Customize

3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order (Digg link in OP)

Discussion in 'Media' started by googoomuck, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnonEFG12365 Member

Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

Didn't February tenth prove otherwise?

If anything we are Scientology's shadow. always there, whether they know it or not.
  2. Anorumi Member

OMG the idiocy! I want to laugh so hard, except I can't. People are watching. :lol:

As an aside, can people actually file restraining orders against groups? Say PETA or somesuch?
  3. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

Two things: One, pretty sure they can only file a restraining order against an individual or members of a group that have actually demonstrated they will violate rights or trespass on property. We haven't done that, we're legally safe.

Second: They don't have enoug individual names to restrain most of the protestors, and filing a restraining order against members of the organisation Anonymous won't work because we all have plausible deniability ("a friend of mine told me about this protest and gave me a mask, but i don't consider myself part of anonymous. i mean, i have a name and everything. it's david.")
  4. Plups Member

This is the BEST news! CoS trying yet again to squash freedom of expression, and doing so in a way calculated to get us plenty of good coverage.

Haven't they learnt yet not to speak to the http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/12/Northpinellas/Scientology_fights_ba.shtml
  5. fr33lanc3anon Member

anyone set up a digg of this yet? it would help get the news around when people dont believe the whole cos and lawsuits thing.
  6. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

There is no way they have the names of the majority of people, and they cannot put a restraining order against all of you without legal names afaik, so good luck to them and god speed, and if they somehow do manage to we, we know just how deep the corruption goes, and maybe some lawfag can take it up with the Florida BAR.
  7. Clamosaurus Member

How many more people are just now pulling back the curtian on the cult, after this latest report?
    10, 100, 1000, moar?

This is why the cult cannot ever win. For every victory they percieve, it eventuates into a footbullet.

Watch and enjoy, my suppressive friends and marcabian infiltrators.

You are creating history.

Now, lets all enjoy the cake :wink:
  8. anonawog Member

Scientology may be trying to get an injunction against any permit to protest. From ars:

http://tinyurl.com/ysoqfp

... although they might take the route of getting
    an injunction against 'anonymous individuals'. I'm not sure they can
    legally do that, but if they did, it would require the police to
    arrest anyone who showed up to protest... I'm going to go to the
    courthouse in the morning and see if I can't get a look at their
    filings... AFAIK there is a permit for saturday's protest, so no way
    they can stop that, this action probably concerns the protest at Ruth
    Eckerd Hall, which is clear across town...
  9. anonEmouser Member

Could they be trying to get a pocketed judge to recognize "The group known as Anonymous" as opposed to "anonymous persons"?

Never mind that it may not be airtight, if it gets passed then the scilons get breathing room and can claim a "win" to their "parishioners"--a very very badly needed win in a sea of fail, but whatever.

They may also go the "John Doe" route, but I don't know how well that works for protests.

But remember--they got cops to move Shawn away from their buildings even though he wasn't a member of the Lisa McPherson Trust (the target of their last clearwater injunction).
  10. AnonyMama Member

I live in the land where the vile Westboro Baptist church likes to hang out, protesting funerals, etc. The only restraining orders anyone's been able to get against them have been only to limit their access, distance-wise, from an event. And then, they usually are only 100 feet away. I use this example, not because I am a lawyer or anything, but:

1. Everyone knows the names of the Phelps family and their minions. So, the restraining orders in those situations are actually tied to specific individuals or to the identifiable name of their church. Anonymous IS anonymous. Even if Co$ had 1, 2, or 100 names -- there are many of us whose names they don't have, and therefore can't usurp our right to free speech. The people named could stay away - and the rest of us would take their place. I could go, even with a mask, and I doubt the police could arrest me if I gave them my name - As an individual, I wouldn't be named by the plaintiff.

2. Westboro spews message of hate, racism, etc. with the goal not to educate but to intimidate. Anonymous, on the other hand, has ample documentation in public forums of their intent to educate the public, etc. etc. Anyone visiting this board, for example, can tell the true intentions...which is why many of us older Noobs have come forward recently - we all lurked moar before joining in. Let's say Co$ really HAS received threats, and they really DO know who has made them. Could be a rogue anonymous that we wouldn't want representing the protest anyway.

3. If my son died in the Iraqi war, and our Constitution allows the hate-mongering protest of Westboro bigots at my son's funeral, then I am not sure legally how any court could issue an injunction against anyone for a peaceful demonstration to educate/provide information. They may ask Anon to remain X number of feet away from the entrance, but I am not sure they can just say - don't protest. Oh - and Westboro losers don't even bring cake.

4. Any civil liberties lawyer would salivate at the opportunity for this one. A restraining order of any kind could actually be a good way to get more of the public, and the media engaged...and enraged. This is the thing that law school case studies and Lifetime Channel movies are made from. "Banned from picketing: the John..er...Stacy..er.. Anonymous Story." (You have to watch Lifetime to get that dumb joke, probably.)
  11. Plups Member

I suppose they might try to enjoin the police force to rescind the protest permit.
  12. HailXenu79 Member

The Church of Scientology is actually trying to subvert the First Amendment... I'd say I didn't believe it, but nothing surprises me these days.

But just think about it:

The are actually trying to suppress our unalienable rights, as citizens of the United States, our right to peaceably assemble. As far as I know, nothing untoward happened in the last protest in Clearwater, so they have no case. If they have proof that individuals have threatened their church, they should take specific legal actions against those involved. But this is just an attempted subversion of the Constitution, plain and simple. This proves again that the Church of Scientology is, quite simply and undeniably, anti-free speech.

Someone make a digg for this. I know the Scilons have been burying a lot of CoS stories, but I have to believe that this is one story *everyone* can get behind!

EDIT: Also, they're breaking their own damn "Youth for Human Rights" rule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37zD6a1g1I
  13. acis Member

knowledge is free. as is speech.
  14. anonawog Member

more info from ars

http://tinyurl.com/ysoqfp

15. acis Member

afraid scientologists are afraid.
  16. eclipsael Member

17. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

C'mon guys! Where's the digg to this? The Eurofags are awake so they can digg it for us and as everyone wakes up, we can all digg it. I mean, wtf?! Injunction against freedom of speech? Are they idiots? Hello! FIRST AMENDMENT!

Link above for case docket not working.

Thanks for the digg!
  18. anmoyunos Member

The problem here is that Marcabians have no rights as US citizens.
  19. acis Member

access has been disabled :xenu:
  20. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

Soo, what should we be known as now?

An0nymous maybe?. Same spelling, different group, same members to.
  21. HailXenu79 Member

22. Skeptic1337 Member

Once we get the dox on this, we need to digg this hard I mean front page news on digg and find who the idiot judge who violated florida constitution.

The lulz of this as of epic proportion.

And if it's a sealed restraining order that is even more lulzy :)

Don't they have to serve them to be enforceable?
  23. stuwyatt Member

I am laughing so hard at the moment.

How the hell can someone file a restraining order against unnamed people? Anonymous is not a centralised group or organisation... They are really clutching at straws, they are desperate... they really fear us now :)

:lrhcries:
  24. Veritas Member

Can a mod please sticky this with a link to the digg article? We need to spread the word about this latest attempt to silence critics!
  25. eclipsael Member

Resplorted.
  26. Skeptic1337 Member

Question for you legalfags do local courts propagate civil matters to PACER?

It's been ages since I went on there.
  27. Erra Member

Decentralization ftw yet again
  28. anonawog Member

screen shot of the case docket for restraining order
  29. AnonymousTV Member

Fine then, I am hereby petitioning to file a restraining order against the association of people known as "al queda". Welp! That should do it!

:lol:

I'm sure this will end well.
  30. Bewbies Member

Protip: The ACLU will fight tooth and nail for one's right to protest.

(As much as I dislike the group.)
  31. Skeptic1337 Member

That's hilarious. Who'd they serve it to...so many lulz an association of people known as anonymous. buahahahaha
  32. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

That screengrab is lulzy.

Except the problem is, I'm not a card carrying member of Anonymous. I'm in that other group -- Pseudonymous.
  33. Skeptic1337 Member

I guess pinellas county is the only court in the nation where they have a judge in their pocket.

The CoS, the gift that keeps on giving.

Hello footbullet.
  34. HeyNonnyNonny Member

The thing is, can't pretty much anyone say "Well, I read about the protests on this flier I saw at the bus stop. Those anonymous folks apparently can't make it. Too bad for them, I guess. I'm just a concerned citizen."?
  35. Re: 3/12 SP Times: CoS files restraining order

This is perfect: if it doesn't go through, they pretty much pointed an RPG at a hokey pokey circle and blew every Scientologist's left foot off - and if it does go through the righteous wrath of every civil rights lawyer, every First Amendment junkie, every ACLU wannabe group, every "concerned observer", every conservative politician (that's mah consteetooshun!), every liberal politician (protest is an unalienable right!), and every single judge who's ever taken a Scilon court case DESCENDS UPON THEM!
  36. Skeptic1337 Member

Alright sending this off to them

http://www.aclufl.org/get_help/index.cfm

Any one in florida want to call them in the morning?

I'm off to sleep, my ACLU form is sent and they have "contact" info well at least an email.

Be back tomorrow night!
  37. Ivlesin Member

Exactly.
  38. googoomuck Member

We need a press release on this. Go go go!
  39. Space Cadet Member

Scientology does have an injunction against membes of Lisa McPherson Trust or anyone associated with members of this group preventing them from protesting / harassing Scientology in Florida. Something to this effect anyway.

I do not have exact details at hand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.