Customize

1312-1314 Chestnut Street // Philadelphia PA // United States

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by Anonymous, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

1312-1314 Chestnut Street // Philadelphia PA // United States

A old news article came up on the radar today:

Church of Scientology buys site in Center City | Philadelphia Inquirer | 1 July 2007:

I don't think this "ideal org" is occupied, or even renovated, and still, it is completely exempt from taxation, since 2008:

BRT Website: Property Search

Doesn't seem right to me. isn't?
  2. RightOn Member

Re: 1312-1314 Chestnut Street // Philadelphia PA // United States

well look at the "ideal org" in New Haven, Connecticut they bought long ago.
    That one has not been renovated yet. It has been like 8 years or something?
    Is that one tax free too?
  3. BigBeard Member

I'm missing something here. I though property tax exemption for churches and charities didn't start until construction, renovation, or use for religious/charitable purposes actually started.

Otherwise a building could be purchased, sit empty and tax free for umpteen years (not a bad thing in this case), and then be 'use changed' for a profit maker, e.g., Author's Services. In the mean time the city has lost all that tax revenue for nothing.

Anyone in Philly know who to contact to find out how tax exemption actually works there?

BigBeard
  4. Anonymous Member

Author's Services is no longer a for-profit entity, it belongs entirely to CST. That's my understanding of the current corporate shell game.
  5. OTBT Member

6. Anonymous Member

There is an apparent reason -- sale date: 6/15/2007

Pennsylvania went thru a massive property tax overhaul, so hugely different than before that it was phased in over 3yrs (2007, 2008, 2009).

Any property sold during the transition phases had the ability to automatically dispute their tax assessment adjustment if the increase was > than a certain % without paying the usual fee to dispute the assessment and have it redone. (This was in lieu of just grandfathering in old assessments on property title that were in flux).

2010 is the year for fixing all those automatic disputes, as well as getting the manually filed disputes on new tax assessments resolved.

IOW - its a big freaking mess for thousands of PA property holders, and the older the building is the worse it is for those who have seen their property taxes nearly double or even triple each year for the past 3 yrs do to a badly done assessment done by legions of unknowledge college student temps who redid every single property assessment in the state during the summers of 2005 & 2006.