Customize

1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged

Discussion in 'Media' started by GuardiansOrifice, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major Boyle Member

Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged

You may be right that this was the case but I could swear this happened more recently like 15 years ago. I'll see if I can google some info.
  2. ChefXenu Member

I'm dubious as to whether "true justice" exists in this world, but as I said before, I sincerely hope the victim's family makes a fortune on film and TV rights to the story, since it is unlikely (but I can still hope) they will collect from the cult. It would make an awesome true-crime movie/miniseries.

edit: also, contents of the briefcase entered=OT VII is court record=win
  3. ChefXenu Member

[devil's advocate]everyone deserves a defence, even if they are stupid enough to drive their family into bankruptcy in pursuit of super powaz.[/devil's advocate]
  4. Anonymous Member

Why would the cult have to give them money?
  5. Major Boyle Member

6. ChefXenu Member

Civil suit for the roll they played in driving G-Rex to commit premeditated homicide?

edit: of course that would likely be several years down the road...
  7. Anonymous Member

Yeah that's why I'm hoping there's evidence of a second criminal charge that might pull in the FBI --e.g., an email about the "Ciancio problem" between a Fowler Software employee and a Scientologist in another state maybe. Or evidence of a CMO visiting Fowler shortly before the murder.

How often are we gonna get these windows of opportunities to peek into RTC?
  8. WTF Member

9. thetanic Member

Completely agreed. He should pay. I'd like to hear the court requiring the return of donations, actually.
  10. Anonymous Member

I wasn't a registrar, but I did work in Treasury, so I did work with people and their budgets and saw people completely wrecked by registrars, but I didn't see any where health insurance was canceled specifically. Most people I worked with had insurance through their work, though.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened, not one bit.
  11. Anonymous Member

Remember, the Ciancio family has strong legal connections in Adams County (dad =former judge, and sister - former prosecutor), which also obviously implies legal expertise.

When they file a civil suit for damages, it sounds like GRex will be hard pressed to defend himself, and will almost certainly lose. Since GREX will most likely be bankrupt by then, the Ciancio's will probably also sue the church of scientology. THAT will be most interesting!
  12. JMBrandon Member

How many people have DIED TO CANCER because the tech is a worthless piece of trash?
    no better than 'Christian Scientists'...
    Faith and Science do NOT go hand in hand...
    Idiots who are sick need to see a REAL DOCTOR... then again, if they're too stupid to do so... gene pool could use the chlorine...
  13. Anonymous Member

Haven't there been some posts about Fowler owning some real estate?
  14. grebe Member

My first reaction to this: anxiety for the mom and kids. Imagine if Paulette Cooper had kids and the Scientology plant spent a year becoming best buddies with one of them.

My next thought was: that is so fucked up, that I had the above thought.

America needs more outrage over "fair game" and using the legal system abusively.
  15. XenuEtrawl Member

I'm guessing that they probably hadn't yet told her about the "contains no confidential data" statement by Rex, so she was assuming that it did, and was flipping out for that reason. And I'm sure that she, OSA, and everyone else on that side of the aisle, would always be happy for the prosecution to have less data, rather than more, regardless of the value of that data.

Rex said "no confidential data," and I can't see why so many posters just assume that he must have been lying. Why?!? He seems to have been planning it for at least a day, he could easily have locked up the confidential stuff at home. If he had overlooked anything, the office shredder could have handled that for him on the morning of the 30th.

I still have hope that there might have been something in there related to Ciancio, whether it was mention of a problem, ARC break, withhold, or related to PTSness. Especially PTSness - Rex might have wanted to convey to the CoS that he was an hero who was protecting them, and humanity at large, from an SP.

But, even were that the case, no person without scilon training could get much clear meaning out of most auditing worksheets, and I doubt that the DA will be hiring an ex as an expert witness to decode them.

Still, we can always hope.
  16. Anonymous Member

Yes it does, pretty often. Churches run hospitals, and people pray that their cures will work. Actually, prayer can help keep spirits up. It's the minority of cases, a too large minority, granted, where faith and science conflict that we hear most about, and rightly so. If a priest tells you to not see a doctor, RUN out of there and get a new priest.

Anyway, why are we talking about religion in a thread about Scientology?
  17. Anonymous Member

Hopefully it won't proceed out of the gate like the OJ trail....
    Yesterday already I thought the briefcase was like the bloody glove.
  18. JMBrandon Member

touche' on some points-
    either way, scientologists and such are putting misplaced faith that their quackery will work.
    I am in no way making any cheap shots at doctors and nurses who work for religions.
    I hold in high regard the saying "God helps those who help themselves."
    That's where science comes in... but now I'm going in circles...
    anyways, CoS needs to gtfo of Haiti... more quickly, anyways...
  19. JohnnyRUClear Member

The SP Times deserves a special thanking just for wading through the woo in interviewing so many "independent" Scientologists for their reports.

Fairly rarely, but they will occur as long as there is an RTC -- IOW, this could be the last one. :)
  20. eddieVroom Member

NBC certainly could use the ratings. And they may still be shopping for Summer season programming material. I can picture a four-week Dateline Miniseries.

He's probably got it mortgaged to death to pay for his Bridge.
  21. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged

MinneapolisBridgeCollapseAssocia-1.jpg.gif
  22. Anonymous Member

What role?

What are they going to sue the cult for?

America needs to be outraged because you're paranoid?
  23. Ogsonofgroo Member

Put. The. Brain. Back. In. The. Jar..........
  24. Anonymous Member

LOL
  25. LocalSP Member

I wonder if GRex is allowed visitors, say like clergy from a certain cult like religion
  26. grebe Member

LOL, paperbag over head dude.
  27. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged

Does "Confessional Privilege" even apply to written documents? I thought it just meant that priests can't be called to testify about what was told to him in confession. When you go to confessional with a priest, he isn't taking notes for later use. (IAnal)
  28. Anonymous Member

I LOVE how Denver Posts KEEP's using Jan's quote!
    THEY KNOW!
  29. Ogsonofgroo Member

That is a very good question/point Guardo, especially when you consider how much evidence has been forth-coming about how much of CoS auditing is recorded/video'd (oh why would that be Cult?), pause, (smile . (this has been beat to death a couple of times here btw, some interesting stuff imo too)
    By law here priests must testify and give evidence, if its a serious crime, which makes sense. Saying nothing about a murder, for example, may bring, um, with-holding evidence, obstruction, collusion, interfering, and some deep moral and ethical issues within the confessor, blah-blah.

I look at it this way.
    The person you give your darkest sekrits to must be trusted not to give them to others, when a victims of your confession is not your mom 'r dad, off to the 'priest' you go, mosly one you know.
    The 'priest' will know the sekrits what bother you and give you penitence/what ever, cult will keep it all as psychological leverage to keep you in line.
    I have yet to see a CoS-LRon anything admonishing people to go and make things right with those they have hurt, hug people moar, or go have some fun and cake with your friends, accept who they are.
    The total mindfuck of Hubbard has no equals but, there's lots of contenders. None are welcomed by me or my family.

Back on topic, hm, cult fucks up your mind, then takes you money, then fucks with it some more, then takes more monies, then fucks with it some more, then you either pay more, leave, or die. Belh, gettting too tired to get into it, but they really are a mest up bunch, it ain'y gonna change real soon afaics.
    Fuck you cult of CoS ($)!

Meh, rant for the evening? No idea.
  30. basil Member

The last I heard in this thread was that it was immediate family members only.

Of course, that may have changed as things have developed.
  31. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged

32. tikk Member

Most statutes, including Colorado's, protect "communications," which naturally encompasses more than oral testimony. That said, let's look at the Colorado priest-penitent statute:

Clearly the statute contemplates a scenario other than the hypothetical one here, where Fowler, or Scientology, would assert the privilege over OT7 session notes. But judges will generally interpret any defense or privilege grounded in religion in the broadest possible terms, because anything too narrow would be vulnerable to appeal on the grounds that such an interpretation violates the establishment clause by favoring one religion over another.

Thus, with regard to the Colorado statute and a hypothetical privilege assertion over OT7 session notes by Fowler or Scientology, they would argue that the "clergy member, minister, priest, or rabbi" is unnecessary to assert the privilege; the 'clergy member' here is no one specific person (or perhaps it's the Case Supervisor) but rather is implied where Scientology administers/dictates the form and substance over which those session notes are written.

One of the purposes of the privilege is to protect the penitent's right against self-incrimination, which right won't fall so easily merely because the communication was written instead of spoken.

And before everyone jumps in with "well, Scientology isn't a religion...", I'll note that even if the Church of Scientology were to lose its tax exempt status tomorrow, its adherents would still be able to assert the privilege, because a group's 'religiosity' is distinct from its recognition as a church by the IRS. The courts here have long held to a definition of religion so broad as to permit nearly any belief system, and that definition isn't affected by the IRS's recognition of a group as an exempt entity. Even if the belief system is malignant, the malignancy can't be examined by a Court, the only real question is the sincerity of the adherents, and I think most exes would agree that they were never not sincere.

Ignoring what I said above, I think a good argument could be made that the privilege doesn't apply here: that session notes are simply a diary (which have long been held as not privileged) which happen to concern religious beliefs, which the statute doesn't contemplate. In other words, session notes are not communications--they're voluntary, possibly incriminating, statements. I imagine that Scientology can likely claim either full or partial title to the session notes, however (perhaps some ex-OTs can help me out here--what would a member embarking on OT7 sign?), and they'd likely fight something like this tooth and nail.
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Anonymous Member

Flag Service Org Confidentiality Agreement, Advanced Technology (2000+)
    [SPOILER]Church of Scientology
    Flag Service Organization
    (hereinafter referred to as "FSO")
    Confidentiality Agreement
    I,_________________________________(Parishioner") HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE that I am
    voluntarily applying to participate in RELIGIOUS SERVICES which involve the delivery or study of
    certain information or materials (the "Advanced Technology," referred to below) that are strictly
    confidential and are only made available to me based upon my understanding and agreement to
    respect and preserve their confidentiality forever in accordance with the provisions of this
    Agreement.
    The purpose of this Agreement between Parishioner and Church of Scientology Flag Service
    Organization, Inc. (hereinafter "FSO") a non-profit religious corporation, is to preserve the
    confidentiality of the upper level scriptures of the Scientology religion which will be made
    available to Parishioner during his/her participation in any religious services in accordance with
    the policies, practices and scriptures of the Scientology religion and the terms and conditions of
    this Agreement.
    RECITALS:
    A. L. Ron Hubbard is the Founder of the Scientology religion. The writings and recorded and
    spoken words of Mr. Hubbard regarding the religion and the administration of the ecclesiastical
    hierarchy of the Churches of Scientology are hereinafter referred to as 'the Scientology
    Scriptures.' Included in the Scientology Scriptures is a substantial body of copyrighted,
    confidential upper level religious writings (collectively, the "Advanced Technology") that has
    never been duly published and has been duly disseminated, soley to certain authorized
    Churches of Scientology, including FSO, for narrowly defined usage by select, qualified
    parishioners or staff in connection with authorized spiritual counselling and training. The
    Advanced Technology includes the L Rundowns, Power, R6EW, Clearing Course, Clear
    Certainty Rundown, Sunshine Rundown, NOTs and Solo NOTs and the OT courses 1-VIII, and
    the Class VIII-XII Auditor and C/S courses. FSO has information and materials comprising
    certain of the Advanced Technology which constitute valuable proprietary matters protected by
    intellectual property and other law, and makes it available only to qualified parishioners in
    stages or gradients, under secure conditions. Certain of these courses are Solo auditor courses,
    in which the Parishioner will study the advanced materials of that level and then audit him or
    herself.
    B. FSO has been authorized, in strict accordance with certain conditions and limitations
    regarding such matters as reproduction, distribution, production of derivative works, and use
    and disclosure of the Advanced Technology, to make appropriate information, material and
    works within the Advanced Technology available to those parishioners who have attained
    specified levels of spiritual advancement within the Scientology religion and who are otherwise
    qualified pursuant to certain ethical and religious standards. In accordance with Church policy, to
    study, utilize or receive counseling involving the Advanced Technology. As it has been
    determined that the Parishioner is now qualified for limited access, usage or spiritual counseling
    and training involving certain of the Advanced Technology in order to continue his/her religious
    and spiritual advancement, the parties hereby agree as follows:
    AGREEMENT
    1. The Recitals are hereby made part of this Agreement and are acknowledged to be true.
    2. Parishioner has seen the film "Orientation" and is informed and aware and fully understands
    that Scientology is a religion, that its teachings are religious, and that its claims are religious
    in
    nature. Parishioner is further informed and aware and fully understands that by participating in
    Scientology services, the Parishioner is participating in religious services under the
    ecclesiastical
    principles of the Scientology religion. Parishioner is also informed and aware and fully
    understands that church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, Inc. is one of many entities
    serving the purposes of the Scientology religion, is a distinct legal corporation which is (a)
    independently operating and responsible for its own corporate and ecclesiastical affairs and (b>
    licensed by and entity of the Scientology religion to minister, including, where applicable,
    granting access to the Advanced Technology to qualified Parishioners, and that the revenues
    derived therefrom are a significant means of support for the Scientology religion. Accordingly,
    Parishioner acknowledges that compliance with all the terms and conditions of this Agreement
    is a fundamental obligation of Parishioner, the honoring of which is essential and critical to the
    functioning of the Scientology religion.
    3. Upon Parishioner's signature on this Agreement, signifying his/her complete assent to all
    terms and conditions of confidentiality and non-disclosure with respect to the Advanced
    Technology, and conditioned upon Parishioner's ongoing compliance with all prerequisites and
    requirements, including but not limited to signing his/her Enrollment Agreement, in accordance
    with applicable policies as adopted by FSO, FSO shall provide and authorize the limited use of
    certain Advanced Technology information, materials and works in connection with the delivery
    of religious services to Parishioner in the manner specified in the Scientology Scriptures.
    Parishioner acknowledges that the term "non-disclosure" as used in this Agreement restricts any
    use or disclosure of the Advanced Technology to solely that use and disclosure expressly
    authrized for Parishioner by applicable Scientology policies which Parishioner shall be required
    to study before having access to any Advanced Technology materials. Such authorized use and
    disclosure shall be as necessary for Parishioner to receive Scientology services. Parishioner
    further acknowledges that FSO is being induced to make certain Advanced Technology and
    underlying and related information, material and works available for use in connection with
    Parishioner's religious study and training based upon Parishioner's promise of full and faithful
    compliance with all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
    4. Parishioner specifically acknowledges and agrees that the Advanced Technology, and the
    ministering thereof (including but not limited to the information, material and works of the
    Advanced Technology for which he/she qualifies in connection with religious study and training,
    whether ministered to Parishioner by others qualified to do so within FSO or made available to
    Parishioner for inspection and study in secure circumstances by FSO):
    (a) constitutes confidential and proprietary information, the rights to which are owned by FSO's
    licensor,
    (b) is only to be used and referred to by Parishioner in a manner authorized by the express terms
    of this Agreement, the Scientology Scriptures themselves and applicable policies which, from
    time to time, shall be made know to Parishioner:
    (c> shall only be used by Parishioner in connection with authorized religious services or study
    and shall not be used in any way that is not expressly authorized by this Agreement or by
    applicable policies or the Scientology Scriptures, which from time to time, shall be made known
    to, and studied by, Parishioner.
    (d) shall not be disclosed, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, in any form or medium, to
    any person or organization;
    (e) shall not entitle Parishioner to any right to possess (except during periods of Parishioner's
    use
    to receive Scientology services as may be authorized, from time to time, by FSO), any copies or
    materials embodying or comprising any of the information, materials or works within the
    Advanced Technology;
    (f) shall only be made available at the appropriate levels which Parishioner is qualified to receive
    in connection with religious services, training or counseling and then, only within the confines of
    designated secure locations under circumstances in which Parishioner has agreed not to retain,
    copy or otherwise duplicate any of the information, materials or works comprising the Advanced
    Technology; and
    (g) shall not entitle Parishioner, directly or indirectly, to duplicate, summarize, prepare works
    derived from or based upon, or recreate any of the information, materials or works comprising
    the Advanced Technology, in whole or in part, in any form or medium, including but not limited
    to making, using, disclosing or otherwise disseminating photocopies or other reproductions,
    notes, reconstructions or summaries, including by electronic reproduction, storage,
    dissemination or transmission, including computer readable storage or transmission via the
    internet, or any other electronic media, now or hereafter known. All of the foregoing is strictly
    prohibited by this Agreement, Scientology Scriptures and applicable law.
    5. Parishioner shall protect and maintain the confidentiality of, and rigorously comply with this
    Agreement's non-disclosure and non-use duties with respect to all information, materials and
    works comprising all or any part of the Advanced Technology that is revealed to Parishioner by
    any means.
    6. Except for Parishioner's own advancement in the Scientology religion, and to the extent
    Parishioner, in the capacity as a staff member, may be authorized by FSO or by another
    Advanced Church of Scientology to impart the Advanced Technology to other parishioners.
    Parishioner shall not, by this agreement or otherwise, have any rights in or to the Advanced
    Technology, the works comprising it or the information and materials embodied in such works,
    and Parishioner's use thereof shall at all times be consistent with Scientology scripture, policy
    and the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
    7. Parishioner shall faithfully comply with all policies, rules and regulations duly issued by or
    through FSO respecting the confidentiality, security and non-disclosure of the Advanced
    Technology.
    8. Parishioner understands and acknowledges that the confidentiality of the Advanced
    Technology is to be maintained forever by FSO, by all other Churches of Scientology and
    affiliated organizations, and by their respective parishioners and staff, including Parishioner.
    Accordingly, Parishioner acknowledges that it is his obligation to maintain confidentiality of the
    entirety and all parts of the Advanced Technology and to take steps to avoid its unauthorized
    use or disclosure in any form or manner whatsoever. Parishioner shall immediately notify the
    Ethics Officer at FSO of any unauthorized use or disclosure of which Parishioner becomes aware
    or may suspect.
    9. Parishioner shall at no time, challenge, under any laws now or hereinafter enacted, the
    validity, ownership or enforcement of any rights in and to the Advanced Technology or any of
    the information, materials or works relating thereto, or otherwise take any action which would
    be detrimental to FSO, its licensor and/or any other duly licensed Church of Scientology, or
    assist any other person or entity in doing so, under any laws now or hereinafter enacted.
    10.Parishioner acknowledges and agrees that the continuing harm to FSO, to all
    other churches of Scientology and affiliated organizations that would result from his/her breach
    of any of the provisions of this Agreement, including but not limited to Parishioner's
    unauthorized use or disclosure, of all or in any part, of the Advanced Technology or the
    information, materials or works comprising it, would not be readily compensable monetarily
    and would hence constitute irreparable harm. Therefore, Parishioner hereby consents to the
    entry of temporary, preliminary and permanent injunctive relief against Parishioner should
    Parishioner breach or threaten to breach any of the terms of this Agreement, without requiring
    the enforcing party to post a bond or make any undertaking as a condition of such relief except
    to the extent an undertaking may, under applicable law, be required, in which event Parishioner
    recognizes that an undertaking of $10,000 shall be adequate to cover any economic interest
    (including Parishioner's attorneys' fees). In addition, Parishioner acknowledges and agrees that
    not only would it be extremely difficult to determine or calculate the actual monetary damages
    resulting from his/her breach of any of the provisions of this Agreement, but that FSO and/or its
    licensor will be required to incur significant legal fees and costs to protect and preserve the
    Advanced Technology, as it is scripturally and contractually bound to do. As such, Parishioner
    agrees to reimburse FSO and/or its licensor, for FSO's or its licensor's legal fees for each such
    breach by Parishioner. Further, Parishioner agrees to pay FSO and its licensor the total amount of
    $100,000 for each such breach by Parishioner. Parishioner understands that these provisions
    constitute a reimbursement, not a penalty, and that this agreement is a reasonable arrangement
    to make FSO and/or its licensor whole for the foreseeable losses that might result from any such
    breach. Parishioner further understands and acknowledges that each breach by Parishioner of
    this Agreement shall be treated as a seperate breach, including each subsequent unauthorized
    act, such as unauthorized possession, reproduction, dissemination, preparation of derivative
    works, and/or use or disclosure of the information underlying or comprising the Advanced
    Technology by any third party (including third party disclosures to another individual or
    organization) which results, directly or indirectly, from Parishioners initial unauthorized use or
    disclosure.
    11. In the event that any provisions of the Agreement shall be declared to be void or otherwise
    unenforceable under applicable law, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and
    effect. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit or burden, as the case
    may be, of the respective heirs, successors and assigns of the parties.
    12. This Agreement is for the benefit of FSO and its licensor and shall be enforceable by FSO or
    its licensor (which, for these purposes, shall be a third party beneficiary of Parishioner's duties
    and obligations under this Agreement and shall have the right to enforce, legally and equitably,
    those duties and obligations directly against parishioner) in the event of any breach by
    Parishioner. Parishioner further acknowledges that FSO, as an authorized licensee of certain
    rights in the Advanced Technology, is authorized to enforce the restrictions on use and
    disclosure of the Advanced Technology described in this Agreement without the joinder of the
    licensor and that any equitable remedies FSO may receive shall be fully enforceable by it and/or
    its licensor.
    ____________________________________ _______________________________
    Parishioner Date
    ____________________________________ _______________________________
    Witness Date
    For Church of Scientology
    Flag Service Organization, Inc.[/SPOILER]
  35. Anonymous Member

Murder should outweigh privilege, especially when scn may say something completely different in court vs any papers found, including papers explaining alleged charitable/business ministerial acts (agency agreement) as recorded on WISE papers.
  36. tikk Member

Murder confessions don't outweigh the privilege, else it wouldn't be much of a privilege. Generally speaking, the privilege is only outweighed by an imminent physical threat to someone living.
  37. tikk Member

Thanks for this. There's nothing in here about material/work produced by the member in conjunction with services, which kind of surprises me. I imagine that will change after this, should his session notes come into play. I don't think it's a deciding factor in a question of whether his session notes are privileged communications, necessarily, but it's a fact which goes against finding them privileged, since they're not even recognized in the confidentiality agreement. How are they recognized elsewhere?
  38. Belladonna Member

And this privilege outweighs confidentiality in psychiatric/psychological counseling? If so, how can that be acceptable?
  39. tikk Member

The priest-penitent privilege doesn't outweigh psych counseling privilege; most state statutes address them in the same paragraph. Different factual scenarios dictate how the courts will treat each, but there's no question of one trumping the other. Maybe I don't understand your question though.
  40. Belladonna Member

No, that was my question. I have gotten the vague impression (dilettante etc) that psychological records could be made available in crime investigations, and was disturbed by how Australia claimed priest-penitent privilege on McBride. (Yes I know different countries have different laws, but as a concept I can't see how one can be more important than another)

Ignore my input if it has no relevance.
    This was interesting to know. Thanks for the response.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.