi novel and self published it through Amazon Kindle. After that lengthy project, I am ready to do something new, and I would be honored if you would give me your blessing to write a book about Anonymous.

Nature abhors a vacuum. For that reason, I believe it is only a matter of time before someone writes a book about Anonymous, with or without your consent. Perhaps they are writing it as I type this. What I want to do is write a book about Anonymous with your full cooperation. I want to write a chronicle of your history, from the formative stages when you emerged from the chaos of the chans, to your rise to power that continues in the present day.

I want to take a journalistic approach to Anonymous and interview members, who are far more knowledgeable about your history than me, to hear your story firsthand. I don't want to merely describe Anonymous and its impact on society from the outside; I want to hear your side of the story.

Think of this project as a sort of autobiography of a meme. The general public has a vague concept of who you are, and media like the infamous Fox news segment is indicative of the kind of portrayal you can expect to receive. What I want to do is present your story as you see it, without taking your side, but without judging you as well. I want to present your history in your own words, because if you don't, you can be guaranteed that someone else will.

I have no desire to do this without your blessing. I have no desire to be in Anonymous after this introduction. I don't want to do anything illegal or describe anything illegal in print. I don't want to out any members of Anonymous, but I do very much want to interview and talk to you so that I can better understand your point of view. That necessitates that you approve of this project, this "Book of Anon", and are willing to allow me to continue with the idea.

I have no doubt that you can find me if you're interested in what I'm saying. You can message me on this forum, and I would appreciate any advice on more appropriate places to post this message. I would be happy to send you my work so that you can evaluate whether or not you think I am right for this project.

Finally, I just want to stress that I am fascinated by Anonymous as a movement and I just want to describe you in the most accurate way possible so that people can read the closest representation of your history. I'll leave you with a quote from Thomas Jefferson: "Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error." Only by having an authorized autobiography of the Anonymous meme that freely explores your past can you be safeguarded against mistakes you might make in the future.

Regards,

Alan Smithee
    Anonymous
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AnonBean Member

To really feel the anonymous movement go along to some protest's. :)
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

Pretty much start reading and using the SEARCH function as this has been thrashed to death already numerous times here and elsewhere.

As for any sort of 'approval', lol, ya either gets it or ya don't, the amount of research you do will show, and if you get it 'wrong' you'll get raeped, and if you get it right..... ditto.

Welcome and good luck with your project.
    I do like the concept you propose but as the saying goes, sort of like herding cats and such~ and yes, yer welcome to PM me if you so wish and I'd be happy to reiterate my thoughts, meagre as they are.

Cheers!
  4. LocalSP Member

Begin here /b/
  5. Anonymous Member

do i get royalties? you know, from one writer to another.
    just kidding.
    personally, at this point, the only person i would trust to do an "authorized" write up would be the talented Mr. Paul Haggis.
  6. Anon-V Member

I would say just come along to some protests and right about your experiences and just lurk moar.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Miranda Member

You might also research what has already been written about Anonymous, both by journalists and by academics. I would be very surprised if there weren't already a few such projects in the works. But in my opinion, it would be hard to write an accurate book on the topic without having been pretty deeply involved in it yourself. There are many good reasons for the fact that many Anonymous people might not be inclined to give interviews.
  8. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 9
  9. Anon-V Member

It would also be hard in my opinion to right what anonymous truly is because it means something different to everyone. To some it may be a way to express themselves, to others it may be a way to waste time. You really have to be a part of it.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. none given Member

FYI Anonymous, OP is a well known movie director. Google it.
    Smithee, the users named sue, consensus and myself would likely be good resources. There has been a lot of turn-over in the last three years and there are few of us originals left.
  11. Anonymous Member

Yup. Full agreement with this. If it isn't gonzo journalism, it probably isn't gonna work. And William S. Burroughs & Hunter S. Thompson have left the building.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Anonymous Member

LOL^^^ that was good, Auntie Social.
  13. Anonymous Member

14. Anonymous Member

15. Anonymous Member

This. It's going to be extremely difficult to write a book about Anonymous that comes anywhere close to what it's all about. Anonymous is everyone and no one. Anonymous is fluid and as quick as we can type. Anonymous rose up out of the chans and yet we fight one of the most evil cults in the world. You can be Anonymous one day and then be gone the next day and nothing of value would be lost.
    If you do write something I would be very upset if respect wasn't given to /b/. We ride their coattails.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. veravendetter Member

• Like Like x 7
  17. xenubarb Member

But we have ether and will also smoke you out if that's what you need...
    • Like Like x 2
  18. xenubarb Member

O RLY. And what the fuck does Paul Haggis know about Anonymous?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. xenubarb Member

Parts of this site are dedicated to the Scientology thing. We have expanded the site to encompass various rebellions over there (points)
    and the huge problem of keeping jackholes like H.B.Gary honest.

The Chanology section is comprised of OG, ex-Sci and anons. We seem to work together well for the most part. I like Miranda. And bacon.
    • Like Like x 6
  20. BSE Member

21. Anonymous Member

I liek old punks with rats.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. zudok Member

Tl;dr
  23. Jeff Jacobsen Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. xenubarb Member

If you are interested in the accomplishments of Chanology, a couple of our recent victims subjects can be found by googling John Mappin Camelot Castle Hotel Carly Crutchfield. There are certainly others who deserve our love, but we haven't yet turned over their rocks.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. WhiteNight Member

Meh.
    Gonna be a short book if the organisations of the world have their way.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

Kk, ain't this the part where the OP starts to talk?

Dunno> *duh*
  27. Anonymous Member

Isn't this NSFW?

It's okay with me, because I'm reserve military, no I mean I don't even have a job but... oh, yeah... self-employed...Fuggedaboudit.
  28. Anonymous Member

Hurt a cat and post it on teh 4chanz. The results will give you all the info you need.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Alan Smithee Member

After talking with some people who were kind enough to message me, I've decided that I posted this letter too hastily and I'm not going to go forward with this project. I'm just not the right guy to tackle a subject this huge.

Although I've decided not to pursue this, I still think that it's a really interesting idea to consider. Books are going to be written about Anonymous, that much is almost guaranteed. It's just not the right project for me at this stage in my career. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my self indulgent drivel, I hope that you guys are intrigued about the idea and that someone else will carry it forward.
    • Like Like x 5
  30. Anonymous Member

Thank you, Alan...
    You're welcome at our party anytime.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Major Boyle Member

Alan Smithee is a pseudonym used by Hollywood Directors who get honked off at a film's production mess so they sign their names to the credits using the Alan Smithee name.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Major Boyle Member

OP, if you really want to do a book, start with the OG, all the cult abuses, the whackiness of L Ron Hubbard (who shelled Mexico during WW2 and tried to get his mother to conceive the antichrist, etc.)
  33. Anonymous Member

Yes. Such nice manners, so nice to behold, after the recent invasions of rudeness.
  34. Anonymous Member

35. themadhair Member

Anyone claiming to be a source of knowledge, or giving advice about who/what is a good source of knowledge, is likely unreliable.

InAfterHugeInternalInconsistency
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Miranda Member

I like xenubarb. And her little rat, too.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. Anonymous Member

38. Anonymous Member

Ask questions - receive bacon answers?
  39. dvybeyond Member

any book written about anonymous and was not written by an anonymous/ written by someone with no connections to anonymous will be crap
  40. xenubarb Member

Well he ain't gonna write it. I'm not even sure it's all that interesting to the public. A bunch of people got together on the internet and some stuff happened. Then they expanded their interests to moar causes, and moar stuff happened.

Prognosis, moar to come.
    • Like Like x 1